Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom mtn rifle on stevens or savage action under 6 pounds

Default custom mtn rifle on stevens or savage action under 6 pounds

I am intrigued about this idea, wanted some feedback and ideas.......

Take short action stevens 200, rebarrel with a premium #1 ultralight contour at 20" in 7mm/08 and a lightweight premium stock such as one from lonewolf or bansner that would run say about 15-18 oz....

Top with UL talley rings/bases and say a leupold UL 2-7 or fixed 4X.........You could have slick little custom mountian gun right about 6-6.5 pounds with scope. all that for about 800-900 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post

Take short action stevens 200, rebarrel with a premium #1 ultralight contour at 20" in 7mm/08 and a lightweight premium stock such as one from lonewolf or bansner that would run say about 15-18 oz....

Top with UL talley rings/bases and say a leupold UL 2-7 or fixed 4X.........You could have slick little custom mountian gun right about 6-6.5 pounds with scope. all that for about 800-900 dollars
    While I'd build around a different foundation, you can save a bit going with the Stevens/Savage. I doubt it would amount to more than $200 (possibly much less), but every cent saved makes a difference.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Why go this route when it's already offered in the specialty series. I'm assuming you didn't know this? Your'e welcome. Here yah go.....save yah dollahs and buy it done right.......jusssst right:

19207 7MM-08 REM 1 in 9.5" 20" 40.25" 5.5 lbs 4 $875.00

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Why go this route when it's already offered in the specialty series. I'm assuming you didn't know this? Your'e welcome. Here yah go.....save yah dollahs and buy it done right.......jusssst right:

19207 7MM-08 REM 1 in 9.5" 20" 40.25" 5.5 lbs 4 $875.00

nice rifle!
    happy trails.
    jh

I always find it interesting that people want the lightest stove, tent, rifle. Odd you you never hear anyone say, what if I lost 31# or 43# or 14# are the people who obsess about equipment weight as light of body weight as possable.....These tally rings weight 1/2 ounce less, but if I eat some extra fiber I dump 2 or 3 Pounds in one minute.

i have lost 29 pounds since December.........Now its the rifles turn.....Very Svelt 198

Some folks get the greatest satisfaction out of putting things together for themselves, rather than just slapping plastic for an existing comparable model.

I'm one of them, and my house is littered with stuff I've made that could just as well have been bought. By the time all is said and done I seldom saved any money, but I'm sure a lot happier for it. That's why I've been drifting more and more into traditional muzzleloaders- A guy can build them himself without a metal shop or a trip to the gunsmith, but you mostly can't do that with modern guns. My builds don't work any better than off the shelf, but I value them a lot more.

Yours looks like a great project! Folks might question using such an action as a basis, but I doubt they'll question its accuracy. And you get the fun of having something you dreamed up yourself. How can you beat that?

Unless you just have an affinity for a Savage/Stevens firearm, don't build. The rifle you are describing while liteweight will be like putting a diamond necklace on a goat; It might be pretty but there's still a goat wearing it. Many factory firles are available in the price ange you described that meet your criteria. AND will retain their value over the years.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/t...ite-stainless/
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

you will have a tough time doing what you describe for $800 or $900 - if you are going to that expense you can have a Kimber Montana 84M in any short action including 7mm/08 at 5.2 lbs or a 270 WSM for 6.3 lbs for $1000 or less and the components are made for each other AND the gun will be a shooter - I know that it is fun though, to build something from a "project" and it's YOUR rifle project

I also believe you'll have a real hard time doing that for the price you describe. If I wanted to build that rifle for under $1K- you can buy it off the shelf from a few different manufacturers with good results.

If I wanted to build a lightweight custom I'd choose a different foundation action and plan on taking longer and spending more. If you're going to that much trouble, why not throw a few hundred more into the mix and start with a Remington or Winchester action? Savages may shoot but wow, what a homely piece of equipment they are...Just my .02.

i have lost 29 pounds since December.........Now its the rifles turn.....Very Svelt 198
    I also am a svelt 199# (Down from 234#) but I could be "More" Svelt at 179# It is fun to build projects, but the fun is in the project, and that is just fine. I would ditto what others have posted reference your choice of receiver. It is your project, it is you dream.

