Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light weight hunting saw

Default Light weight hunting saw

Looking for the best light weight saw to be used for goat and sheep hunting. Have always used the Wyoming saw.

Has to be something lighter!

Default What to saw

What is it that you want to saw though. Wood for fires or meat processing. There are some dandy little folding saw out there. I also have a saw blade on my Browning 3-blade knife. (Which is a little heavy for a G/S hunt.)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default options

Not sure what you are looking for. I carry a wyoming saw with me for big game. I carry a Gerber Exchange a Blade when bowhunting whitetail form a portable climber. Serves double duty as I can trim branches as I climb and quarter my kill as well. Cheap and the blades hold up well. You can check it out below.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+saw&noImage=0

I go to AIH and buy a new Stanley "Shortcut" saw every year. It's about 18" long and about $15.00. It cuts way better than those so-called meat saws, has a real handle, and there are no moving parts. If you insist on a folding saw at least get a good one like from Alaska Mill & Feed. The ones the sporting goods stores sell are junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I go to AIH and buy a new Stanley "Shortcut" saw every year. It's about 18" long and about $15.00. It cuts way better than those so-called meat saws, has a real handle, and there are no moving parts. If you insist on a folding saw at least get a good one like from Alaska Mill & Feed. The ones the sporting goods stores sell are junk.
    Pid, I carry the gerber because it is lightweight and the blades are only $5 or so. I have only changed blades once (after about 5 whitetail). Not sure what AK Mill & Feed sells, but for the few times I carry this each year, it has served me well. Or maybe you are referring to the wyoming saw? Not sure, never had a problem with mine.
    Joshua

I don't care for anything I have to assemble.

Most of the folding saws we see in Alaska are disposable junk after just a couple of alders, let alone a skull. AK Mill & Feed sells some really good folding pruning saws that have much better blades and blade locks. Those are still my distant second choice to the Stanley option.

the saw that comes with the kodipak, is awesome you can buy it seperate as well, been using the saem one for four years now, used to use the gerber folding saw, that thing cuts like it means it! didn't hold together to hot on moose heads though. but the kodipack saw or whatever its called is great...can't remember the name off hand.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default reply

Mainly for cutting the horns off!

Default Sierra saw

Ive actually had great luck with the elcheapo folding sierra saw found at better Wal-marts (and Sportsmans W) every where. Light, cuts great on actual game animals and has a replacable blade. Also no arch (like the wyoming saw) to catch on skull.

Default Gerber

I have the Gerber pictured here - http://store.everestgear.com/eqger330.html

I use it mainly on my snowmachine (several seasons so far of cutting brush and no damage). It is VERY lightweight and has a fairly long blade and some aggressive teeth. Easy on the pocketbook too.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Wink

Another vote for the Gerber, feather lite, and cuts like no tomorow!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I have been having good luck with this Kershaw kit. On sale at Cabelas for $40. I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse. It comes with a good leather belt holster that everything fits in. All your knives and saw in one. Any good multi-tool setup like this should work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the same Kershaw. It compliments my favorite Helle knife.

This saw is a good one. They used to have them at Barney's in Anchorage. It looks like REI has them too. I got several years out of one of these until it got lost.
    http://www.trailblazerproducts.com/p...howcase/?id=24
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Alasken-Good one. Rarely use it and almost forgot I have one. Great saw and carry it in the snowmachine for the occassional willow that jumps out in front of me. Got mine from campmor. Don't know how the blade will work on bone, but a good, light saw nonetheless.

Default Saws

I use Sven saw while floating rivers and the gerber on all hunts, happy with both.

Default Buck makes a good one

I've used the Gerber folding-style saw for a lot of years, but have sent it in for replacement at least 3 times - as it fell apart at the junction between the blade & holder.

Buck's saw is lighter (4.3 oz) and seems to be a lot tougher. I've been using mine for 2-1/2 years on a lot of hunts (primarily skullplates) with no problems.

I picked it up at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage.

Here's the link:
    http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/161/231

Good luck.

--Shawn
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1 on the Gerber. This is the one I use and it dont weigh nothin, comes with wood and bone blade.

http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=6036

I grew up using a hatchet, guess I always will.

I use an Estwing, the sleek one-piece one with a leather sheath, and a leather ring handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I go to AIH and buy a new Stanley "Shortcut" saw every year. It's about 18" long and about $15.00. It cuts way better than those so-called meat saws, has a real handle, and there are no moving parts.
    I thought I was about the only one that didn't use a fancy saw. When I was working as a carpenter we used these shortcut or sharkcut saws all the time, so I took it into the Bush as well. They'll cut everything but a large tree and they are pretty darn lightweight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast