Thread: McDonald Spit Access................?

Default McDonald Spit Access................?

I posted this on the boating forum with no repsonse, just thought that maybe someone here would have some local knowledge of Kasitsna Bay and McDonald Spit.......?

"We are headed to a rented cabin on MacDonald Spit on this coming Sunday the 22nd.

Was wondering about access from the Kasitsna bay side, I have been told that you need a 12'-13' plus tide to get in there, but just wondering if thats a fact?
    We will be in a OB/ proped, river boat, still needs some water.

I am somewhat familar with the area as I have been back into Tutka a number of times, I just never had a reason to go into Kasitsna bay, there always was a lot of boat traffic in & out of there & I just figured with the amount of activity and private cabins I would stay away.

I have looked at the approach, and realize to access the area directly behind the spit one needs to go almost to the mainland and then cut back almost paralleling the spit."

Thanks
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Gramps-
    My first cabin in Kachemak Bay, called "Cliffhanger", was on the cliff as you approached McDonald Spit along the main shoreside. I always had water (well, mostly) to get in and out, and I pitied the spit residents who had to wait till mid-tide before they came blasting out of there to go start their day on the water.

I think 12-13 feet is a good number, but I will defer to water taxi driver extraordinaire Homer Dave, who will chime in soon, I'm sure.

This I know for sure:. You ABSOLUTELY need to run along the shore line as you approach the spit so you miss the hidden bar (see photo #7-8) that has grabbed many an unwary boater. As you come into Kasitsna, point your bow towards the last cabin on the main gravelly beach (there should still be a white mooring buoy near the shore), and when you get close to that buoy, turn parallel to the beach and run the rest of the way to the spit, hanging off the shore about 150 feet or so.

The more water you can wait for on your first time in the better. That said, it's a muddy bottom (great clamming), so you can't do too much harm to your prop...

Cliffhanger if you don't mind I ask how much did you sell that cabin for.That is a very cool looking place, just my style.

Elim-Sent you a PM.