Thread: weighted line

Default weighted line

Last year i watched a guy useing a weighted tip fishing for reds on the Kenai, looked to me like the ultimate flossing rig.
    He was useing a flypole the weighted tip was the equivelent of a 3/4 oz sinker with no bigger lump on his line than a couple of knots.
    i don't think it was just the run of the mill sinking tip, anybody have any ideas on what he might of been useing?

Might be Deepwater Express or leadcore.

Thanks Tee Jay for the reply,, I will probably play around with some lead core or sinking line before i head up to see if it will sink fast enough to get a good drift.

ya still have to get your leader and hook down in them.....some guys have the technique down to a science.....

Go to any fly shop and ask for some T-14 or something similar. It is Tungstun infused line. Get about 12 feet and cut to 6', 4' and 2' sections and whip a loop or nail knot 30# mono for loops to connect to fly line and leader. With the 3 different lengths you can add or remove/play with it to get the correct depth. This way when the hook comes out or line breaks you don't have the 3/4oz of lead cannon ball coming at your head or your neighbors head. Making loops on each end by folding back and wrapping with tying thread and glueing make a much better connection than the nail knot, just make sure you make the loops large enough to loop to loop each other. Good luck.

George

BINGO!!! you nailed it George ,, that is exactly what that fella was doing,, I just couldnt remember the Tungstun infused line part,,
    and the way you described everything else was also exactly the way he did it.
    Were you fishing the powerline hole for Reds last year around the 20th of june??

And the not having the 3/4 oz weight flying around was one of the biggest reasons i wanted to try this, plus not getting hung up on bottom much at all, and i can't imagine having a better feel during your drift,,so many good reasons to go this route like i said above it looked like the ultimate flossing rig..
    Can't thank you enough for posting that up George,, good luck to ya this year..

Slimm,

It wasn't me on the powerline hole, I am on the Kvichak all summer long. Sockeye fishing is about the same technique with the exception that the Kvichak is clear and you can see all the fish that are just a rod tip away.

Thanks for the "Good Luck"cast, you to and be safe. That goes to ever yone this year.

George