Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info about setting up a wall tent for moose hunt and moose camp generaly

Default Info about setting up a wall tent for moose hunt and moose camp generaly

Hi guys! I just bought a 12X14 wall tent. It is the primitive style, no zipper and "tie" style doors in both ends. I dont have a frame or even a ridge pole yet do you prefer internal frames or is it just as easy to get natural materials where you camp at and do it that way? Is it worth the money to put a sod cloth around the base? I also though about sewing up one of the doors. Do you prefer the wood stove at the front or back of the tent? Do you cook inside the tent or out side? Any pics you have or advice would be appreciated. Oh, and where is your favorite place in fairbanks to take the tent to get the sewing done?

thanks guys!

All answers below relate to boating with a wall tent set up.

I like the stove in the back, that way less chance of burning yourself, and the wood stash, and folks warming themselves are out of the way. I have a sod cloth, it does help with drafts and skeeters for sure. We use ours in bear country all the time, and haven't had any concerns with the cooking inside, and I usually stink already so not worried about a moose bolting due to my baconny aroma. We usually sleep in separate tents and use the wall tent for cooking, warming, cards, drying gear etc. Bears in southwest seem to be more into rolling your fuel barrels around than your frying pans.

I carry a ridgepole made of 2x4's that have a splint in the middle (1x4's screwed to one side and I use 1/4 inch hardware with wingnuts for quick assembly on the other). We tend to be in tree filled areas so the tent is hung between trees, rope loops on each end of the ridgepole make for quick connection, and strong rope is strung from the chose two trees. I'd like to fabricate a metal one, but the wood one works pretty well.

For the sides, I usually just use scrap stuff 4 ft or slightly longer looped close to the grommets with ropes and guyed out with stakes and it fills out just fine. It's nice to have a ridgepole as a decent one can be hard to find, or time consuming if you just want it up to get out of the weather (fancy it up later etc.), or straight long poles are just not available, and it's easier on the no trace aspect of camping if that's important to you.

These things are a little bulky, kinda heavy, but man oh man do I enjoy them when it's cold or wet...and love em when it's both. It's also great to have a protected place to cook, makes camp much more comfortable. PS, bring a folding table, also so worth the extra weight etc. Lots of light ones available. Enjoy.

On our Yukon hunt this last fall, we brought the wall tent and wood stove and it was def. a must have. Lots of room to cook in and get out of the cold. We had no trouble cutting ridge poles and we put it up and tore it down in two different locations. Nope, no sod cloth for us. It was very much worth the effort.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I use a Pine tree pole Ive shaved down smooth,dry and light and its about 1-1/2 feet longer at both ends of my tent.
    I also use a "T" type poe inside or tie my ropes to my pole when in th etrees (keeps th ecanvas from being pulled)

I put my firebox near the door, so the fire can be thrown out if nessassarry, keeps in the heat better when fols go in and out, and the woods,mess, stays closer to the door.
    I dont sew doors, but you can peg one side to the ground.
    I also us Jute or hemp ropes, as they swell and tighten in rain, making your canvass tight and better drained.
    A plastic fly is nice, but noisy, a canvas fly over top is quiet but wieghs alot more.......plastic on the floor never botherd me much though ........
    Insted of banking in sod, I throw down my firewoods or snow, but remmeber, canvas rots, so try and keep it dry.

Have fun
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Wall Tents are very great for your moose camp.....except.....
    Some are very heavy affecting your height limit when flying into remote areas.
    Some areas do not have "natural materials", strong enough trees to build a support frame.
    Some early hunts, even with some type floor material, will let them little bast*** no-see-em/white-socks biting flies inside 'cause they live down in the tundra ground plants when they are not flying around or eating our blood.

I prefer the BombShelter tents from Barneys or the Arctic Oven tents from Alaska Tent & Tarp.

But sometimes those wall tents can work just fine or great. And if the wall tent is what you already have and you do not want to purchase another expensive tent, then I bet it will work just fine. It all depends..........

dennis

Build your own frame out in the bush, keep the stove in the front next to wood stash,
    dirt floor is best, no need to sew up front, use a thermacell if buggy. Use tent for cooking, gear storage and whatever. Sleep in your 2-4 man 4 season tents.

Wall tent and wood stove... the portable cabin....

My buddy Silvertipgriz has a 10x12x4 that we have used off and on for years. He had some angles made for the internal frame which is 1 inch conduit. Sets up quick. His has the sod flap and the flapper/tie door. Stove is in front. The frame is nice but does add a little more bulk and weight to the gear but we've used it on boat and atv hunts. Sets up easy. Sure is nice once you get it there. He treated the roof but we also have covered it with a tarp and made an awning off the front as well. We always thought it would be cool to have a wooden frame stashed in the woods so we wouldnt have to haul in the other frame. But we never got around to it. Here's a couple pics of it.

