Thread: spinning gear vs fly fishing

Default spinning gear vs fly fishing

In your opinion, what works best for trout and grayling in rivers and streams. Ive always been a spinning gear fan, throwing small spinners. I always seem to come across alot more fly fisherman when I am out and about though. I catch a lot of fish, but I do not fly fish at all, just wondering what you guys think.

Both are fun, and from one time to the next one might work better than the other. Often they both work well. The spinning rod will do some things a fly rod can't do, and visa versa. The only distinction for fly fishing really, is whether you can put the fly where it needs to be. If not, then the spinning rod will be better for you.

Big reason why I prefer fly fishing for grayling is it's a lot more fun for me. I'm perfectly happy to have a pard spin fishing at the same time. No big nevermind, but more often than not my pard is borrowing my fly rod and asking for lessons before the day is over. It's a whole different experience than spin fishing, and you either like it or you don't. I'd say try it and see what you think. If it's not a fit, enjoy the spinning rod.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrab24 View Post
    In your opinion, what works best for trout and grayling in rivers and streams. Ive always been a spinning gear fan, throwing small spinners. I always seem to come across alot more fly fisherman when I am out and about though. I catch a lot of fish, but I do not fly fish at all, just wondering what you guys think.
    You should try it out. I think its a preference thing or an ideological thing for some. I personally look at it as, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Different situations call for different approaches. One stretch of the river can vary so much from another. If you want to catch fish you have to be able to change your approach and one way all the time does not give you the versatility that fishing demands. Get a fly rod, learn how to use it, carry both.

I do both, but enjoy fly fishing a lot more. Like BrownBear said, it's all about getting the fly where it needs to be and presenting it correctly. And when fish are rising to the surface and eating flies, I would wager that nothing beats dry-fly fishing, both in success of getting the fish and fun. It's awesome to see a fish hit your fly off the top.

Give it a try!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Snowcrab24
    I've always been a spinner person, but I can tell you there have been a lot of times when you see the little whirlpools where Grayling are sucking down surface bugs, that I've wished i had a fly rod...!!

I always bring both with me. There are a lot of times when you get to some awesome creeks that are filled with fish, but the water is only 5 or 6 feet wide. Its often awkward to cast in that situation, so flipping a fly is both easier, and a load of fun. Fly fishing is like craps; it looks more complicated than it is. If you want to get started, you can pick up a dirt cheap (40-60ish) complete 5 weight (for trout) fly set up. If you like it, upgrade it (ALWAYS upgrade to a lifetime warranty, I break rods all the time). Another option is renting a set up, just to see if you like it. A third, and may be your best option, is just borrow one from a friend.

I would do it soon, while the fish are close to shore. TONS of fun. I'll include a video I took last week at Lorraine Lake (Pt McKenzie area).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aSDdfLck4M

Jarod
    Download the free FISH FINDER app for Iphone
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Default Best?

People fish for different reasons. I think it's tough to catch more fish fly fishing. Bigger fish? Don't know. Spin gear probly. But "what works best" might mean something else to those flyrodders that you see. We're anglers all. Just speaking for myself, but there is something about fly fishing that seems to affect people... it seems like the experience of fishing is different for them.

The very difficulty of hooking a fish on fly gear, makes the take all the more rewarding. I never tire of the challenge. I catch fewer fish alright, but don't even think about taking spin gear anymore.

"The take instantly validates our efforts, conferring a measure of definitiveness and closure to an enterprise otherwise riddled with uncertainty and inconclusivness. Few things in life, I think, have this to offer".
    -Ted Leeson, The Habit of Rivers, 1994

Fishermen all get fanatical, but fly fanatics are different. Like this:

"I spent the entire dream fishing a single Griffith's gnat"
    - Harry Middleton, Rivers of Memory, 1933

Those flyfishers you saw, were they smiling? Seem like they were really enjoying themselves? Don't try fly fishing, man .

Have a good summer.

Being doing both for many, many years. What I came to realize a many years ago is, if there are fish to be caught in that water, fly fishing provides a far greater probability for success. I have proved it to myself and others many times over.

That being said, I enjoy nearly any kind of fishing, but fly fishing has them all beat, particularly because I catch fish on my own hand tied flies. How can anyone beat that?