Thread: Buying Two

Default Buying Two

Well I'm looking at getting 2 bikes mainly for hunting but used for recreation as well.

Would you buy 2 of the same or buy something different for the wife? WHY? Why Not?

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Haven't decide what to get yet but the general concenious seems to be the Griz 700.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I bought a 550 grizzly last year originally for myself. Then bought another this year and went with the 700 grizzly. Both unbelievable machines! I'm giving the 550 to my girlfriend so she has something to ride with me. Depending on how much experience and how aggressive of a rider your wife is, a 700 grizzly is probably something she wont get past half to 3/4 throttle with. So advantages would be better gas mileage on a smaller bore machine, ~ 1200$ price difference between these two machines that could be spent on a winch and tires, and really the 550 is just as capable but the 700 just has that extra umphf. Theres a 23% increase in power, and a 22.9% increase in displacement. A major advantage for my situation is I only need to carry 1 set of spare parts. The frames are identical on the 550 as the 700. Alot of guys will say they dont need a 700, and the 550 is all they need. but find one person who bought a 700 and wishes they had a 550 instead! Good luck!

I was wondering if that might not be the way to go, meaning the 550 for her and the 700 for me.

That's a good question....... Is there anyone out there that has a bigger machine and wishes that they got a small one?

Any thoughts on how to get the best deal buying 2 at once?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

i have the 700 also Definatly dont want the 550 now although i would consider it for my wife. Very fun capable dependable machine and it doesnt do bad on fuel even with my 27inch executioners. I love it fuel injected and power steering are very nice. Have had no problems yet with the machine. always starts and always idles

How good are the riders would be my concern. I have two 750 brutes and a 350 griz. If you are a new driver you do not get to drive the brutes. I have personally seen a 750 brute and a 700 griz trashed due to people riding atv's too powerful for their experience.

If it were me, I get the GRIZ 550 or 700 for you and a GRIZ 450 for the wife. 2011 450's also have the power steering option.
    My reasoning is the 450 is on a smaller frame, thus easier to handle. And, if you ever needed a smaller bike forsome reason, you have it.

Are the parts interchangable on the 700 and the 450? I got a price for the 2011 power steering 700 and the 550 w/ winches, armored under belly, hitches, and covers for 22,600 out the door. Not sure if I'm ready to push that button.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I chose Honda due to their price and supposed reliabilty. So far so great! We use these for hunting and much recreational riding.

For myself, a 09 Foreman 500. A carbeurated work horse. I haven't found it to be underpowered whatsoever. Somewhat rough ride w/solid rear axle.

For the wife, a 2010 420 Rancher, fuel injected w/power steering and independant rear suspension. Perfect machine for her do to the smaller size and ease to ride. She can smoke me on rough trails! She'll ride all day with little to no body soreness which is a good thing cuz she still feels up to massaging my sore muscles.

If I knew what huge difference the power steering had vs non-powered I would have surely grabbed that $400 option.

Out the door was $15,200.

Good luck and ride safe

-akiceman25

We have two 700 grizzlies. After tire kicking all the new machines 3 years ago the Grizzlies seemd the best. Hated to go away from Honda! When the wife rode my 700 for the first time she said it was too tall within the first couple of minutes. After 10 miles she was not interested in going back the 350 big bear. Everone has their own opinions but mine is to keep with the same rig for both you and the wife. If the wife doesn't have much experience riding keep that in mind, let her build up some time and she will grow into the machine. If not two 700's, at least stay with the 550 & 700 combo.

$22,600 would be tough to swallow. Have you considered used. We bought both of ours used and haven't regretted it. Haven't had to use warranty but I think alot of the machines out there have a 3 yr trasferable warranty. We bought a 2007 for $6000 and and a 2008 for $6500. They both have winches and ITP XTR tires. No skid plates.

CKAK - I did look used and the number of used grizzlies on the market is very limited. There also is the issue of having all the cash on hand vs financing. I also seem to get lucky with issues of buying someone elses problems and then wishing that I had new so that I know what it has been through and taken care of. I would much rather buy used to save the $$$$. I may have to keep looking.

On a side note I listen to Dave Ramsey alot and what it would cost me to buy the 2 machines would pay off my truck and then I would only have a house note so that adds some additional self imposed stress. I hate being responsible!!!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    CKAK - I did look used and the number of used grizzlies on the market is very limited. There also is the issue of having all the cash on hand vs financing. I also seem to get lucky with issues of buying someone elses problems and then wishing that I had new so that I know what it has been through and taken care of. I would much rather buy used to save the $$$$. I may have to keep looking.

On a side note I listen to Dave Ramsey alot and what it would cost me to buy the 2 machines would pay off my truck and then I would only have a house note so that adds some additional self imposed stress. I hate being responsible!!!!
    You've gone from being sure to being unsure. Come on. Spend the money. You deserve two new machines for hunting and recreation. The economy needs the boost. Besides, you can't pay off your truck note because you don't have the cash. Only thing left to do is to borrow more.

I was just looking on Craigs List and there is a 2011 550 Grizzly with zero miles for $7,5002011 Grizzly 550 - $7500 (Four wheeler) pic

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I was just looking on Craigs List and there is a 2011 550 Grizzly with zero miles for $7,5002011 Grizzly 550 - $7500 (Four wheeler) pic
    Thanks but I'm not up to alaska yet.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have a King Quad 400 and a Honda Foreman 500. One is an automatic and the other manual. The wife and I ride a lot, and she likes the 500 better than the 400. I use both for fishing and hunting, and they get used all year long, and love both. I seem to favor the 400, for it sits a little higher, and plus has all my gear I use on it with a Action Packer mounted on the back. I think anything bigger than 500 will be no use for me. To heavy to pull out, drinks lots of gas, etc. I find that I do just fine with smaller engines, that can just go about anywhere a 700 can. I have pulled out more 700's than 400, 500, etc, because of the mud mania drug riders have . But what ever floats your boat. My wife is 5 foot even and she handles the 500 very well even though she did roll my 400 breaking my gun boot mount
    I get good gas mileage on the 400 over the 500, for obvious reasons, but both can do about 70 miles or so of easy riding before they need a fill up. I would recommend though getting two quads instead of one, riding with your wife on the back of your quad is no fun, and makes for an uncomfortabke, that's the reason why I have two now
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!