Thread: November Duck Hunting?

Default November Duck Hunting?

Hi Everyone,

I just moved up here about a year ago from Minnesota and am looking to getting into some waterfowl hunting. I have done a lot of hunting in Minnesota and the Dakotas and really like the late season diver hunting we do in November. I live in Wasilla and have talked with people that have hunted the flats but that all seems like early season.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for some November hunting? I am guessing it will have to be mostly sea ducks maybe out of Valdez or Homer. I have found some guided hunts online but they are extremely spendy and quite honestly I don't need an all inclusive hunt. I would prefer to stay in a public use cabin or cheap hotel. I have a boat and plenty of decoys but just need some ideas on some decent places to try out. I would even be willing to go with a guide a few times just to get to know the lay of the land.

Any direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is not MN or the Dakotas. When we ice up in mid October to early November the fresh water ducks are gone to places with soft water. The only late season hunting is for sea ducks unless you go to some remote spots that don't freeze too bad like Kodiak or Southeast.

There are lots of sea ducks in Prince William Sound out of Whittier. You can also head to Homer and hunt across the bay. Other than that you are looking at long distance trips to spots that are not frozen up.

Spend 30 seconds searching on here and you will get lots of information.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about Homer and Halibut Cove or similar but didn't even think of Whittier. I plan on getting out to The Sound out of Whittier this summer. I'll be sure to scout around for some decent hunting spots for late season. I'll do some more searching on here also.

You must go south to find late season ducks. Look at some old posts here, some in homer, etc hunting the salt and some rivers have open areas to hunt. A lot depends on the weather trends that year. Some years we can be done here in mid Oct, some into Nov a bit. One trip I've heard of but not tried. Take the ferry to Port Lions. From what I hear, you can hunt there close to town, not sure what is offered, do a search, but I have heard it can be awsome hunting. Cordove can also offer some late hunting. Bud

When scouting this summer. Don't be shocked if you see only a few birds to none at all. That all will change Sept. Best hunting in whitter, Homer, is Oct and nov. Dec also can be awesome but you are now dealing with daylight issue.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Well said, Alaska Grey. There can be some real fun hunting late season if the season doesnt turn real bad. Homer areas are great late. Kodiak great. Cordova. Some of the big lakes and rivers on the kenai. I chase late season mallards down here. Can't give away too many secrets, but there are usually some birds around.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

December hunting is awesome up here if you are in the right spot , like they said you need to find open water and have a gun which does not mind the bracish water and ice.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Hunting sea ducks is a great experience . It has become my new passion. I love how open it is and no worries about over hunters shooting your decoys. I love the fast action. Most of all the beauty of these birds. They are tough birds to bring down at times.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Do people really shoot your decoys in Anchorage? I've had moose hunters in my decoys up here but so far I've only seen a few other hunters around. EDIT: I should specify that I've only seen a few duck hunters around. There is a metric shat-ton of moose hunters.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Skinny, yes I had that three times at Jim and Maud lake. Last year I had a boat with two adults and young kid in a boat motor close to my decoys and cut the motor. Then shot my decoys. When my decoys did get up a flyaway, they knew what they did and turned engine on quick and left the area really fast.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Do people really shoot your decoys in Anchorage?
    It was close one morning. I was sitting on an alder lump on the edge of Leaf Lake in the Jim Creek swamps. Camo head to toe leaning up against some dead alders. Nature's own easy chair. I was getting over flights of singles and pairs coming into my few decoys I had set in a small cove along the shore. About every 10 birds one or two birds would slow down and take a look, the few that actually landed stayed for dinner.

Across Leaf Lake some guys were set up in a large boat and the ducks trading over me were headed towards them. About 10am those guys picked up and started to circle around the lake. I had one motion duck butt making ripples. It sucked the guys right into the cove. When the guy in the bow shouldered his gun I lost my nerve and stood up and aimed my own gun at his head. They had not turned off the motor, were still under power and would have shot me in the legs based on how they were coming in with me directly behind my decoys. Like the scoff laws they are they high tailed it out of there.

In the same area I have had moose hunters in canoes and airboats go through decoy sets. Last year it was two lost fisheries bios using a pre earth quake map of the area going the wrong way.

Jim leake area is crazy for the first few days og opening season
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've seen a couple teals and a mallard in a active beaver dam that I was trappin, sometime in mid november. saw a bear out in november too, I guess I should pack the ol mossberg for the first month of trappin eh?