Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I never liked jigs, till last night.....

Default I never liked jigs, till last night.....

After seeing a bunch of spawners across the lake, I decided to hoke over there and see if I could tie onto one.....I got 3. First off, they were like any spawner, and wouldn't take anything I would throw at them, then I found I had 2 jigs in my tackle box, one was "regular" with pink black and yellow, about the right size for steel head. The other one was one I tied onto one of those hooks that come with the salmon vibrax's, not expecting to ever use it, but I had some loose material, you know how that is. it was purple, yellow and black, with a itsy bit of olive.

I hooked one that was about 27-30 inches, that hit and snapped my line in about 3 seconds, I was fishing about 4 feet of the bank, in 5 inches of water. using a bobber (that barely held it up) so I switched to my "bad" one, and in 10 seconds WHAM! it got hit by a 20-22 incher that made it on to the bank, but got off before I could take a picture.

The next one I got on video, and it is a pain in the butt to reel in a HAWG while videoing it.

3 fish, that, had I not got the guts to call a girl that I know (I studder, so that had a bit to do with it,Thats when I saw all my 'stuff" laying there, and tied while I was talking)...

I think I'll use jigs a little more for spawners in the future....maybe I'll call that girl back, and get out my hackle, maribou, maybe some yarn, and see what comes out next.

Nice catch! You have that jig hooked to a bobber? Never would have thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Nice catch! You have that jig hooked to a bobber? Never would have thought of that.
    Ya, the were in 5 inches of water with a ton of rock that I kept getting hung up on, so I rigged up a bobber to keep it a couple inches up, in the picture, the bobber is a little higher than I would have had it rigged when fishing, but it would work at any depth, I spose. This time of year the trout are spawning in the shallows so they are easy to get to from the bank.

When they swam by, I would give it a little twitch....seemed to work good.

I'm gonna get some popcorn.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Awesome fish!!! Fun stuff!

FF

Great pic BTW
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Farmgirl View Post
    Awesome fish!!! Fun stuff!

FF

Great pic BTW
    Thanks! I usualy manage to pull 4 or 5 of that porportion outta the lake, I kinda got a system down in the summer, I've never caught 3 that big in one night though!

Default Here comes the Valley Closures because of this very sh*t...

Ripping spawning fish off of their beds in 5" of water, dragging em up onto the gravel for a pic.......

Dude, they where BIG fish because they are mature spawners. Harassing 'em whilst they spawn is a pretty good way to um.....PREVENT THEM FROM SPAWNING....

Yeah dirt....Pass me some of that popcorn, while we wait for the "How to dynamite Kings in the redds for pure enjoyment" thread.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Ripping spawning fish off of their beds in 5" of water, dragging em up onto the gravel for a pic.......

Dude, they where BIG fish because they are mature spawners. Harassing 'em whilst they spawn is a pretty good way to um.....PREVENT THEM FROM SPAWNING....

Yeah dirt....Pass me some of that popcorn, while we wait for the "How to dynamite Kings in the redds for pure enjoyment" thread.....
    Dang Hippie, at least wait for the microwave to beep!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

haha... Somehow I saw that coming.... like JMG hunting with Vince..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

WOW!! You must be so proud! Pass the pop corn?

can rainbows spawn successfully in the lakes?

I've always been curious since I've heard many times that they can't unless there's some running water...any truth to that?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

So you let the pictured fish go?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Actually if that is a stocked lake there is a pretty good chance that they were sterile fish(For the slightly less informed that means they cant reproduce/Spawn).So Ripping them off of their redd's means absolutely nothing.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Im assuming hes fishing at biglake according to his location, which is wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    Actually if that is a stocked lake there is a pretty good chance that they were sterile fish(For the slightly less informed that means they cant reproduce/Spawn).So Ripping them off of their redd's means absolutely nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame
    After seeing a bunch of spawners across the lake
    Based on the OP's own statement, they where spawners.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Based on the OP's own statement, they where spawners.
    So what? I call Any fish "Trying" To get it on a "Spawner" Regardless if they truly can or can't.Seeing as how Fishwhacker informed us it was a wild trout My argument is invalid.I may not agree with catch and release fishing but I do respect those who do it....As well as expect that same respect from them.Hippie you Know I will respect your opinions and realize I may not agree with them but I will try to understand them.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

I've always been curious since I've heard many times that they can't unless there's some running water...any truth to that?
    Does it matter? Dead fish don't spawn.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Does it matter? Dead fish don't spawn.
    Apparently being an arse doesn't matter to you....

It was a side question out of curiousity,...I suppose that when you don't know the answer we can count on you to act stupid....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

In the wild, most varieties of rainbows spawn in the spring, however, spawning may occur anytime of the year. Spawning
    takes place in small tributaries, often at the inlet or outlet of a lake, where water temperatures reach 50 to 60 F (10-16 C).
    The spawning site is usually the tail of a pool, or the riffle at the head of a pool, where gravel bars have ample oxygen-rich
    water, and no suffocating silt. Before spawning, males undergo astounding anatomical changes. A male's jaws lengthen and
    the lower jaw develops a kype . All fish become darker when in spawning condition. Their spots become more prominent
    and the pink stripe more intense.

References:
    Stolz, Judith and Judith Schnell, 1991. The Wildlife Series - Trout.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I'd never go near a spawner in rivers and streams, but in stocked lakes without streams the picture is a whole bunch different. I'm acquainted with two lakes stocked with fry by ADF&G. It got to the point you never caught any smaller fish, and if you caught any at all they were huge. Decided to kill a few fish and see what was going on. A 26" rainbow had 13 freshly stocked rainbow fry along with the usual array of sticklebacks. A 29.5" bow had 34 rainbow fry in its belly and nothing else.

Now I make a foray for spawners each year, and if I'm catching hogs and nothing else, it's time to kill a few fish. Rewards come a couple of years later when once again you start seeing fish that survive to the "catchable" stage.

Not a rule for all waters, but a blanket statement against fishing for spawners is pretty naive in the bigger picture. If they can't spawn, all they're going to do is keep growing and eat more and more of the smaller fish. Depends on whether you want a lake with a very few large fish generously fed with fry by ADG&G, or a healthy spread of fish sizes and lots more fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast