Thread: Sheep Hunting Gear Improvements

Default Sheep Hunting Gear Improvements

After changes from last years gear list I still feel I improve. I have some holes to fill like gloves, shirt, tripod, sling. Please watch the link below and comment on improvements or recommendations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I75gMduXtqc

It looks ok. Get a book called Ultralight backpackin tips by mike clelland. Remember less is more- ie I would leave one of the havalon knives at home and weigh everything on a digital scale.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

i think u have a great sheep pack going. u will do fine with those items. good luck.

How about teflon coated boot laces? Does anyone know where to get them in the fairbanks area?

Default Teflon?

I would go down to beaver sports and replace your boot laces with dynema 550 cord if you are worried about it. A small length of just regular 550 cord (paracord) for emergencies.

KISS- is good but sometimes gadgets are cool too.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Dynema 550... will do. If you notice on the video there is 550 cord in the boots right now. The other laces didn't last long. I just ordered that book by clelland. Thanks.

I tend to agree that you have everything you "need". Any changes would just be preference. As far as shirts I go with a merino T-shirt and a Sitka Ascent jacket. The jacket is thin and light w/ a full zip, it has been comfortable in a wide range of temps for me while hiking. If it gets cold I add a long sleeve merino shirt under the T shirt. I also carry a MH compressor jacket or similar. A full layer would be the t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, ascent jacket, Compressor jacket, and My rain shell (Wild Things Gear "eVent").

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I also carry a MH compressor jacket or similar. (Wild Things Gear "eVent").
    How often do you resort to your MH compressor jacket. Do you think I could leave my rivers west jacket behind and use a compressor jacket and rain top? I will pick up a merino long sleeve shirt too and try it out. So my layers would be... silk weight long sleeve, merino wool long sleeve, cabelas fleece henley, MH compressor jacket, cabelas ultra packable rain top.??? How does that sound?

You might want to check out the line up of ultralight hunting gear that KUIU offers. Everything they make is specifically designed for mountain hunting. I was in need of some new gear and got a bunch of it a month ago. The quality is outstanding.

If it were me I would just pick up one merino t-shirt and wear it for a good hike. You can find them for under $30 online if you know where to shop. If you like it then expand from there. I wear merino as a base layer right against skin. To me adding anything else under it has been a step backward in comfort. This goes for socks, shirts and long johns. I have been wearing Exoficio boxers but plan to try out the merino boxer-briefs from minus 33. Alaska_Lanche has been raving about them and he isn't usually one to brag up his briefs.

+1 on the compressor jacket. I wore that jacket every morning when first getting up and if it was raining I would just put it on over everything. On top I wore silk weight base layer (I don't have merino wool yet), Sitka Traverse T Top 90% of the time. If it got cold or windy once I reached the summit I would put on my Jetstream jacket. I think if I was to do it all over again, I would just pack the compressor and leave the jetstream at home (compressor is much lighter and packs down nice). Bottom line, compressor jacket worked well and was a winner on my sheep hunt.

RC

So I was looking at the compressor jacket and similar styles. Two others stood out..... Kuiu - Spindrift Jacket @ 13.5 oz
    Patagonia - nano puff pull over @ 9.5 oz w/ polyester shell
    Mountain Hardware - Comressor @ 15 oz w/ nylon shell
    Any opinions?

Another vote for leaving the rivers west at home and picking up the MH compressor or similar jacket. I have the old MH Chugach which is similar to the compressor pl without the hood and love it. As a side note the hood would be nice. On an extended hunt in rainy conditions the rivers west has no good way to dry out unless you have a heat source. My top goes something like this. Patagonia Cap. 3, Microtex button up, Sitka Vest, MH compressor and then Marmot Precip for rain wear. For summer deer I'll substitue the Cap 3 with cabelas MTP silk weight.

Changes made: River West Jacket and sportsman shirt are back in the closet and a mountain hardware compressor jacket with hood is on the way. Also on the way is Kuiu 185 merino wool long sleeve shirt in their camo pattern. Clothing complete! Now on to......... sling, lighter tripod, better way to attach rifle to pack, GLOVES!

I usually just use mechanix style gloves myself but a buddy really likes the chillygrip with the urethane palm. They weren't my cup of tea but they are tough for brush busting and quite warm.

Quote Originally Posted by furds00 View Post
    Changes made: River West Jacket and sportsman shirt are back in the closet and a mountain hardware compressor jacket with hood is on the way. Also on the way is Kuiu 185 merino wool long sleeve shirt in their camo pattern. Clothing complete! Now on to......... sling, lighter tripod, better way to attach rifle to pack, GLOVES!
    I like the Kifaru gunbearer, keeps my rifle EZ to get to.

SLIX compact for a cheap tough tripod.

I don't use a sling often with the gunbearer so a light nylon strap works for a sling.

Might try a pair of the new Kuiu gloves.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/