Thread: Anyone use this method for attaching the leader to the line?

Default Anyone use this method for attaching the leader to the line?

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=0wHGN1sYYKI

Came across this and it looks like a clean setup. Just wondering if it's worth the effort and if it will hold up. Any of you guys use this?

That link doesn't take me to anything resembling a knot tying demo. Can you fix it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=0wHGN1sYYKI

Does this work now? Sorry, I am stuck using my phone for the time being and it doesn't allow me to click on links.

Loop to Loop is a nice way to attach leader to fly line. If your fly line didn't come with a loop that's how you can add one to the end.

You can also just make your own welded loop. Comes out a little cleaner but probably not as easy. Mike at Mossy's does them for you if you want them done.

I've got to let it load for half an hour or so due to my slow connection, but I'm interested enough to wait.

In the meantime I'll add this:

A Nail Knot is nothing more than a Uni Knot. If you can tie one of those, you can tie a Nail Knot- no tools and just as fast. I just tie the Uni with the leader about a foot up from the end of the fly line, then close it about 90%. Once it's almost all the way closed, slide it down to the endof the fly line, then tighten and clip. The whole operation doesn't take 30 seconds and you can almost do it in the dark by feel. Probably could even do that with a little practice, as a matter of fact.

It's so easy that I use back-to-back nail knots to join braid to mono and to join shock tippets to class tippets for big game leaders.

Okay, that loop technique has been around for about 50 years. We used to use it back in the 1960's to put loops in our shooting heads, as well as to make our own "multi-tip" sink tips. We also used to strip and splice sections of fly lines to make our own "uniform sink" heads mating low d, high d, and lead core.

Speaking from purely practical experience, I think the "star" is going from theory, books, and owning a fly bobbin. He stipped the end of the fly line, but if he doesn't also strip the place where it mates back against the fly line when he forms the loop, he's going to get slippage sooner or later. Just the way it is, and no amount of thread or glue will change it. Been there, done that.

Try it and be entertained, and maybe it will work for you. I'm a Nail Knot guy now that I threw away the tool.

I like the technique that video demonstrated. Looks like a fairly easy knot to master and pretty strong to boot.

The nail knot using the Tie-Fast nail knot tool is my preference. Childishly simple to use and very strong knot. Video belows shows it and you can buy them at most any fly shop. Cabelas sells them if you shop online. I keep one on my fly vest and one or two spares just in case.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have had nail knots strip off the fly line coating and you lose the leader. There is an easy way to stop that. Tie an overhead knot in the end of your flyline. Don't close it all the way. Run a piece of 40# mono up thru it. tie a Uni knot around the fly line with the mono. Just snug it and work the two knots down onto each other. The two knots pulling on each other can't slip. Tie a loop in the mono and use it as a butt section. Works for me. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    I have had nail knots strip off the fly line coating and you lose the leader. There is an easy way to stop that. Tie an overhead knot in the end of your flyline. Don't close it all the way. Run a piece of 40# mono up thru it. tie a Uni knot around the fly line with the mono. Just snug it and work the two knots down onto each other. The two knots pulling on each other can't slip. Tie a loop in the mono and use it as a butt section. Works for me. Good luck

We use a "variation" of that for tarpon and sails, and you might like it even better.

Strip the coating off the end of the fly line before you do the overhand knot. It makes the finished knot a whole lot smaller and less likely to hang in the guides when you have the fish alongside. Of course, if you're really worried about that you can go one step further and coat the knot with rubber cement, and just before it stops being tacky, roll it in lock graphite to slick it up. Zips back out through the guides if you retrieve too far, and real handy when you're using long leaders.

Cortland makes loops which slide over the end of the fly line and are webbed, after installed they contract over the fly line just like a "chinese finger puzzle". I have been using them since I saw them in a store over a decade ago.

BTW, WTH is wrong with a nail knot, I used them for a decade or 3 and never had an issue with them ?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    BTW, WTH is wrong with a nail knot, I used them for a decade or 3 and never had an issue with them ?
    Tied right and replaced once or twice a season, they'll hold up even to tarpon and sails except in the 20# leader class. The fights can be so long on really big fish that even a good one can eventually fail with such a heavy leader. Some big-fish anglers insist on an Albright instead.

Tied wrong with any of the turns crossing each other or gaps between the turns, and they're going to strip the coating off the line even with fish like silvers or reds, sure as shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Cortland makes loops which slide over the end of the fly line and are webbed, after installed they contract over the fly line just like a "chinese finger puzzle". I have been using them since I saw them in a store over a decade ago.

I use needle knots only, I can't recall the exact product but it is similar to amnesia - about the thickness of 25 or 30# maxima. I have little doubt they are 10X as strong as what that dude is showing on the video. It takes much longer to learn how to tie correctly - and then you can do it in a few minutes; but is a cleaner connection than a nail knot. That thing on the video is funky - and made with thread and glue. I wouldn't use it.