Thread: Howard Hill Longbow?

Wink Howard Hill Longbow?

I"m a long time bowhunter considering making the switch to the longbow, I like the idea of hunting with the longbow. Any of you folks use HH bows? It seem the older I get the more basic the gear I use. To me good arrow flight, heavy arrow, 2 blade cut head, Magnus, or zwickey, is the right combo, that works for me. The only change I would like to make is the switch to the longbow. Any ideas on these bows would be appreciated. Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Long bow For sale

I have a Long Bow never used....58# 28" Draw RH 68" very nice.....$200
    Alaska

Hi Longhunter.
    I gota tell ya, I love my Longbows, & the HH is one of my absolute favorites.
    I'm cuttently shooting a 62" Big Five that's 66# @ my 27" draw. It is smoothe, hit's where I am looking, & has almost no handshock (you can't build a sub 2 pound bow without handshock regardless of what some may claim). I also have a Pronghorn longbow, which is reflex deflex. The Pronghorn is a highly respected bow, but the Hill has no more handshock than the Pronghorn. The pronghorn is the same weight & is just a bit faster, but the Hill just works.
    It's one of those bows that I can just oick up & no matter how bad I'm shooting something else, the Hill just puts them where I look.
    If I ever get around to buying another bow it will probably be another Hill, and will probably be short like the one I have now. The only difference is I will go two piece takedown for hike in & canoe hunts, & might drop a # or two.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

had a big 5 and a wesley special side by side. The big 5 kicked like a mule where the wesley was a shooters dream. To bad it was so stinking LIGHT p oundage wise.

I've considered buying a wesley and it's the only HH bow I'd own. I also have two John Schulz all bamboo (no glass) longbows, both are the grandpas. Good shooters, no handshock, and whisper quiet. Hard to find though and they aitn cheap when ya do. But they do shoot really nice.

Tradbow, if you are ever my way I'll let you shoot my Big Five, & I think you'll be pleasently suprised. I've played with both & seen no difference.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Wink

Tradbow, do you think a heavy arrow helps with handshock? I"ll always use a heavy arrow if I can, they work to well for me. This may sound foolish to some but, I hope to select the bow poundage after deciding on the mass wt. of my arrow. Its funny but I"ve gone from recurves, to 80 + hard cam overdraw bows, to 70lb finger shooter bows, to I hope the longbow with heavy alum. feather fletched arrow ,with 2 blade cut type head. How is that for progress? LOL Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Vance,

Dunno what it was, the big 5 I shot kicked like she wanted into the PBR. Changed diameter strings, even went to a dyna flight string. No change.

longhunter,

I also like heavy arrows, even tried a super heavy ash arrow and still no change. Maybe it was just that bow? I bought it used, who knows maybe it was a bit older then Vance's. I would have kept that wesley if it was 15 lbs heavier.

As far as poundage vs arrow weight. I think more importantly to penetration is arrow flight. Even a small kick reduces penetration much more then shooting a lighter arrow. So I'd pick a bow that I'd be more comfortable with and could shoot good right off the bat, then match the arrow accordingly. I've shot moose with both heavy and medium weighted arrows and achieved good to great penetration on both. Within a few inches of eachother anyways. YOu can always work up to a heavier bow in time. The kicker is, I've seen to many good shots around here jump up even just 5 lbs in weight really screw thjings up for them to the point they would have been 100 fold better off not making that change! some food for thought

I personally like the 10gr per# of bow weight guidline. I also agree on the importance of arrow flight to penetration. I'm shoting Grizzly Sticks & getting great flight.
    You may have had a Big five that was out of tiller somehow. No bowyer is perfect.
    My dream Hill is a 2 piece Cheetah with 2 extra bamboo lambs like the wesley. 62" & 63-63# @ 26.5".
    Vance in AK.

Default Weight

Never seen a HH bamboo bow that light . I thought most HH bows were 80-110 lbs.The one my buddy has is 101 lbs @28" takes 3 people to string and never seen anyone shoot it at full draw, except Howard Hill himself.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

HH Archery will build you a bow in whatever wheight you desire, including a 12# bow that Craig Ekin (the owner) built for my daughter. I would guess that the average bow that goes out of the shop is in the 55-60# range. I used to live just down the road from the sho & spent a LOT of time fondeling the bows as they went thru. Great folks & a family owned & run business.
    Vance in AK.

Default Wrong Howard Hill

Howard Hill has been deceased for a long time and hasn't built a bow . Someone else may be building a bow under his name or somethng. I know Jerry Hill has a line of bows. The Hill bows I'm speaking of were built back in the 60's when Howard made Timbo and several other movies.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Wink

Vance, broke down and ordered a HH big five from Craig 68" @ 58 lbs 28 draw. Looking foward on using it this season, God willing, got some tuning to do first! Seem like real nice people, spent some time, on the phone, answering e mails ect. before I placed my order. Thanks, to you and Tradbow for your help. Bill