I prefer to just take one cast iron skillet if weight cut is needed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

As a Hillbilly, I could never get "intrigued" because it would ruin the image, but I like your idea.

What you're talkin about is a Custom Rifle, and as such it appeals to the one who dreamed it up. It may be admired by others, but probably, won't appeal to them, enough to want one exactly like yours.

Your idea of a reasonably priced Mtn rifle, is a good one IMO. The Savage Action is OK, and they have a reputation for great accuracy. The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge for a rifle like that. No problems there.

(I recognize that you're just exploring your options at this point.) I say, keep on doin that. Different folks have different ideas as to what is suitable, or not. Don't be too swayed by that. Go with what makes sense to you.

That way, whatever you put together will be Special.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I always find it interesting that people want the lightest stove, tent, rifle. Odd you you never hear anyone say, what if I lost 31# or 43# or 14# are the people who obsess about equipment weight as light of body weight as possable.....These tally rings weight 1/2 ounce less, but if I eat some extra fiber I dump 2 or 3 Pounds in one minute.
    That's funny, but it's true.

Everyone seems to want, the lightest rifle with the shortest barrel, in the biggest cartridge. with the skinniest and straightest stock, with the lowest mounted scope. It's kind of a Fad, and one that has persisted, and grown.

A light weight rifle is great, up to a point, but I think you're right. There are other, more practical, places to cut weight.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I guess that does make sense if you are fat/obese or something like that. Are you saying only fat people like lightweight and quality equipment? I only like to buy stuff once, only because I know it will work for a long, long time. Actually, long after I'm gone, I'm sure. I guess I could lose forty pounds to offset a heavy and unbalanced rifle to carry around, but then I'd be too weak to carry the thing as my body weight will be around 115-125lbs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I guess that does make sense if you are fat/obese or something like that. Are you saying only fat people like lightweight and quality equipment? (
    I wouldn't say that about Fat People, but I betcha that all other things being equal, they use more soap.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I wouldn't say that about Fat People, but I betcha that all other things being equal, they use more soap.

Smitty of the North
    That deserves a little rep Smitty, but alas I must "spread it around." Next time.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Why the heck not, give it a go if it makes yer happy. Personally I love the cheaper end of the actions, especially when they shoot straight. As a wise man once told me - 'you can't buy skill'. Yet so many will decry a mid-range action; a $$$ action won't make you shoot any straighter, it may help but it won't do it all.
    I personally take great pride in shooting plate matches with my sons $89 Mossy plinkster with a $30 red-dot............and winning!! Only one person has managed to beat me, only one time, with a $1200 AR with a $200 22 conversion!! I also have a £180 CVA 30-06 that I can put 5 rounds into one raggy hole (in the X-ring) at 100 yds, every single time. That's got a pricey $40 Tasco on it!
    Get a Stevens or Savage, give it a fluff and buff and make it all work, you know you can and that's the challenge. Hate to give you alternatives after those words, but for price you could also lood into Howa. You could get a barreled action with 20" bull barrel for around $350. Not sure on caliber, but I have been looking at getting a 308 and throwing it on a Knoxx Axiom stock, for a bit of fun.

Smitty of the North
    I resemble that remark Smitty, Iís fat AND furry . . . you donít want to see my soap bill!

I donít care what a gun tilts the scale at, I figure if itís balanced and feels right I got enough resurvey fat ta burn humping it around. I like ta got divorced from the wife before we was even wed cuz I took her 12 miles out of camp for an overnight with nothing but a rifle and canteen. She asked fer food and I said we are fat enough ta miss a meal er three . . . that was a long cold Arizona night!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Smitty of the North
    Not always the case Smitty. I know a fat guy that needs more soap and would probably use more soap but he can't get that soap where it needs to go and I ain't helping him....lest he wants to ride naked in the back of the truck while I make a pass through the drive-thru car wash.

When I saw the picture of the Savage posted on this thread my first thought was "that is a good looking rifle"....that's a first for Savage and me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast