Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best line for Salmon

Default Best line for Salmon

I am coming to the Kenai peninsula in June and will be fishing Russian, Anchor Point, Kenai and Kasilof. Needed opinions on best all around line, Mono, flourocarbon, or braided. I was leaning toward the flouracarbon for the sensitivity I will need on the Russian. Any opinions?

Default Mono

20# Maxima Ultragreen mono with various size flourocarbon leader spools to match conditions at your location.

To me that would cover all the bases.

Talking Ande

Ande line all the way, mono over braid, flouro has its place but these fish are not line shy and I would rather have the better properties of mono over flouro.

now lets see....who is going to say Trilene big game, P-Line...braid etc....
    Lot's of choices out there but if you have used something since you were a kid and have confidence in it stick with it.
    20 lb main line should suffice for June, have leaders up to 12-40 depending on species and water.
    No need to use Marlin gear but don't sell yourself short

a flyline with 0x tippet
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Maxima Ultragreen!!!

I used to use other stuff, but after trying this for my tippet on my flyrod I'll never go back. I personally use a 12 lb. tippet for reds, but I fish way upstream where I've got room to play them for a while. If you're in the combat fishing zone, it's probably better to go with 20 lb. test so that you can pull them in quickly and get out of the way.

-Brian

I use Maxima Chameleon almost exclusively and love it!! 25lbs test Maxim Chameleon for Kings and 15 lbs for other salmon. This stuff is ideal for rocky streams, baitcasters, and flyrod leaders.

Whatever you choose, do not use a braided line. I tried it a couple of times and it would snap so easily I couldnt believe it. I do not know if the chafing caused it to snap or it was just the power of the reds.
    But after trying three different type of 40-50 pound test braided line I went back to mono on my bait casters.
    But flipping a fly rod is still a better way for reds.
    Tennessee

another vote for maxima ultragreen, both as mainline and tippet. Reason is abrasion resistance.

Default Fishing Line

The choice of fishing line depends a lot on your equipment. I like 20lb Maxima ultra green on a bait casting reel, or fly reel flipping for reds on the Russian. 20lb green would work well on the Anchor drift fishing for Kings. However, if you prefer a spinning reel I would go with a limper line with less memory, such as Trilene Big Game, P-Line or Silver Thread. I really enjoy float (bobber) fishing for Kings, and only use braided line which can be mended easier for better line control. Braid also allows me to use a smaller reel loaded with 30lb Tuff line or Power Pro = 8lb mono.

However, I would stick with mono in combat situations because it's hard to untangle braid.

I have Power Pro super braid on 90% of my reels. I'm a big fan of Power Pro. I use 80# Power Pro for halibut, kings, reds, silvers and pinks. I catch alot of fish and never break off. The only thing I use mono for is the kings in the Homer fishing hole, where I use 6 lb. Maxima ultra green, because the kings can't see it. I used mono for 25 years until I discovered Power Pro.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Braid is the worst thing ever in freshwater, its great for halibut but in freshwater its a surefire way to break rods, get nasty line cuts, and loose big fish because the lack of stretch. I usually use stren as mainline if I'm baitcasting (saltwater salmon) 14# extra strength, really it doesn't matter all that much if you go with a major brand (berkley, sten, maxima). For leader I use a butt section of ultragreen (so nice and stiff and clear) and then rio tippets just because I like the soft suppleness of rio the decreased diameter that comes with premium tippet material. I also like how well it stacks on the lanyard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Braid is the worst thing ever in freshwater.
    Oh really?

Every line has its place depending on the application.

Braid shines for backbouncing, backtrolling giant plugs, trolling herring, and fishing floats... where it has no equal.

Mono has its place for drift-fishing and pitching/retrieving hardware. It probably can't be beat for the ubiquitous short-line flip-N-rip technique employed in all of the KP's shore-based meat-market fisheries.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I've used braid very successfully for the last 5 years in freshwater. Even for crappie, I used to use the 8 lb. line which is 1 lb. diameter. I mainly use, 8, 20, 50 and 80.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Oh really?

Every line has its place depending on the application.

Braid shines for backbouncing, backtrolling giant plugs, trolling herring, and fishing floats... where it has no equal.

Mono has its place for drift-fishing and pitching/retrieving hardware. It probably can't be beat for the ubiquitous short-line flip-N-rip technique employed in all of the KP's shore-based meat-market fisheries.
    i guided back trollers for kings for a summer and braid had much worse hooking, and landing ratios and also broke more rods than mono. The only thing braid was good for was a mainline on these

the problem with braid is the total lack of stretch which is great if you are hooking a halibut 100 yards from you but is terrible unless you are lightning fast. Put a hook on a peice of string and a hook on a stretched rubber band and see which one hooks better with less force the rubber band will every time. Now see which is easier to release tension, once again the hook will stay in longer with the rubber band, sure the rubber band can take less force but thats what your reel is for. I've never caught a king on over 20# test, ever, only hooked and lost them.. On braid

Thumbs up

Another vote for Maxima Ultragreen. For reds, I fish straight 15 pound test when drift fishing or casting a fly on the Russian. On the Kenai, I prefer to run straight 20.

While pursuing silvers on other streams, I like to cast hardware with a spinning rig using 12 pound line.

I used braided line for an entire fishing season, and let me tell you, it was the most worthless crap I have ever wrapped around my spool. It's not for everyone ,and some have great luck with it but I hate it. It was many years ago and I forgot the brand but I watched a small cut on the line completely unravel and break in half when I was fighting a silver. I couldnt keep a knot, had constant problems with rat's nests, and it is almost impossible to untangle. Maybe one season isnt enough to judge the capability of braided line, but it was enough for me to realize that type of line was not for me.

I like to keep it simple and basic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Another vote for Maxima Ultragreen. For reds, I fish straight 15 pound test when drift fishing or casting a fly on the Russian. On the Kenai, I prefer to run straight 20.

While pursuing silvers on other streams, I like to cast hardware with a spinning rig using 12 pound line.
    my preference too, 20 is essential on the lower kenai for sure.

Wink

Have you ever tried YO-ZURI hybrid? I"m not much of a spin fisherman but this is what I have been using for kings,and coho's. Its got good knot strength, better than solid floro, which chafes to easily when sliding the knots tight. I use it for my leader butt 15 lbs to 12 lbs,for my tippit for drift fishing,( running line with spey rod, and attached weight.) It feels more like maxima ultra in your hands ,and not as stiff as floro. I think it gives you a more natural drift with flies. Oh the river that I fish is fast, and solid rock so I know it holds up well as the salmon drag you down stream! Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default I find...

For the Russian, & reds, that the least expensive brand in Wallys/Kmart, @ 6-10lb test mono has been my best...worked every time I ever went to the Russion for reds...
    Last edited by gogoalie; 03-08-2007 at 03:30. Reason: added one word

For reds, silvers, and steehead? A floating fly line with 10# Maxima Chameleon leader. If baitcasting I use Maxima Chameleon 10#. For Susitina area kings? The same story except the Chameleon is 15#. My wife and kid's rods get 20# for kings. Even in the Kenai I've never used anything heavier than 30# and I didn't enjoy that very much. I prefer light lines, light rods, and smaller reels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast