Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo or olive impertech?

Default Camo or olive impertech?

I am new to this site and to Alaskan hunting. I booked my first Brown Bear hunt on the peninsula for spring of 2012. My outfitter strongly suggested Helly Hansen Impertech raingear. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the necessity of camo, or would the olive be fine? Thanks for any advice!

I have the olive and would not pay more for camo.

I also prefer the olive, IMO the camo has a plastic feel to it even though it's supposed to be the same material.

I would get one of each, or either, or whatever.....
    While very fine raingear, Impertech rain gear have been known to tear where chashing after a critter a mile away while struggling through the alder brush river bottoms. In 21 years of hunting in Alaska I have had the luxury of hunting out of a cabin one (01) time. I ripped both shoulders of my Impertech rain jacket by snagging nails barely protruding out of the doorjams.

Do not put your Impertech raingear away wet, or it will "rot".
    And always get the long version that extends to your knees.
    At 5'10's, 183 pounds I generally wear size large shirts and jackets. With rain gear I get XXL because I prefer the extra length, everywhere, expecially the extra butt lenght as well as long sleeves.

Color, to me, means nothing. After over 100 personal kills and another 200+ client-hunter kills I really can not remember any one time where camo raingear would have clearly made a difference over the normal olive drab rain gear. One of my commmercial fisherman buddies who also guides in the fall wears bright yellow rain gear on the tundra during the September moose hunts, and he and his clients seem to do just fine.

Others may disagree based on their experiences.

Dennis

The resale might be better on the camo .
    Good luck.

I think that neither will keep the bear from winding you- which is ultimately what will generally bust you.

IMO the camo simply isn't worth extra dollars.

Olive, there is really no need for the camo. Most critters up here react more to movement and scent and camo doesn't help either.

There was a good thread/discussion along the lines of camo: thumbs up or thumbs down here 1-2 y ago I think. Can't find it now but the posters managed not to careen out of control and actually settle into:
    1. Yes - camo matters (to game animals)
    2. No - wind and/or motion matter much more

Aha- typing too slow- like Bill S and hodgeman too said!

Lots of good threads on Impertech (& many fans) or other raingear.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...tech-rain-gear
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...tive-rain-gear
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Rain-gear-camo (check Rutting Moose, post #4)
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...vent-Rain-Gear
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/mag...nting_gear.htm

Anyways - good luck with your raingear.

Certainly not my choice for rain gear, but others seem to like it.

I can't imagine that camo does any actual harm, but I'll pay less and go with Olive (or other color) every time. My present rain gear is navy blue and while its due for replacement that's not because of its color. If there's a sale, I'll take the sale color thank you very much...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

FWIW - I run the Impertech II camo top, with the olive bottoms.

I'm not a big fan of the hood rolled into the collar on the jacket tho. I'd prefer a hood that just lays down flat on the back of the jacket.

if its raining that hard the bear ain't gonna see you anyway...olive is fine. nothing on the peninsula will be green anyway (cept moss) when your down there so camo or olive both will be outa season!
    3/4 lenght is the only way to go as dennis stated. take aqua seal and duct tape with you, can fix big holes with that over night in the tent.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I don't own a single piece of camo anything. My Impertech is all plain old green/olive. The times of year when I'm wearing it, it is likely gray and overcast. I'm generally not walking around. I'm either wearing it as I ride the 4 wheeler to keep the mud off or sitting on the side of a hill somewhere. If you're sitting still you'll be hard to see w/o camo. Not worth the extra money.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Impertech

After several other tries, I have the same set-up as L.G.

It works for me - even though I sweat enough to be wet anyway.

Depends on what purse you are carrying...

Someone had to say it.
    Mine is olive. I wouldn't pay extra for camo. I like the Imperteck.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

$12 more for the jacket - $22 more for the coat in camo.

In the big picture, that's chump change guys.

I don't think camo makes that big of a diff myself, but if you duck hunt in 'em too . . .

Outdoor companies have made a mint replacing camo gear that was lost due to effective camo. Is flou lime an option?

I'd have to agree with Bill S and L.G. Any dull color should be just fine. Camo won't save your stalk if they see movement. And be carefull not to sillouhette yourself either. All of my raingear is camo, but that's because I also wear it waterfowling. I've killed bears while I was wearing blaze orange down South.

Not so worried about color as breaking up my form. Given the choice, why not pick up something that isn't solid color?

I made the move for the camo impertech when it went on sale at the local sporting goods store. The sale brought the camo down to the price of the olive. If camo is what you want, pay attention well before people start thinking about an approaching hunting season, and you should be able to get a good bargain.

Am I the only one that had the seams fall apart on the impertech ? Glued them back togeather with super glue but they had not been used that much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast