Thread: boat size for dipping on the kenai

Default boat size for dipping on the kenai

I have a 14 foot jon boat with a 25 horse I was wanting to know if this will work for dip netting on the kenai. My understanding is that from the Warren Ames bridge to the mouth of the kenai there is not restrictions on motor or boat type. Is this correct?

Default Motor restrictions

Motor has to be a 4 stroke, 2 stroke EFI, or electric (good luck with that). Motor size restriction starts just upstream of the gasline crossing, and is 50 hp max.

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 05-19-2011 at 12:25. Reason: left out a word

Where did you get that map the regulations I read state something different. If you look on the right side under horsepower restrictions, I read it as no one may use a 35 or bigger unless it is a four stroke.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...enaiGuides.pdf
    also this map
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kenrvmap.htm
    Last edited by jason66396639; 05-19-2011 at 12:59. Reason: add

Jason, those are state parks regs, the mouth down below the bridge is not within it's bounds. I do believe!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Here's the source:

ADF&G Kenai Personal Use Salmon Fishery

Scroll down the page 'bout 3/4's and you'll see the info.

~tr

I've been working on environmental regulations all day at work so i'm going to stay out of that debat, however I would NOT recommend dipping out of a 14' boat on the busy days, particularly when the water is low.

When the water is low and 100 boats are running up and down it gets quite rough, particularly between the canary and the dead line. You could probably get away with it if you stayed up around the bride or fished during slower days.

Default mucho macho boats

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I would NOT recommend dipping out of a 14' boat on the busy days, particularly when the water is low...between the cannery and the dead line. You could probably get away with it if you stayed up around the bridge.
    Roger that. I stay away from the rodeo across from the city dock. You will have no problem limiting out with your 14' between the bridge and the cannery. It can actually get quite phenomenal on the north bank from the bridge down to the gasline corner. Beware the sandbar that parallels the bank about 30 yards offshore .

Interesting Places

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 05-24-2011 at 19:38. Reason: thought of something else

I'm glad you could interpret my post! I must have been half asleep when I wrote that, spelling, grammar...

speaking of that sandbar, it is not a question of if, it is a question of when, LOL
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?