Thread: Baiting Solo

Smile Baiting Solo

Anyone on here bait solo? My buddy bailed on me at the last minute and the wife is all concerned about me going out to set up my station by myself.

Where you at? And when are you wanting to go out? I might be willing to go with you if your around Anchorage. Just let me know

just go solo, speak softly and carry a big stick

I know what it is like here and not having anyone to go with last week i was bound and determined to get my tree stand put up with or with out anyone. The wiff made a stink about me going out by my self so i got a buddy last minute and went out. Good thing too because on the way out i slid the wheeler in to a rut and flipped the dam thing onto my back and was pretty jacked up and pinned underneath the ol polaris with the 45-70 about 10 yards away and me ontop of my pistol and the phone in the truck. If I didnt have him with me i would have been stuck till some one came across my body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    Anyone on here bait solo? My buddy bailed on me at the last minute and the wife is all concerned about me going out to set up my station by myself.
    I bait solo, I have never run into a problem where I needed someone else to go with me. But then again if something bad happens it would really be nice to have someone there to help get you out of a pickle.

I guess all that I am saying is that I don't let it slow me down if I don't have someone to go with me.

Good luck!
    -Caleb-

yea I bait solo too. had some guys that use to go with but turned out they only enjoyed the hunting part and not the work part. I don't see much of an issue. Just make sure someone knows exactly where your going and when you will be back. make sure you have more then enough of everything (ammo, water, food, gas, ect)

Default Ibait solo in the interior.

This year I am baiting solo. Usually I have my wife and a close buddy to team up on these bruins but this year both of them are deployed. My goal is to have my site familiar to a population of blackies so they (the wife and my hunting buddy) can get a crack at them next year. It isn't as fun doing it by yourself, but sometimes like it has already been mentioned, those buddies do nothing more than reap the reward of your hard work. That is why I decided to do it alone this year. I think as long as you think things through and you are sensible you can be just as safe as when someone else with you. The best survival tool you can ever have with you in the woods is between your ears!!!

"Mountain Man Jack" or "City Slicker Slim"? Ha - be safe and have fun solo.

Good for you... The only person you know you can trust is yourself. Plus i find often it's good luck when your hunting alone......... Untell something bad happens that is....

I go solo,skinning and packing out a bear would suck, but it can be done.

I hunt solo quite a bit. Best thing about hunting solo is not having to accommodate someone else's schedule. As to skinning and packing, its all part of the game; small ones go in one trip, big ones in two, REALLY big ones, three trips.

I'm doing both this year.. solo when a friend of mine isn't available and with him when he is. Normally it's not bad but my stands are deeper in the woods this year.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

My friends/family are concerned about me also. When going to the woods, I try to take a friend (preferably be amongst someone with another ATV). I've had people cancel out (less than 30 minutes of leaving the house) and then gone out alone anyways.

Iím new and curious about the bear baiting. For this year, am primarily interested in learning access, scouting prospective areas, and generally trying to stay out of the way of others stations.

On Saturday, drove into a part of 16A, but it was still pretty drifted with snow and doesn't look to be ready for Memorial day weekend. With the three day weekend, ... probably pick some coordinates on the map (in areas that seemed to have leafy vegetation), load up a couple of 5 gallon buckets with gooey treats, and watch them over the weekend.

If someone is in a similar situation, I would be interested in helping out. Plus, I can get into and past the nasty swampy areas.

I primarily bait solo. My wife worries but shell be ok.

If anyone needs an extra set of hands PM me. I could use some pointers on skinning, and I would be happy to help pack game. I'm in anchorage with a 4WD and can drive or pay for gas.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Went out last weekend and set up the stand by myself and it was quite pleasant. Had a great 2.5 mile hike in. Just made sure to look over my shoulder every minute or so especially with all the bait and scent I was packing. I hunt quite a bit by myself, but never while carrying ridiculously strong smells like this. It turned out fine. Like Yoda says, "she'll be fine", I like it.
    I did see a nice bear up on the hillside I was glassing. Only, two little black squirts popped out, so it was a no go We'll see what this weekend holds.