Thread: Kasilof camping late June 29th-31th

Default Kasilof camping late June 29th-31th

I'm planning a trip the the Kasilof late June and am looking for suggestions for tent camping. Do I need to make reservations ahead of time? How quickly do the state park sites fill up?

Try Johnson Lake road. There is a state campground at the beginning of the road and if you continue on the same road there is Centenial lake, and at the end of the road is Tustamena lake campground. WARNING Very rough road past the end of the pavement.

thinks for the info is it safe to say i will get a spot when i show up or would i be better off reserving a spot at a rv park. ps is that road bad by alaska standards or lower 48 ?

June does not have 31 days in it but May on Memorial Day weekend does. and its crazy in May. A month later I would think it be fine but here is the links and numbers to call to check.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kasilof.htm

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Road was passable, but full of frost heaves and BIG potholes. The camp ground road loops around, but at the time I was there you could not get through without a 4x4.

I second Bigrob's suggestion for the end of Tustumena Lake road. It is a free campground, no charge, with bathrooms and camping spots right on the Kasilof river. Pretty hard to find something like that any more for no charge and it is still relatively an undiscovered secret. June 29th is a Wednesday which means less traffic at this location because its not a weekend and you have a good chance at one of the campspots right on the river. Arriving early increases your odds. There is also a free boat launch and this is where everyone goes to launch to head up to Tustumena Lake. Yeah the road is a little rough because its rarely graded, but no problems driving it. I was there early Monday morning taking my boat out after going to the lake for a couple days. Just do it, its a good deal.

I also second Bigrob's suggestion for Centennial Lake. Now this isn't a campground with regular sites, its more like a pulloff from the road. There are no campspots but Peninsula locals sometimes camp here. If the end of Tustumena Lake road is full for some reason, my first choice, drive back to Centennial and stay there if you wish. Its no charge. Summer before last I threw up my tent and stayed here one night just cause I felt like it and there was only one other vehicle here.

that sounds great i did not want to stay at a rv park