Thread: Bilge Pumps not shutting off?

Cool Bilge Pumps not shutting off?

Was coming back this past Thursday from a 4 day black bear hunt in PWS when the seas kicked up to 5-6 footers. I have the Hewes 26ft. Alaskan, which has 2 bilge pumps. Well, the good thing is they kicked on while pulling my shrimp buts but the bad thing is they would not shut off until I pulled the fuse? Anyone ever had this happen or know what may be causing this?

I had a sticking water level switch, had to reach through the access hole on the ET and bump the switch on occasion.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I had a johnson Ultima Bilge switch go bad (not float, but fluid detector cells). Had to also pull the fuse to get it to stop. Upon post-mortom analysis, it appeared that the heat-shrink connectors that were supposed to be waterproof maybe were too hot during the original shrink... and were actually split a bit... and it appears maybe water had actually shorted the line.

~AkboatR

Quote Originally Posted by WVBoy View Post
    Was coming back this past Thursday from a 4 day black bear hunt in PWS when the seas kicked up to 5-6 footers. I have the Hewes 26ft. Alaskan, which has 2 bilge pumps. Well, the good thing is they kicked on while pulling my shrimp buts but the bad thing is they would not shut off until I pulled the fuse? Anyone ever had this happen or know what may be causing this?
    Had the same thing happen to mine last year, brought it in to Deweys and low and behold, there was some type of a wiring recall. My boat is a 2008. It was a quick fix and problem was solved. Also might want to check to see of any debris is around your bildge.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think it's going to be something with the wiring as I didn't remove much debris from around the bilges. Chico, my boat is a 2007 so I will call Dewey's and see if there is a recall.

Had this happen yesterday, the float switch was stuck, probably has some crap inside of it...

Had it happen twice. Once the switch went bad and the other time some oil had mixed with small particles of debris in the bilge and gummed up the float lever.

A few years back I bought one of the less expensive West Marine bilge pumps with integral water sensor as a backup pump. Had the boat sitting in the front yard and heard something running, turned out to be the WM pump. Had to pull the fuse to shut it off and found the sensor partially melted. Took the pump back to WM and purchased a name brand pump and float switch.

Thanks for the help guys; float switch was definitely stuck and I now understand the importance of clearing them of "dog hair"! My dogs love the boat but man is their hair brutal!! Hope everyone is getting out on the water this weekend. Will be at Paulson Cabin with the family.