Thread: King's River Goats

Default King's River Goats

Has anyone hunted, scouted, or have any information about hunting goats in the King's River drainage out of Whittier?

My partner and I drew permits this fall for that area, but I have never been there before.

I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks,
    Tod

I'm sure you'll get TONS of responses!....Nobody gives any information to anybody on these things, You just have to go out and scout, and be where the goats will be come opening day, your best bet is to pay for a flight and scout the area, and map it on your GPS, how do you think these old school hunters and guides did it, they had to work for alot of their information. My dad knew where he saw at least 4,forty-plus inch rams in the Brooks, and he wouldn't even tell me where...K

Actually, I find that people are a little more willing to share info on drawing tags, as they won't be in direct competition unless both parties have a permit. As for this one, all I know is that the goats are typically back from the end of the bay a few miles (at least) and that they alders are incredibly bad, even for goat country. I know that the success rate is low because of access issues and difficulty of getting to the goats through the alders. There should be some big billies back there, though. Good luck!

-Brian

lol i wouldnt' mark it with my GPS and post that here...slightly illegal!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

How is that illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default BS

It's not illegal!

Expect alders.....lots and lots of alders...... most miserable alder thicket you'll ever go into. Plenty of goats, especially if you get back up the river and around the corner. Plenty of black bears as well. Expect typical PWS weather - wind and RAIN. Success rates are very low due to weather and terrain. Also, there's not much for a safe anchorage at the head of the bay if you plan to take your boat.