Thread: Mono for Kings

Post Mono for Kings

What pound test monofilament do recommend for king fishing from the bank? In the past, I've used straight #30 and felt undermatched.

As far as gear, I mostly use a bait casting set-up to flip or plunk. For tossing lures or bobbers with bait, will employ a spinning rig.

My concern is loss of casting ability and/or sensitivity with heavier line.

well I run a 20lb and I feel fine with that..........on the parks. For the kenai I wouldn't even try it for reds. I would think 30 is good, but I don't think it would matter what you used fishing from the bank on the kenai.......if you are lucky enough to hook a king you are way out gunned, I think your best shot would be to run braid, or hope a boat stops and helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    well I run a 20lb and I feel fine with that..........on the parks. For the kenai I wouldn't even try it for reds.
    I agree, I run Trilene Xtra low vis green 20# and 25# mono.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

P-Line, floroclear in 20 or 25#
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Anything greater than 20 mainline starts to get pretty crappy as far as handling characteristics.... not to mention it'll break most salmon rods.

Need to beef up the leader for teeth.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I had a bad expereince with braided last season fishing for kings. It just didn't handle the gravel and silt in the rivers. the one good day I had I lost 4 hookups when the 30# braided line snapped.

went back to mono but no more luck for last year. I ususally run 25#

I think the braid snapping problem may be your drag. I use braid exclusively for my main line and mono for my leader. Braid has no stretch and therefore needs less drag so the reel gives on the hookset and fight. Mono has a significant amount of stretch and allows you to run a tighter drag than with braid. As for mono leaders, I have used 50 lb mono but it is a bit big for clearer waters, I am currently using 30lb P-line hybrid which is a florocarbon/nylon hybrid. I would recommend a florocarbon type leader with whichever main line you use. Fighting kings from shore requires patience and letting the drag of your reel wear the fish down, if you try to horse one in, you will likely break off, even with 50 or 60lb braid, or break your rod. Quality gear is worth the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    I had a bad expereince with braided last season fishing for kings. It just didn't handle the gravel and silt in the rivers. the one good day I had I lost 4 hookups when the 30# braided line snapped.

went back to mono but no more luck for last year. I ususally run 25#
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I was loosing a lot of reds with 25 mono last year from the bank in the current on the Kenai. No way i would try a king with it.

I'm an avid believer in Maxima line. It's twice as tuff as it's rated on the box and easy to handle. Hard to find in Alaska, but Walmart sells it. If you can get it in 25# you won't be dissapointed. That's what all the Lake Superior river fishermen use in Minnesota for Stealhead fishing. I've never used any line that rates like this stuff pound for pound. Be careful if you snag it on the oposite bank. You'll cut your fingers trying to break it and it snaps back at you like a broken cable.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I was loosing a lot of reds with 25 mono last year from the bank in the current on the Kenai. No way i would try a king with it.
    Seriously?

I'd believe it only if you were ripping the hooks out of 'em.

If you were snapping 'em off, I'd either get some new line or learn to tie a different knot.

Barring sharp teeth, 15# Maxima UG with good knots will whip any river fish in Alaska. It's all in the way you apply pressure during the fight. Think low and to the side off your downstream shoulder.

Most salmon rods are on the verge of exploding with only 5-6 pounds of load at the rod tip. Most folks never put half that pressure on a fish.... except when they go to straight-line one to purposely break it off.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

For Sockeye on the Kenai, if I want to just get the fish in, I use 30 lb main line and 25 lb leader for reds, to have a fun day fighting fish I use 15 lb main line and 12 lb leader for reds, for Kings I only use 40 lb chameleon main line and 50 lb maxima, big game leader, if I fish late in July, I might go to 60 lb big game for the sharp teeth. Bank fishing for Reds, and a boat is a must for larger Kings on the Kenai, Silvers can be had with the Sockeye set up. Pinks can be had with the 15 lb set up. The drag on your reel is one of the most important things above the line, a good Shimano Reel with a steady drag works great, the TE401 is my favorite for Kings, and the 201B is great for Reds, Silvers, and Pinks. I think you could land a 35 lb King from the bank if you had a little slack water to get it out of the water currant. Have fun and use what you have, if it gets off there are always more fish in the river.

You do lose some performance when you size up your line, however, if you're casting something big and heavy it won't matter much... you can still chuck a big heavy lure or weight a long ways with 40 lb test, and if you're just flipping it won't matter much anyways... just make sure the reel you are using has enough capacity to hold an adequate amount of 40 lb test (most reels don't).
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Seriously?

I'd believe it only if you were ripping the hooks out of 'em.

If you were snapping 'em off, I'd either get some new line or learn to tie a different knot.

Barring sharp teeth, 15# Maxima UG with good knots will whip any river fish in Alaska. It's all in the way you apply pressure during the fight. Think low and to the side off your downstream shoulder.

Most salmon rods are on the verge of exploding with only 5-6 pounds of load at the rod tip. Most folks never put half that pressure on a fish.... except when they go to straight-line one to purposely break it off.
    Doc where we fish the current is STRONG. We would hook a fish and if it ran downstream we would just hang on. many time the line snapped. Brand new Trilene XT. We fish a private cabin and the guys from the cabin upstream from us had visitors. they came over as we were putting our heavier line on. they gave us a hard time about not knowing how to fish. they were great guys. well down to the river we go. many times they hooked a fish and soon it would be in front of us and then SNAP! off to trustworthy they went for heavier line. They were not knots breaking. Doc where we fish 15lb would be a folly. If you let them run with the current soon they would be way downstream and then you had to horse them back up. The guys i fish with are very seasoned Alaskans who live to fish. They started out with heavier line. My biggest pike is 21lbs caught on 4lb line crappie fishing. You are right its all in how you fight them. Fighting the red was no problem. Fighting the current was a whole new ballgame.

Now, I'm not a king fisherman, but I have intentionally caught a few, and I usualy use 25 Lb mono, when I rig for kings, it matters how you "play" them. if you are in a really busy area, I would get 35# Braided, I prefer braided anyway, cause you can get more on and it casts easier, I run a 3 foot mono leader, 25 Lb with a barrel swivel, really helps having the extra swivel, sure don't get as many rats nests.