Thread: Another reminder to be careful.....

Default Another reminder to be careful.....

I came across a link to this thread on another forum. It sounds like a double charge + of Unique was the end of his 44mag. Fortunately it doesn't sound like anyone got hurt. I (like many others) load lots of 45 Colt and 454 plinkers with Unique, a double charge is what I am always trying to prevent. Here's why....

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=593313

Remember to check those cases for the proper powder charge before seating the boolit....

Jeez, that is quite the explosion. I check all my cases with a flashlight after charging them, but I think it's time to upgrade the system.
    Glad I wasn't holding that gun.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Wow!

That is why I NEVER use a reloading block when loading Unique. (or any other fast powder) I always immediately seat a bullet after throwing the powder charge into a case...don't make an opportunity for a double-charge to happen...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

I have done it years and years ago to a Colt Detective 38 and I assume a double shot of Bullseye. Now I always pass every loaded round over a scale in addition to being very cautious in every other step along the way. Trailboss (high bulk) powder has become my plinking powder now though, cheap(ish), meters great, canít double charge it, and a full case gives around 50-60% power in just about whatever youíre loading.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Thanks for the Reminder

Double Charges are something I'm paranoid of.

When I'm using a powder that allows them, like with a faster powder in a large revolver case, or a reduced charge for cast bullets in a rifle.

I check the cases for powder depth, using a wooden dowel, on which, I put a mark at the place where the end of the case is, on a correctly charged round.

I do that because I learned a long time ago, I'm not infallible. The only problem was, my wife learned that before I did.

You can be doin too many things at once, or something familier, and fail to take the extry care. It can happen to anyone.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

On the positive I think the grips are still good...

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    Wow!

That is why I NEVER use a reloading block when loading Unique. (or any other fast powder) I always immediately seat a bullet after throwing the powder charge into a case...don't make an opportunity for a double-charge to happen...

Marshall/Ak
    Ah jeeez. Talk about two guys reading the same signs and getting entirely different meaning! I refuse to use low-volume powders WITHOUT a loading block. Points out different paths to the same end.

I charge all my cases in the block, then hold the block up to a bright light and compare the levels of the powder in all the cases before going back and starting bullets and seating. Double charges stick out like a sore thumb. Turns out my bigger problem is NO charge.

Whatever the technique to avoid them, I agree you have to guard against doubles. I've got a perfectly fine Dillon progressive that I refuse to use with any charges that will allow an inadvertent double. I'm too easily distracted.

Ya I've done the loading block flashlight thing but now use a Lee Classic Turret press. Not a full progressive and it allows you to see the powder drop and requires you to place the bullet on the case manually. Makes it quality control pretty easy.

I've seen reference to quite a few of these "blow ups" over the years and what is missing from all of them is details as to how the overload / double charge / wrong powder got loaded.

Even details of the equipment and the techniques used is missing - a real shame but kinda of puzzling - why don't we ever get any details?

I don't remember the details but years ago a friend and I somehow threw a double charge using a Dillion 550. We caught the overage but it scared the heck out of us.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Ya, and in this case they mention pulling all the loads and finding approx 18-20gr Unique. It appears there was a mix up with powder as opposed to one double charge. Maybe in this case they just aren't sure. Anyway, I think we all know that we need to be careful and at times we need to remind ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Ah jeeez. Talk about two guys reading the same signs and getting entirely different meaning! I refuse to use low-volume powders WITHOUT a loading block. Points out different paths to the same end.

I charge all my cases in the block, then hold the block up to a bright light and compare the levels of the powder in all the cases before going back and starting bullets and seating. Double charges stick out like a sore thumb. Turns out my bigger problem is NO charge.

Whatever the technique to avoid them, I agree you have to guard against doubles. I've got a perfectly fine Dillon progressive that I refuse to use with any charges that will allow an inadvertent double. I'm too easily distracted.
    I do the same - use the block as a comparative gauge. Only pitfall is the occasional "oops" when I do something to the block to knock powder out of some of the cases and have to start over. I usually listen to music while I load but never watch TV or anything else overly distracing.... Its way to easy to look at the wrong charge line in a book or recipe and make a blunder.... I weigh every charge - slow but the way I like it....
    Good reminder thread Snyd!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Only pitfall is the occasional "oops" when I do something to the block to knock powder out of some of the cases and have to start over.

Ooooooh. Painful memories!

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've seen reference to quite a few of these "blow ups" over the years and what is missing from all of them is details as to how the overload / double charge / wrong powder got loaded.

Even details of the equipment and the techniques used is missing - a real shame but kinda of puzzling - why don't we ever get any details?

I don't remember the details but years ago a friend and I somehow threw a double charge using a Dillion 550. We caught the overage but it scared the heck out of us.
    I think you kind of answered your own question. In my case I just donít know what I did, gun went boom, hand throbbed, all charges in unfired rounds were fine, and the ones I shot were fine but for one that wasnít. So, I assume I doubled it somehow, but I have no idea how. Also who liks to talk about stupid things we did and our mistakes, itís embarrassing so who is gonna run around telling all the details about their own stupidity even if they did know them.

I charge in a block and look with light on most loads but with Bullseye or Unique I:
    Remove case from the block.
    Turn it upside down in case there is something in there.
    Look into it double check itís empty. (like I both look and feel for an empty gun chamber)
    Charge it and look at the charge under light.
    Go right to the press without setting it down and seat a bullet.
    If distracted go back and start over with that one!

Then when Iím all done I pass every round over a scale and into the ammo box for use . . . if one is out of average weight I want to know why and it comes apart to find out!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Im with you BrownBear. This is the way I and my father who taught me have reloaded all handgun rounds when using a powder measure to throw the charge. All my reloading is on a single stage press which is slow enough that I don't want to have to weigh every finished round. I do usually weigh every 10 or 20 rounds to make sure my powder measure is staying true. I reckon everyone has their own method and will stick to that, but I think attention to detail and using a block with visual inspection before seating bullets is a good method.

You have to love the "six one way, half a dozen the other" debates. If you boil it down to the common denomenator, there is a visual inspection on every round loaded. How you choose to do the inspection is far less important than how you do it, and doing it consistantly. Personally, I like the throw one, seat one, next method, but that is just because I'm used to doing it that way (and I hate when I tip a large tray over just before starting to seat the bullets).

On a slightly related note. How are you able to get a double throw on a dillon, or other turret style press? I have been eyeing the dillon press for a while but never actually seen one in action, so I'm a little confused at how it could happen.
    Use of product voids warranty.

The Dillion 550 does not automaticly advance so if you were working with seating depth or crimp and pulled the handel twice without advancing the shell plate it is possible. Powder bridging is another possibility. The point is, you need to set up a mirror or load from a position where you can see in the charged case and you really should only work with one case at a time until every thing is set. Powders that meter really well are a good plan as well. Nothing is fool proof so be careful and don't be a fool.