Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canoe regulations

Default Canoe regulations

Does anyone know if you have to have a PFD for each person in a canoe? Boating regs say yes for all boats, but don't specify canoes. Thanks.

don't know if it is the law, but of all the boats out there. canoes tip over a lot easyer than any other boat so safty is the number 1 thing, so wear it don't sit on it, if you tip over the water is about 33 DEG F or almost, an it takes your breath away so play it safe an every one should wear one even if it is not th law, I think it is the law, you just have to have one, but you should wear it not sit on it,
    I lost a very good friend a couple years ago in the Kenia river by the lodge on upper river because he was siting on it not wearing it,

canoes are boats.....the term they should use in the regs is "watercraft"......this is what it says via the regsOne USCG-approved Type I, II, III or V PFD for each person on board. Must be in serviceable condition. Persons under 13 must wear a PFD when in an open boat, on the deck of a boat or when waterskiing. it also states that a throwable device is not mandatory
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

sorry to be hard headed about this, but why in the heck would you NOT have a PFD for each person in a canoe??? given the fact that alaska either leads or nearly leads the nation in drowning deaths and that the majority of those deaths are of people not wearing PFDs, it is STUPID to not be wearing a PFD.

The crowd that doesn't believe in PFDs is the same one that doesn't believe in motorcycle helmets.

For the record, i don't like helmet laws and don't wear one if i don't have to on anything i drive, unless I want to stay warm. It is my decision. I think those who wear them have the right to do so, just as I have the right not to. I don't need more nanny state laws to help me. At the very least, by nature of my decision, nature may weed me and others like me out, leaving only the nanny lovers. But then again, if you ever rode on a long trip in 100 degree heat, you might understand why not having a helmet on would be desirable, not to mention, I think it hurts my visibility and hearing.

As for PFD's, I asked for information, not opinion. Seems all I get on this site are opinions when I ask for facts. I could care less what you think I SHOULD do concerning PFD's - just want to know what I can be fined for.

Thanks to those with valuable info. To the rest, do your thing and shutup about it.

You don't have to wear em if yah don't want to, as well as your passengers. In this state it's a presonal choice known as the "Last Frontier". The one and only time I didn't wear a PFD........a drunk chick flipped my narrow paddling canoe and couldn't swim. It was the most exausting Mid-May swim I've ever made to save her stupid life. I lost 600 dollahs worth of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I could care less what you think I SHOULD do concerning PFD's - just want to know what I can be fined for.

Thanks to those with valuable info. To the rest, do your thing and shutup about it.
    I really don't think anyone here should stand in the way of darwin.

I agree

To the OP, lighten up man. You can't post a question on a forum, then get pissed when you get answers you don't like. The decision is for you of course, but to put a question on here then get defensive about the responses is a bad move. If you don't consider a canoe a boat, don't worry about carrying PFD's to be compliant with the law. If you consider a canoe a boat, stuff a couple cheap orange floats in the boat somewhere. Pretty simple. Is a canoe a boat? Perhaps that should have been your question as you already have a firm opinion on PFD's.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Federal laws
    US coast guard
    Personal floatation devices ( PFD)
    All recreational boats must carry one wearable PFD ( Type I, II,III or type V PFD) for each person oboard. A type V PFD provides performance of either a type I , II or III PFD ( as marked on its label) and must be used acording to the label requirements. Any boat 16ft and longer ( Except canoes and Kayaks) must also carry one throwable PFD ( Type IV PFD)

PFD's must be

* coast guard approved,
    * in good and serviceable condition, and
    * the appropriate size for the intended user.
    Taken from the Federal requirments & safety tips for recreational boats booklet

But the State of Alaska has other laws than the federal laws.

The state law is that there be a PFD that fits each person in the boat,
    and persons under 13 must wear a PFD . A throw cushion is not required in either a canoe or kayak.
    this is for all boats 16 ft and longer.
    if your boat is shorter than 16 ft. I find no requirements.

