Thread: Game cam settings?

Default Game cam settings?

You guys seem to like and use game cams. What sensivitivity setting do you use High / Normal or LOW?

How many minutes delay 1 or ten?

How long does a bear stay at your bait?

For those who have had a camera stolen ........use two, one on the bait and a hidden one to catch thieves. I may put one at my cabin. I have a new $100 Primos.... Is it decent?

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    You guys seem to like and use game cams. What sensivitivity setting do you use High / Normal or LOW?

How many minutes delay 1 or ten?

How long does a bear stay at your bait?

For those who have had a camera stolen ........use two, one on the bait and a hidden one to catch thieves. I may put one at my cabin. I have a new $100 Primos.... Is it decent?
    I like to use the 1 min delay and a three shot burst. I have never had a camera stolen, except from bears. Now I use a metal lock box with a chain and lock, we'll see how that goes. Had a big ole Grizz at the bait for about 4 hours the other day.
    -Caleb-

I use a 1 minute reset on mine with a 2 pic burst. Bear has chewed on my cam as well and took it off the tree. I have a couple of back ups on hand now and also am using the metal box to try and keep the bears from chewing on another. Had a brown come up and either lick the lense or stuck his nose on it. Had one up close of the top his head and the next pic was like something smeared across the lense.

I got my camera earlier this year and played with all the settings in the back yard with my dogs as test subjects. When it was below freezing I had to use the Low setting because it was taking hundreds of pictures on normal over night. Once it warmed up above freezing the normal setting seemed to be the best. It was working well on normal in the field this spring until it got stolen.

1 min delay.

Most bears stay 10-15 minutes.

I use a specific glove to handle camera before rebaiting to minimize scent.. so no bear has ever bitten it... yet...

not sure which primos it is.

Also bring a cheap hand held camera with extra card to switch out memory card and view later while sitting in stand or at home..office :-)

Then download photos after each trip and create library to better identify bears and patterns.

10 second delay and my camera's have a wide detection range. Camera's set at either a 8mp or 5mp image (depending on location) with 3 picture burst taken in 10 second intervals each trigger cycle. I always use rubber gloves when checking my cameras and while I've had bears swipe at them, so far (knock on wood), I haven't had any stolen.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

We are still trying to figure out the whole picture taking thing. My batteries have all gone dead, probably due to me grabbing AA out of the drawer my kid has a tendacy to throw bad ones back in the top drawer instead of tossing them LOL... Headed out today to check sites and cameras. Have a new pack that I know are good this time

Do you think the State Park folks have their trail cameras set on instant? I try to always smile and wave when I pass one.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Buy extra memory cards so you can swap them out and get your pictures.. I usually bring a small laptop to copy the photo's from the cards in camp. One of my camera's had over 3000 pictures on it over a weeks time. Bears were in 2/3 of the pictures and moose and smaller animals were in the other photo's.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.