Thread: Big Su Burbot- What can ya tell me bout em?

Default Big Su Burbot- What can ya tell me bout em?

Ive caught burbot at the mouths of most of the trib streams along the parks, but they are always small (under 20 inches)....however, ive seen the filleted carcasses of BIG burbs at these same places.....what should i try for bait to get the biguns? any other tips would be very appreciated! be nice to have a burbot for dinner (big enough to make a decent meal) while camping up there......the small guys just dont have enough meat to keep em......

Release Lake Trout

Last year during silver season, a guy at Willow caught like a 25" Burbot at the mouth on salmon eggs. I've never caught Burbot, but good fresh bait like herring or hooligan is probably is good as any. Fishing at night seems to be a winner too.

I've also heard you can catch a few where the Deshka runs in.

Ever thought of using bait in Big Lake now? That could be a winner for some bigger fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Last year during silver season, a guy at Willow caught like a 25" Burbot at the mouth on salmon eggs. I've never caught Burbot, but good fresh bait like herring or hooligan is probably is good as any. Fishing at night seems to be a winner too.

I've also heard you can catch a few where the Deshka runs in.

Ever thought of using bait in Big Lake now? That could be a winner for some bigger fish.
    I caught a 23 inch char on a worm tipped with a egg outta big lake

As for burbot, I hooked one on some old cheese once, but that was prolly a fluke....

Chicken Livers, Fish Guts and Cut Whitefish are all good baits for Burbot. Fish the deepest holes you can find, where the clear water meets the silt line, on the bottom and let it sit.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I caught a burbot on a marshmallow through the ice. Went back the next week with herring and was hauling out one after the other and limited out in two hours. Wouldn't touch bait that just sat there but if you jigged they were all over it. That was in March, though.

No, No, No, you all got it wrong you gotta used hot dogs and the biggest bobbers you can find

Here's a BURBOT story for ya...

A couple of years ago me and my son were on a little sandbar below Talkeetna fishing the last couple of hours of daylight on a long August day, we had just spent the last four days on a fly in drift down clear creek... we just had to soak some eggs those last few hours before returning to the lower 48 and reality.

It was late, just about O'dark thirty, about 10 mins. before that I had landed a nice hen silver and was using her ultrafresh eggs to bag just one last fish.

We'll, there he is! hammarin the end of my line, ooo, ooohhhh, just one more bite and I am PRIMED to set the hook on this baby... bite, bite, bite... and WHAMMMO! HOOK SET! I MEAN SET THAT HOOK MAN!

THAT FRICKEN BURBOT! (ABOUT 12") came FLYING out of the water on the end of my line and F#@$%& near blinded me shooting beside my head about 50 miles per hour!

Of course my kid and 2 other guys were there to witness the event.

I defiantly went full retard on that one!

It was great! Good memories of bagging a fine BURBOT on the Su!

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    No, No, No, you all got it wrong you gotta used hot dogs and the biggest bobbers you can find
    how bout a pickle jar for a bobber? and marinate the hot dogs in butt juice?

Release Lake Trout