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

As for PFD's, I asked for information, not opinion. Seems all I get on this site are opinions when I ask for facts. I could care less what you think I SHOULD do concerning PFD's - just want to know what I can be fined for.

This kind of thinking is like those that only wear seat belts for the cops so they don't get fined. Cops are the last people I buckle up for.
    It seams that if you only wanted facts you'd call the USCG and ask them. Here like any forum your only going to get opinions.
    Like they say opinions are like ***** holes we all got them.

If you want to know the law call the state boat people / USCG, or AUX USCG, they will talk to you, an give it all to you,
    just like power drifter stated also if it is wrong you can say &%( said so not some one of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    For the record, i don't like helmet laws and don't wear one if i don't have to on anything i drive, unless I want to stay warm. It is my decision. I think those who wear them have the right to do so, just as I have the right not to. I don't need more nanny state laws to help me. At the very least, by nature of my decision, nature may weed me and others like me out, leaving only the nanny lovers. But then again, if you ever rode on a long trip in 100 degree heat, you might understand why not having a helmet on would be desirable, not to mention, I think it hurts my visibility and hearing.

I'm with you on this, but on sites like these you got to expect the safety police to chime in. It's what they live for. They can't accept that some people CAN swim and don't get too drunk to do so. Glad they weren't around to stop our explorers from discovering the west because they didn't have life vests. Its simple, if you feel you need them wear them. Don't bag on people who are fit and able enough to choose not to.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Best to get the written laws governing the waters you intend on using.
    only the written law from the agency of Said,, will protect you in the event you run into an over zealous officer.
    As a side note, I see many of the villages along the Yukon river have pushed for folks to sign up and decide to wear PFD's as a pledge.
    It looked like alot of folks had pledged to wear the PFD's .

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

If you don't like them don't wear one. Alaska waters are cold and it is a way to bring the body back for the family to lay to rest. Ask Todd Hardwick how hard it was to wait for a week for the body to gas up and float back up. Drunks don't revive when they drown.
    I have pulled 3 body's with no PFDs it is not something I want to do again.

You don't have to wear em if yah don't want to, as well as your passengers. In this state it's a presonal choice known as the "Last Frontier".

Mainer_in_Ak
    I don't know the exact laws of Alaska on this topic, but I have been reading the Alaska Troopers Dispatch Reports. Lately I have seen that people are getting tickets / fines for not having a PFD for each person on the boat. Don't know if it is 'river' or 'water' specific, but it looks like it is not a personal choice in some areas of the "Last Frontier"

A couple of scenarios....your overheated hot summer head hits the ice cold water....it will knock you out cold....you are hit in the head, either by a sweeper, a rock, the boat. I don't care how good of a swimmer you think you are....if you are incapacitated, you will just drown....if you are wearing a vest, you have a chance.....you should be wearing a vest with a quick release knife, in case someone (like you or your child) is tangled up in a rope or gear and is being held under, after the canoe flips....it all just boils down to being a common sense sort of a choice.....or you can choose to be a ------------- and drown.....
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 05-25-2011 at 08:27.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    You don't have to wear em if yah don't want to, as well as your passengers. In this state it's a presonal choice known as the "Last Frontier".

Mainer_in_Ak
    I don't know the exact laws of Alaska on this topic, but I have been reading the Alaska Troopers Dispatch Reports. Lately I have seen that people are getting tickets / fines for not having a PFD for each person on the boat. Don't know if it is 'river' or 'water' specific, but it looks like it is not a personal choice in some areas of the "Last Frontier"
    Having it with you and actually wearing it are two different things. My understanding is that you technically just have to have it with you. Only kids 16 and under (or is it under 16???) are required to be wearing them. I believe it is a statewide law, not specific to the body of water.

Under the age of 13 need to wear a PFD
    so 12 yr olds would be the magic number
    A PFD for everyone in the boat, and it needs to fit

AK Explorer: Yes, you do need a PFD for every person in a canoe...and a canoe is considered a boat. Here are links to the laws, both Federal and State...happy reading! Mike

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr175_05.html
    http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/...Section010.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast