Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking while fishing

Default Drinking while fishing

We hijacked a recent thread with some differing oponions, one of which I'd like to respond to here... The idea that drinking is a necessity for fishing, or even a large part of it, is a little offensive to my fragile fly fishing purist sensibilities.

When I bowl, I always say that I can only do it well when I am half drunk. I say this half jokingly just like a few folks mentioned that your fly casting will improve with every beer... I understand it's said light heartedly but I wanted to hear what people have to say about it. Just for funsies, if you will

My take, is I think most serious fly fisherman don't treat fishing like it is a beer league hockey team or a day out on the golf course with rented clubs... You don't see Arnold Palmer dragging a case of Bud Light around the course, and you won't see me drinking while I fish.

Thoughts?
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

To each their own. I drink when with friends, and don't if I'm alone. But, I aint no purist.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I don't think drinking is a necessity when fishing. I will not, however, turn down a beer or two on the water. Is it wrong to drink on the water? I see nothing wrong with it as long as you're not the one driving the boat and of age. I'm absolutely certain Dan's post was in good fun, as most of his have a hint of humor to them.

I'd like to add a comment about the purist mentality to. I think it's just as disgusting as people that don't read regs and snag fish. They are in the same boat in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with loving to fly fish, just don't come off like you're better than everyone else that doesn't or it's the only way to fish and if one fishes in some other manner, they're not fishing. I love to fly fish, but I also love to use my bait casters and spinning gear. Purists should be in the same place as blatant violators, floating on a wooden door in a very large sterile body of water.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Sad, but I think so many peoples only connection to the great outdoors is with drinking. I like a drink now and then, but think its best around a fire telling tales of the day or yesterday. Sitting on a river bank, fishing catfish with stink bait that would be beer drinking time. Fly fishing dry flies I don't think so. Also floating down rivers can have many dangers and drinking while doing it might be fun ,but for sure one could get into a lot more trouble when drunk. Drinking takes the edge off, but it also takes the edge off your game. I really can't think of anything that drinking makes people better at. (Maybe dancing)

Hey I take that beer leauge hockey shot offensively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your not allowed to have beer on the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
    I guess it all depends..............I wont drink running my boat in salt or fresh water, I wont drink floating rivers either. To me it is just asking for trouble. On the other hand I don't mind if people do, it's their choice. I don't really drink much any more, I got that all out of me when I was in the military...........LOL

Drinking and fishing is terrible. Just say no.

I'll put down a beer or two when I break for lunch, as many will do. However, I don't wade rivers with my vest full of beers or float lakes with my pontoon's cargo bags stuffed with em! Then there's that driving thing, too......................

I on one hand never drink on the water, nor do i care for it . Granted if someone wants to have one or two while we are fishing i cool with that, id much rather have memories of a great day on the water than the chance ones of someone slipping on a rock or falling off a boat because their judgement is impaired and having to try and save them. Granted for some people 1 or 2 beers isn't going to do much but its those ones you see get carried away with it being obnoxious and see beer cans floating down the river or lake that really piss me off. thats my 2 cents.

-Tight Lines
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

To each his own they say. For me i may have a few on a boat but not with waders on in a river!

To me its all a matter of common sense. Normally fishing will involve a drive of some kind sot that means you will be driving home after you have had a few. I value life and my belongings too much to risk it. If I don't have to drive I may have a beer or two. After the day is done, dinner is done, and the only thing I have left to do is to relax by the campfire......I will have a few beers, and some bourbon. So I guess I kind of drink when I am fishing............lol

Some of you knobs are killing me. Especially the pothead and singing and dancing midget. Which reminds me, looking forward to drinking (and fishing) with you soon. I pity the man that can't enjoy a cold beer with a rod propped by his side. With that said, everything in moderation. A six pack an hour is about right for me. Or a 1/2 gallon of "Carolina Tea". Taking ourselves a bit seriously this week?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    We hijacked a recent thread with some differing oponions, one of which I'd like to respond to here... The idea that drinking is a necessity for fishing, or even a large part of it, is a little offensive to my fragile fly fishing purist sensibilities.

When I bowl, I always say that I can only do it well when I am half drunk. I say this half jokingly just like a few folks mentioned that your fly casting will improve with every beer... I understand it's said light heartedly but I wanted to hear what people have to say about it. Just for funsies, if you will

My take, is I think most serious fly fisherman don't treat fishing like it is a beer league hockey team or a day out on the golf course with rented clubs... You don't see Arnold Palmer dragging a case of Bud Light around the course, and you won't see me drinking while I fish.

Thoughts?
    To suggest that you're as good at fishing or even fly casting as Arnold Palmer was at golf might be a bit of a stretch. I highly doubt you're going to notice a difference in your roll cast between beers zero and four.

Having said that, I don't want to carry anything that is going to get shaken, foamy, and skunky when it would taste just fine back at the campsite. I'd rather sit in the sun and twist one rather than make my fly vest into a beer cooler.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

We got to go fishing sometime
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Im with Powerdrifter on this one. I leave it for the end of the day or sometimes may enjoy one for lunch, trying to piss every half hour with waders on is a real *****!
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    Im with Powerdrifter on this one. I leave it for the end of the day or sometimes may enjoy one for lunch, trying to piss every half hour with waders on is a real *****!
    Then again....some I have known a couple of guys that have been able to stay out in the cccccold water for hours on end....they just keep adding Foot Warmer...and dump it out at the end of the day!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I think everyone I fish with enjoys a drink, though some of them enjoyed drinks a little too much earlier and life and can't have them now. But not a one of us will drink in a day of fishing. We truly enjoy sitting down together after the fishing, boating and driving are put away for the day, but not before. There's no prohibition, but we've all come to the inclusion we enjoy it most afterward.

I'm sure all of us have been around guys who enjoyed their drinks during the day and convinced themselves they were doing just fine. Kinda funny show, but from a distance and not something to be around all the time.

I enjoy a beer or two during a day of fishing. but I noticed something, I have the hardest time casting and hooking a fish with a drink in my hand (beer or soda) so normally I save the beers for a break or lunch. I don't see the point in pounding 15 beers in 5 hours of fishing, I came to fish not to drink. that being said I also don't drink on boats, too much can go wrong to add alcohol into the mix.

Funny thing, I'm a whiskey man. When I drink beer, I prefer an amber like Sam Adams on tap. BUT... when I fish, it is coors light. That is all I drink and it is the only time I drink it. I don't really know why, but it works!

I enjoy my adult beverage every once in a while, but only after the planned activity of the day has ceased. I have seen others that started the day with a beer / mixed drink in their hand AND finished the day with a drink in their hand (the hand was not empty ALL DAY).

About three years ago my wife & I were on a salmon / halibut / rockfish charter out of Seward. Left the dock at 6:30 AM. Fellow fisherman (2 of them) brought a medium size cooler with them. Less than 15 minutes later they went to the backdeck & began opening the cooler often as we headed to our first spot. When we arrived at the first spot (approx 1 hour) they had already consumed TEN between them. Guide I don't think had noticed what they were doing until then. He told them to take it easy ofwhich they did (only had another 3 or 4 total) until the trip back. By the time we returned to the dock, those guys had polished off a total of THIRTY beers.
    Needless to say the walk from the dock to their car was a VERY INTERESTING thing to watch. They actually drove off while the guide was cleaning the fish. We heard later they DID return to get their fish, but after we had left. Not sure if they forgot about the fish OR had to make a beer run before the day could continue.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast