Thread: Thoughts on these flies.

Default Thoughts on these flies.

This is what I have been working on for my trip for Kings. Most of them are on the heavy side to get them down deeper in the saltwater. What are your thoughts? Anything you think definately needs to be added to the collection?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20110520_133810.jpg  

Some might work, some I would not bet on. Then again, my box has the same pattern.

I would be curious to hear which ones do the job. I would provide the same, of course.

well cockadooledoo! semper fi to you too! nice to meet another Marine!
    Semper Fi!

It might just be the photo.. but they all look small/sparse. Tie some stuff up with more meat to them. BIG, FAT, Wiggly, articulating stuff. And more black, more blue, more chartruese, more pink. Less of that crystal flash stuff.. If you want to add flash, I'd go with just a couple strips of flashabou.

That's my opinion anyway. Worth about as much as a turd in a toilet.. but like the turd.. at least it's out now.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    well cockadooledoo! semper fi to you too! nice to meet another Marine!
    Cockadooledoo? Things have taken a strange turn since they got rid of DADT.

Hoorah.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    It might just be the photo.. but they all look small/sparse. Tie some stuff up with more meat to them. BIG, FAT, Wiggly, articulating stuff. And more black, more blue, more chartruese, more pink. Less of that crystal flash stuff.. If you want to add flash, I'd go with just a couple strips of flashabou.

That's my opinion anyway. Worth about as much as a turd in a toilet.. but like the turd.. at least it's out now.
    Ha...so far as I can figure from putting together all the responses from my couple of posts and from talking to my buddies, my flies are too big, too small, too sparse, too thick, too sparkly, not sparkly enough, perfect for kings, and not suited at all for fish in general much less Kings. But, I should be ok if I strip the line fast, medium, and slow and fish near the bottom and near the surface.

Not being a smart ass. Just funny to see all the different opinions. Guess I'll just have to get out there and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Ha...so far as I can figure from putting together all the responses from my couple of posts and from talking to my buddies, my flies are too big, too small, too sparse, too thick, too sparkly, not sparkly enough, perfect for kings, and not suited at all for fish in general much less Kings. But, I should be ok if I strip the line fast, medium, and slow and fish near the bottom and near the surface.

Not being a smart ass. Just funny to see all the different opinions. Guess I'll just have to get out there and see what happens.
    so basically we are all a really big help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice looking spread man.

I am with ICB on adding a few darker offerings. Perhaps a large profile black maribou pattern would add some balance to the kit.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.