Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new inflatable raft from JP Marine

Default My new inflatable raft from JP Marine

www.jpmarine.com Found this boat on ebay and then contacted the dealer directly. Great to deal with and price way below comparable models locally. I have not had it in the water. As far as I know from talking with the dealer I'm the first in AK to have bought one directly. But on paper their 14' Patrol Series boat is equal or exceeds other manufacturer specs. I looked at a comparable Mercury HD inflatable at a local dealer and they wanted $6,400 for just the boat! The MSRP on the one I got was $2,695. I negotiated free shipping to Tacoma and Carlile shipped it up here for $96. I ordered it last Wednesday and it got here yesterday.

Put it together last night in my garage and I an very impressed. Fit and finish is excellent. Accessories are impressive. This is not a bare bones inflatable. You can check out the website and see what you get, but I'll say a bit here.

*Two pumps (Big two way Floor pump and foot pump)
    * Two aluminum seats
    * 4 paddles (no oars, and no oar locks)
    * Two patch kits
    * 1 replacement part each for air safety valve, pump valve, and drain valve
    * Pressure gage for checking individual tube pressure
    * Two dry storage bags (front bag and side bag)

I'm not saying that this boat is better than anything sold or made locally, but if price is an issue and you don't want to buy used consider these guys. So far my experience was great!

RipandTear.jpg

Had the boat out for the first time. Took it across Kachemack Bay, to Tutka bay and camped out. Boat did really well. Love all the D rings for strapping stuff down. Boat is 14' long with 6.5' beam, 20" tubes, aluminum floor. Run with a 20 hp 4-stroke Yamaha SS. People and gear weighed about 1,000 lbs. Boat weighs 253 lbs, motor weighs 115 lbs. I was able to do pproximately 18 mph across the bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default JP Marine In action

Couple more picks heading back to Homer on Monday. Without the wife, kid, and dog (approximately 270 lbs) I was able to do 20 mph.

Kachemack Bay.jpgKachemack Bay2.jpg

Came across Kachemack Bay at about 11 am on Monday. Full day breeze had kicked in. Not the best time to cross. Approximately, 3 ft to maybe 4ft day breeze, but was a following seas so that helped. Boat performed great. Tracked well, stayed on step, and other than a little spray here and there was what you'd expect for running an inflatable across the bay mid-morning. These two pics are just off the spit headed into the harbor so the water was calmer.

Kachemack Bay 4.jpgKachemack Bay 3.jpg

nice to see a fellow alaskan with the inflatable i was looking at. I may end up buying the saturn sd430 14 footer for 1400 shipped to anchorage. that JP Marine one said no shipping to ak on their ebay listing so i had to pass it on up.

Call them directly ask to talk to Manny. I negotiated free shipping and then they shipped it to Carlile in Tacoma, WA. Carlile charged me $96 to ship to AK. I had it in a week from the day I ordered from JP Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Call them directly ask to talk to Manny. I negotiated free shipping and then they shipped it to Carlile in Tacoma, WA. Carlile charged me $96 to ship to AK. I had it in a week from the day I ordered from JP Marine.
    Just hit the purchse button on this Saturn 12 footer for 1079 shipped. I should of stuck to my gut and select the 14 ft series but i'll live with 200 extra dollars in my pocket LOL.

inflatable-boats-SD430_15.jpg
    http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_sd365.asp

Now what motor to use??????? looking for at last a 15hp since the transom is maxed at 30hp.

Bigger is always better. I wish for $100 more I would have gotten the 15.5' patrol series. I got a Yamaha 20 hp 4-stroke. The weight is the same since most 15's and 20's are the same power head. So, for the weight I'd go with a 20 hp. It's portable if you want and provides plenty of power. Anything over 20hp and the weight goes up to 187 lbs+. If you're planning on keeping it inflated and on a trailer then I'd get a 30 hp. I use mine mostly for remote lakes with my Ranger so portability was the key for me.

yeah i think a 20hp motor will do. i plan to only have 2-3 people on the boat most of the time mainly for fishing. I'll take it for a spin in the whittier passage. I want to try some butt fishing while im down there . i see a couple remote streams in whittier passage, i wonder if they have salmon going upstream to spawn.

Inflatable rafts are truly flexible little systems for just about any kind of activity you do that needs "something that floats".No doubt bigger is always better.I own an inflatable raft. And while I get the inflatable kayak to be a bit more versatile for my particular needs, there is no query that water rafts have there own little place too.

FYI.....Alaska Raft and Kayak is now a local dealer for Jp Marine inflatable boats and have two on the show room floor if anyone wants to check them out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrgsholly View Post
    FYI.....Alaska Raft and Kayak is now a local dealer for Jp Marine inflatable boats and have two on the show room floor if anyone wants to check them out!
    very nice! thanks for the heads up. i was looking at this on ebay way back before i bought my saturn boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry8100 View Post
    Inflatable rafts are truly flexible little systems for just about any kind of activity you do that needs "something that floats".No doubt bigger is always better.I own an inflatable raft. And while I get the inflatable kayak to be a bit more versatile for my particular needs, there is no query that water rafts have there own little place too.
    Above Ground Pool

Let me ask a question on this boat. Do you think its safe to travel from Juneau to Freshwater Bay in this-a 14' JP Marine with a 20 hp motor. I wondering about open water, swells, etc. Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by gene_f View Post
    Let me ask a question on this boat. Do you think its safe to travel from Juneau to Freshwater Bay in this-a 14' JP Marine with a 20 hp motor. I wondering about open water, swells, etc. Anyone??
    Bad idea. You could do it if you chose your weather, but still...not the best idea.

It should ba at least as safe as my 14' Lund with 20hp. Good thing about SE is you are never far from land and propper supplies on board can make it a fun experance.Not prepared and you make the paper.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

sorry not familiar with "SE". ok another question which i can't find an answer for on the internet. can i take a truck and trailer on the ferry from juneau to hoonah? i want to pack a 14' X 16' log cabin package up with me but the ferry looks like its for passengers and cars only.

SE = Southeast Alaska, where Juneau and Hoonah are.

You can take a truck and trailer combo on most AK ferries. You just have to book and pay for the entire length of truck & trailer combined. There are length limits though, so you might want to check that on their web site.

sounds like it could be a fun adventure . BE SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It should ba at least as safe as my 14' Lund with 20hp. Good thing about SE is you are never far from land and propper supplies on board can make it a fun experance.Not prepared and you make the paper.
    Good Morning Fellas, That looks like a great boat and a fair price. Their site looks to have a lot of inflatable options. I had posted a question in the power boating forum about bringing my 1660 jon boat with 24" sides and 40hp Tohatsu to Haines and port hopping down to Prince Rupert on the Ferry system through the month of may. I had asked if there were any relatively protected places I could fish through Wrangell, Petersburg, POW, Ketchikan during July. I was encouraged by a couple of posters to consider an inflatable instead.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-boat-in-SE-Ak

Then I saw the reply here from someone running a 14' Lund with 20hp in Wrangell, I thought my question might be posed here. I just want to do a little salmon fishing, crabbing, maybe some rockfishing with my family as we camp and explore. I hoped to get a little more feedback from folks that fish these areas that didn't run 24'-26' bluewater boats. If it is no good, then it is no good...just thought I would ask it here. Pros & cons of my boat vs an inflatable? Are there really no protected inlets, early morning hours, fairweather days when I could pick and choose to run a small craft inshore around these towns?

Lastly, please forgive me for jacking into your thread - I could have double posted with a new thread in this subforum but knew that was probably just as bad. Thanks for any help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast