Thread: Pulling front axles from a Suzuki King Quad

Unhappy Pulling front axles from a Suzuki King Quad

I have a 1999 Suzuki King Quad 300 that has a bad differential. It has a non-factory 2" hole in the bottom of it. I need to pull the axles out to remove it. For the life of me I can't get them to budge.
    I started out by using a 2' and 3' pry bar. Nope. Then I bought a slide hammer, and that does not touch it. I wrapped 1/8" cable around the axle at the differential, clamped it in place, made a loop well away from the machine, and put a sledge hammer in the loop. When I swing the sledge and hit the end of the cable I can tell I am hitting it hard, but it is not budging.
    I have another differential to put in. On the end of each shaft that the axle slips over is a split ring keeper. I can't believe that as hard as I've hit that thing that it is not budging.
    Any ideas? Thanks for the time,
    ARR

I pulled them many times. Used to have a clutch puller with a slide hammer. Had to get it just right, but then they just pop right out when you hit it just right.

I don't know what "just right" feels like I guess. I hit that cable so hard with that sledge that I broke it. The clamps held the loops, the wire itself broke. Did your clutch have 3 arms? Wonder if I can get a 3 arm around the axle if that might help as contrasted with pulling on one point.
    I guess I am on the right track anyway. Looks like I'll need to make a beer run to finish this task though.
    ARR

I had to borrow what i used from a friend. I am thinking it was a clutch puller, but might be wrong. Had two halves with a center and two bolts ran through the top and bottom to connect the two. It was a really tight fit and I could never get it tightened, but as long as it was in the groove on the CV I could pop it out. Sometimes it took ALOT. Amazing how that little clip in there can hold that in so tight! I did it many times, and don't remember any of them coming out "easy". Changed a ton of boots on those machines!

I obviously do not have the knack. I spent the night out there whacking and pounding away. I ended up pulling the front fender off to expose things better. I even tried to pull the differential with the axles attached. Nope. Had to hook it back up. Tomorrow I head over to talk the the mechanic at Northern Power and see what he says. One other guy said to get a pickle fork and drive it in. The one I have is not wide enough or I'd have done it by now.
    One theory is that heat built up and it has caused the axle to stick to the shaft. Groovy. At a minimum I'd suspect rust. If I have to I'll take the recip saw and cut off the axle and just buy new ones. I'm not going to grow much older farting around with this thing.
    ARR

There was a big learning curve for me, but once I did a couple it became easier. One thing about pulling on the axle is it will tear apart, so that isn't an option. Wish I was up in Fairbanks, I would swing over and see if I could help!

Mike, I got beer, burgers, and a soft bed. Come on over. It'll only be a few hour drive!
    I talked w/ the guys at Northern Power sports. They said sometimes the axles are rusted on. I may measure the diameter w/ my calipers and tomorrow go get that pickle fork.
    He also said you can pull apart the inner boot, disassemble the inner cup from the rest, and try go get it out that way. If I can't get the cups off I'd have to buy them, but that would be cheaper than whole axles.
    Ok, no more sniveling. I'll head back out to the garage and knock it around a while.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Mike, I got beer, burgers, and a soft bed. Come on over. It'll only be a few hour drive!
    I talked w/ the guys at Northern Power sports. They said sometimes the axles are rusted on. I may measure the diameter w/ my calipers and tomorrow go get that pickle fork.
    He also said you can pull apart the inner boot, disassemble the inner cup from the rest, and try go get it out that way. If I can't get the cups off I'd have to buy them, but that would be cheaper than whole axles.
    Ok, no more sniveling. I'll head back out to the garage and knock it around a while.
    ARR
    Not sure if you can use it on this task, but a small propane torch used to apply some heat can really help get stuck metal apart. A heat gun might work as well.

Might not hurt to soak it in some penetrating oil.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hey Steve, glad you are back!
    I've been spraying it w/ penetrating oil, not sure if it helps, but I feel better. I'll wait to heat it until I take the boot off and pull the axle off of the cup. The axle seems good and I hate to start taking it apart, but if that has to happen then, oh well.
    I'm going to go measure the outside diameter to determine what size pickle fork I might need, and then go look to see if anybody makes such a monster. The factory built "special tool" seems mostly not available, and I don't feel like waiting a week to get this job done. Too many bears to chase in the woods if you know what I mean.
    Off to the garage I go, coffee in hand.
    ARR

Sweet Mother Mary I got it! Had to go find a fixture to use. NAPA had an inner cv joint puller for Hondas and other vehicles. The inside measurement was a bit smaller than the axle/cv joint so I had to grind it a bit. The part number is KD 3164. It is made to fit standard 1/2" slide hammer threads.
    It took a lot of doing, but finally came off. I was surprised to not find any rust at all. I wonder if it did get hot enough without gear lube to cause it to seize as it came off HARD all the way, both sides. Ok, back out to the garage to figure out how to wiggle the differential out of the frame and install the new one.
    Thanks for the feedback and I'll let you know how I do,
    ARR

Man, one more week of work and I would have come up to help you! Glad you got it. I remember doing a crap load of those on my king quads! I tore the boots all the time. Got pretty good at it!

Thought I posted earlier, but likely forgot to hit send. Anyway, been a long day, but the old KQ runs once again. So far I can't find that I messed up anything. It seems to work in all gear ranges, reverse, the whole deal. Got some more hardware to attach fenders and what not, checked the tool box, added a 1 1/2" strap as a tree wrap or winch extender, and aired the tires.
    Checking the sidewalls, it says run a maximum of 7lbs. I put in 4psi. What do you guys typically run?
    I mounted the front rack and on the lost 6mm bolt, sheared it. ARGHHHHHH. So it is off to the hardware store tomorrow for one smelly bolt and a tap to fit. DARN IT!
    What a chore, but I am smarter about it all now. Hope I don't have to do it again.
    ARR

Whooopeeee! I'm done! Tapped the stripped threads, got the rack remounted, found some wires that had melted and replaced them, did a few other odds and ends, and I am about ready to ride! It is a good feeling to do something that a guy has not ever done before and come out ahead.
    ARR