Gotta post this one with the 69 1/4 incher! Shane got to lower the boom on this guy.

Thanks a bunch guys! I think im going to spend the 300 or so dollars and add 1 foot of vinal to the sides and another 2 feet for sod cloth so i should have a 14X12X6 tent when it is all said and done. I hear that vinal is really resialant and shouldn't wick moisture up into the canvas of the tent. adding a zipper to one end of the tent is only 50 dollars, and i dont think i will sew up the other end like i though i would origonaly (it has doors at bolth ends). I will also get a HUGE blue tarp to act as a rain fly and an awning off the front.

@Snyd did you leave a big one for me or is that it

@stranger going to defiantly rock the hemp rope. Should it be treated so it do sent rot??

to everyone else, there is at least one thing out of your posts that i will be using for sure THANKS AGAIN

A long 2 or 3 inch ratchet strap makes for a fairly good ridge pole if you have the trees to support it - the straps won't stretch.

My favorite way is to cut pecker poles when you get to your camp spot - then re-use those same poles for years after. Hard to pack poles on horses in the mountains.

If you have the means to get the tent to camp they are awesome. If horse packing I mostly use my Kifaru because it is light, but it is not as comfortable or roomy as a good wall tent.

love my 12 x17 wall tent, started useing oil drip stove last year, don't have to feed the fire in the middle of the night wieghs alot less than steel wood stove burns a gallon in 24 hours.Only draw back is to many people sleeping in one tent. We also set up a screen patio tent to cook in.

I really like the idea of a ratchet strap. That sounds like a good idea! I have also heard of people using pecker poles to build the tent frame, but i have also heard of others showing up before the original builders and using the tent frame. I think that could be an ugly situation!

Hi ya'll i just had to bring this thread back up. No dead bull moose, but mom and the two little girls had an AWSOME time. Thanks for the great advice and have a look around camp.moose camp 2 003.jpgmoose camp 2 015.jpg

moose camp 2 013.jpgmoose camp 2 019.jpg
    happy mom, happy baby. Dry and warm too!

I haven't used a wall tent. I really like the look of the tents from snowtrekker.com I'd like to do some predator hunts and winter camp with a stove. Why do winter tents cost so much? Arctic Ovens and similar walls are 2000.00 or close to that. I need something about 400.00 for 2 to 3 people that can get me out in the winter. Wh has the dollars for all these toys?

if you start doing your home work, hard core, you find out that the artic ovens are the cat's meow. They are built from the ground up with space age materials, so they weigh next to nothing, dont have condensation on the inside and at 0 F you have to sleep with a window open becasue your sweating.

Or you can do like i did, just keep on looking around. My tent and wood stove cost me only 125 and the guy threw in a 5 lb sleeping bag too. Granted im the exception to the rule. You should be able to find a 12x14 tent with an internal frame for 300 or so. Any thing more your geting screwed, anthing less, well, set it up first. A bear or mold may have added a sun roof or an extra door.

You could always look for surplus and a yukon stove if you are looking for something cheaper. They are HEAVY especially with the liner.

I have a 10x12 wall tent with the snow flap on the bottom that I have owned since 1982. I like the stove in the front. I lay a tarp on the ground in the back of the tent and 3 men can sleep comfortably. I have always cut my own poles. You need 7 total. This tent came from Alaska tent and tarp. My sove is 12"x24" and the pipe fits inside it. A wall tent is a luxury on a hunt. I have only used it on moose hunts and one Bison hunt. Its like a cabin as others have said. I think my tent weighs 40 lbs. I have a fly for it and stove jack too. The older you get the more you like the wall tent!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    You could always look for surplus and a yukon stove if you are looking for something cheaper. They are HEAVY especially with the liner.
    throw up pics if you can! even if they are off the net, and prices would be nice too. us n00bs need visuals

I love a well set up wall tent. Next to a cabin they are the best. Mine is a 12x17 with internal aluminum frame, 2 side windows, zippered screen doors on both ends, a 6" flap all the way around the bottom, rain fly and no floor. It takes a 5" chimney pipe. I special ordered the tent from Montana Tent and Canvas and it is made out of their Realite Material. The one you have will be just fine and I would practice setting it up in the yard and figure out what works best. I tuck mine away in the timber, a big wind would blow it over like it did my friends 12 x 15 canvas wall tent, fortunately the stove had went out. I cook in mine if the weather is bad and I don't have a cooking area set up. I consider it my home when I am in it and the bears can just leave me alone. I know and have known many hearty Alaskan's who lived in a wall tent for a long time when they first came to Alaska. I think they are a thing of beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    throw up pics if you can! even if they are off the net, and prices would be nice too. us n00bs need visuals
    Here is a link of a surplus tent with liner and poles it shows the combined weight of 65lbs and just search ebay or google and you will find many. You might be able to find cheaper if you can buy directly from someone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-Mili...-/160663158287

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast