Thread: Schools out, education continues.

Default Schools out, education continues.

Now that school is out, we wake the kids up and send them out as we have much to do at home with our change of seasons comming on, our river all rotten and such.The daughters are getting out there, following cousin Jeff and on his Honda to the lakes and sloughs where they stalk the edges for Geese, Ducks, Muskrats, Beaver and Ptarmigan on the tundra.

Muskrats in Iri's hands,my retriver float hooks and line in Jeffs hands, about 50 feet of 'reach'

Getting them to work along side us as we skin, pluck, butcher and dry our Winter stuffs and fresh catches.

My oldest daughter skinning her first Beaver this afternoon, quite nicely, I only have a minimum of work left before I show her how to tan it, its going to be a bag, so no strecher.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Just taking them along is the best way to start.
    They can see the whole process, from Death to sales.
    Even Ptarmigan, who taste great have feather that can be used to make artworks and crafts that migratory waterfowl cant, by law. Its a valuble bird, as every animal has its value, and alot can be had from so small a catch.

And soon, they will know the animal from the Tundra to $$$ and such, with a final product made from the catch, as well as the excellent natural foods that come with the package
    My oldest Daughter is quite the sew'r now days, and is perfecting her Caribou hide tanning/pattern cutting/sewing with sinew, a great way to make a living for a Hunting family

Sewing herself a Parka as practise to help her mom, learning by example and practise.

The whole family is helping the wife out, who is currently sewing a 4 person display of fur clothing.

I sure hope the kids keep up the life, and this is the only way I know how, educate 'em at Tundra U ~~LOL!!~~

Now that its warm enoughto take pictures all the do da day, Im just gonna let them do the shooting for awhile ........

I'm impressed, especially in this day and age. Most kids never get to know of their heritage and the traditions associated with.
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing the subsistence life with us all, Chip. Hope to get the boat in the water today, breakup was last monday, then it got in the 70s and river is way up from snowmelt and washed most of the stranded ice away. Caught the first fish in the net a couple days ago, looking fwd to beaver here soon.

Tell the kids, well done...so cool to see them carrying on the traditions!

Ahhhh...Spring is in the air....Have fun with the teaching JOB!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I feel priveledged to see that in the making, thanks
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Lots of knowledge needed to live the so called simple life.When the enlighten folks are starving the field folk will flourish
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Here is some of my craft work, usually during the winter months. I carve pipes out of stone. I do some bead work(my mother taught me) and sew deer hide to make pipe bags and small possibles bags. Someday I may try a shirt using deer hides from deer that I have taken.

It tickles me to death to see kids smiling with a critter they hunted.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I'm glad ya like it

Mark, were still 4 feet thick and a week away from the ice break up. I cant wait to ride the spring flood among the flowing ice to the jams and fill the boat with homeless Muskrats and Beaver

You right ,again, Ameigo. Its never simple, never has been,its the way people are.
    Prison is "The simple life"~~LOL!!~~

I am motivated by seeing jobless collage educated people relying on those who quit school young having to heat and feed em. Most move away.
    It takes training, education and dedication from a younge age, as well as a supportive family , and we go at it full throttle, even pondering a trip that may take years to finnish.....ya, dream now, work hard and see what tomarrow brings.

Were seriously trying to show the kids how to work not by the clock or calander, 'cept maby Moons, but to go with the weather, to know the alternatives, to know where resources are in other areas not too far away incase the "Work" needs to move to get things done right.
    Teach them to travel, be comforatable in the 22 hour darkness, the 24 hour sunlight, rain, waves, sled rides and snowgo's at -40 and all the animals they can catch,when to catch, how to catch them, how to get the most outta them as well as heat their homes, and what times and conditions are appropriate for whatever they are doing. It takes constant interaction and taking them with us.
    Its true education by interaction,
    Knowlage is power.
    ..........often Wrist deep in Blood.

It takes training, education and dedication from a younge age, as well as a supportive family , and we go at it full throttle, even pondering a trip that may take years to finnish.....ya, dream now, work hard and see what tomarrow brings.

Were seriously trying to show the kids how to work not by the clock or calander, 'cept maby Moons, but to go with the weather, to know the alternatives, to know where resources are in other areas not too far away incase the "Work" needs to move to get things done right.
    Teach them to travel, be comforatable in the 22 hour darkness, the 24 hour sunlight, rain, waves, sled rides and snowgo's at -40 and all the animals they can catch,when to catch, how to catch them, how to get the most outta them as well as heat their homes, and what times and conditions are appropriate for whatever they are doing. It takes constant interaction and taking them with us.
    Its true education by interaction,
    Knowlage is power.
    ..........often Wrist deep in Blood.[/QUOTE]

Very well spoken, Stranger. That's a life worth living and a life well lived, in the end! Keep up the teaching and good living.