Thread: 19XX Grayling with Volvo Penta 255A I/O Jet....help?

Default 19XX Grayling with Volvo Penta 255A I/O Jet....help?

Long story short; I cam into possesion of an older aluminum 22' grayling river boat that probably hasn't been run since 2009. Guy who owns it doesn't use it and gave me some basic info on it but nothing other than length and boat manufaturer (Grayling). Its got a Volvo Penta "255A" inboard engine that doesn't have any tags or identification plates that I can locate, with a jet unit of unknown manufature (Kodiak? Hamilton? Symbol on unit looks like a wave or "C") . Some numbers are forged onto the metal of the engine (see photos) but that's about it.

I should also probably mention that I have NO previous experience with inboard engines or jet units, but am familiar with the basics of an internal combustion engine and the jet drive.

First off, anyone know how specific I can get with an engine only knowing the model (255A) instead of the serial # which doesn't seem to be on the block? Do the numbers and letter in the second photo tell me anything about this engine (the GM under the number?)? I've been looking around the inter-webs and haven't found alot of good advice aside from "read the serial # off the plate attaced to the block" for this sort of thing. Also, do any of the photos have distinctive characteristics that tip off someone as to a decade-ish estimate of when this thing was made? I'm assuming late 80's but thats just a shot in the dark. Could have been 1999 for all I know.

Secondly, the plan for this baby is 1.) change plugs, batteries, check/repair fuel lines, lube the pistons with WD40, new oil, and fresh gas; 2.) drive said boat to Finger Lake and attempt to start the engine while still on the trailer and see if anything happens. 3.) Depending on result of #1 or 2 above, move ahead. I think if it actually starts, I'd like to look at some of the components of the engine (carbs, impeller, etc) but no sense in putting the cart before the horse, right? If it doesn't start or turn over after the items mentioned above, then the work will begin (or not.....) but if it fires up, I think I'll be more motivated to clean and tune things up.

Does this sound logical? Are there any items or steps I'm leaving out from the above plan? Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Cheers!

Insert fancy signature HERE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKanders; 05-21-2011 at 01:22. Reason: Spelling.....probably didn't get them all....

Default Couple more photos....

Two more....

Thanks for looking!

Default Hamilton Jet Unit

Apparently the jet unit is a Hamilton...... well I guess that's a start! Guess the "C" was more like a "J".....

Looks like your standard small block Chevy, pretty old from the looks of it.

Any pictures of your boat and the jet unit?

Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders instead of WD-40, maybe personal preference but the stuff works wonders.
    Why not back it into the matanuska instead of all the way over to Finger since it appears your from Lazy Mtn...
    Let us know how it goes.
    BK

Definitely a small block chevy... 305 or 350, likely the jet pump is a 773, there should be a metal plate on the forward portion of the pump with model and ser#. As for the ser# of the engine block it will be on the block below the exhaust manifold, right rear if I remember correctly, or on a small milled ledge behind a cylinder head ( been a few years since in replaced a sb chev, so fuzzy memory). ATF is excellent for lubing the cylinders(commonly used for assembly lube when building engines, also is high detergent and may help free up sticky rings), WD40 is ok and will work same for Marvels.

These guys might be helpful as well:
    http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/forum/
    Tennessee

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions! I had thought about putting it in the Matanuska, but thought Finger would be a little better since there is an actual ramp and dock...

I don't have any shots of the boat or jet unit, but maybe I'll get some loaded later this afternoon. I'll also check the spots mentioned by .338WM and see if I can find those tags.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Cheers!

Jake

Maybe since its somewhat of a basketcase, disconect the jet and get the motor running in the yard. Much easier to troubleshoot and once all checks out with the motor, hook up the pump and go find some water. (where you then find out that the boat doesn't hold water....kidding!)

Default More Photos

Ok. Got some more photos on my phone today. Still haven't been able to find any serial #s on either the block or the jet unit, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. The whole thing needs a good wash from a hose or something, so maybe we'll get to that sometime this week.

More to come in the days ahead..... If anyone in the greater Palmer area is interested in passing on any wisdom over a few adult beverages, I'd be happy to oblige.....

Cheers!

That is a Hamilton 773 which is a 3 stage jet unit. You have three impellers. It is a very old model with the gate style steering. I have never driven one with the gate style but have been told they do not turn that well. Hamilton went from that to the T3 then the posi which is still in use and has been copied by several other manufacturers.

Excellent! I knew someone out there would know what these things are!!

Thanks for your input! I think we're a bit off from seeing how it handles, but good to know nonetheless!

Happy monday!