Thread: Takedown Bow?

Question Takedown Bow?

http://www.henaultarchery.com/index.htm

Saw this advertised in The Backwoodsman Magazine. Thoughts?

At 42 lbs it's not really going to be for LARGE big game animals. it will however take animals like blacktails or smaller. It may not have a very fast string speed and very wary animals might jump the string.
    I would consider one for an airplane or raft use. As a bow around camp can take a lot of small game quietly and produce food in a survival situation. Due to it's light weight and small take-down size; I would consider using carbon arrows to both reduce carried weight and increase arrow speed. Check and see if it is capable of using a "Fast-Flight" string as that can also increase arrow speeds. A Black Widow tab is faster and lighter than a three fingered glove and helps to stop string plucking.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Heavier weight available

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    At 42 lbs it's not really going to be for LARGE big game animals. it will however take animals like blacktails or smaller. It may not have a very fast string speed and very wary animals might jump the string.
    I would consider one for an airplane or raft use. As a bow around camp can take a lot of small game quietly and produce food in a survival situation. Due to it's light weight and small take-down size; I would consider using carbon arrows to both reduce carried weight and increase arrow speed. Check and see if it is capable of using a "Fast-Flight" string as that can also increase arrow speeds. A Black Widow tab is faster and lighter than a three fingered glove and helps to stop string plucking.
    Looking at the henaultarchery.com website, I see there are (2) sizes available and they look pretty nice. The 52" bow is 42# @28", and there is a 56" bow with a draw weight of 52" @ 28".

Martin makes a recurve takedown with about the same dimensions and cost except it will launch faster and cast farther than the bow pictured, it will also have a higher resale than the bows pictured. I think SW carries some models in fairbanks.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2012/tradbows.php
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

PSE has some too.

A 40 lb bow with 175 gr broadhead might out penetrate a lighter arrow from a 55lb within 20 yds or so...not for long range but up close it'll serve you well and a lot of animals die when shot inside inside 20 yds.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

pse's are samicks...most are junk! Look for used! best you can do for about the same price.

Look for a checkmate hunter or hunter II used. good price!

Let me rephras that..most of the samicks or samick offshoots are of a quality your 200 or so dollars would be better spent elsewhere!

There's a bunch of takedown bows on the market so if you're patient you can find a pretty smoking deal especially in this economy on a good quality bow that will last you a long time barring you dont roll down the side of a sheep mountain with it . Dont ask how I know that one cough cough!

Checkmate hunters or hunter II's are good bows for the price. They're not an overly priced bow new (bowyer no longer builds under the checkmate name to my knowledge). Marc still builds Steve Gorr's bows at cascade archery but they are much more spendy!!!

In the end look around the sites...stickbow, tradgang, archerytalk, ebay...do some research and you'll be very pleased you did! Buy quality once and you'll never regret it!

I didn't know PSE was using Samick parts but I did a fair amount of research on the PSE Heritage line when I wanted a couple recurves to get shoulder back in shape following surgery and found great comments for them. I have been happy with a 20 and 30 lb recurves I bought from PSE and for the price they work just fine. They are starter bows and you can't expect more than your money's worth.

There are certainly better quality used bows available out there and ones that are properly used and cared for they are a good deal. Had a friend who bought a used bow from Ebay for his son and it broke the 2nd or 3 rd time it was pulled...not saying they are all that way.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

At one time the higher end I believe were made off the old sky forms (early hoyts stuff that mathews now owns)....The low end stuff is just that...for a 20 or 30lb bow it really wont matter. There's so few middle priced bows anymore. It wasnt all that long ago I paid 180 bucks for a new off the shelf damon howatt hunter, I think they were pushing 500 up here not so long ago!!!. The op link posted was on a 42 and 52lb bow...I would assume as much as a starter bow its also going to be used to hunt with at some point. My apologies for assuming!

Kinda like buying optics, spend 90 bucks 3 times or spend 300 now. If I would have listened to my old man I'd have a few pair of nice bino's by now lol.

As for bad bows, it can and unfortunatly does happen...ebay is a bad place or can be. know the sellers and pay attention to feed back. Tradgang is pretty good overall though I've been stuck with a pretty nice one awhile back. Was into collecting old mags/books, bought a stack to fill out a collection I was after at the time and nothing ever came. I've bought quite a few bows off tg anyways and been pleased. Done a little wheeling and dealing on AT and done ok also. Heck not long ago there was a 50lb blackwidow older model....if I had 300 I would have bought it and another 300 for his bighorn recurve on aklist.

Buying used trad gear is tough to begin with. Looking for hair line cracks can be almost impossible in the wrong lighting. Miss one and it could go boom.

If you're near by I got an older recurve you can zing arrows with. Its not pretty, nothing serious but you can shoot it till you find something you'd like to buy. I was thinking of refinishing it and havent gotten around to it.

Default New Concept

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Martin makes a recurve takedown with about the same dimensions and cost except it will launch faster and cast farther than the bow pictured, it will also have a higher resale than the bows pictured. I think SW carries some models in fairbanks.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2012/tradbows.php
    The Henault bow is a whole different concept than the Martin TD recurve bow. The Henault bow is much easier to setup and takedown and it's a lighter and easier bow to use and takes up a lot less space. The martin TD recurve might cast a slight bit faster if it doesn't de-laminate as some like to do. Also, I believe the Henault straight limb bow will be the more accurate of the two.

www.henaultarchery.com