Thread: Road trip from lower 48 to AK. Roadside camping?

Default Road trip from lower 48 to AK. Roadside camping?

Taking our kids on a roadtrip from Ohio to Ak. Heard several people talking about camping along the way on the side of the road- pull offs etc. We like it rough so we tent etc. Anyone know if this is legitimate to do all the way along thru Canada and in Alaska. Taking 10 or so days each way and about 5 or 6 weeks in Ak. Any advice/tips or thoughts send em over!

get ahold (buy) a copy of the MILEPOST... it will tell you just about everything you need to know for a successful drive...

We got one about a month ago.. there is a ton of information in there! Great book worth every penny! Didn't really say (that I saw) if you could camp on the side of the road. Does anyone know if people do this or if it is legal?

Depends where you are at. I have been rousted several times in British Columbia and told to move on to the nearest campground. In Alaska, most wide spots in the road aren't really condusive to tent camping. You can usually find a good abandoned gravel pit to hide in along the road, but once again it depends where you are at.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We made the trip up in 2008 and will be heading down to Florida this July. I think it will be difficult to tent camp unless you use a campground. We have a truck camper and it's much easier to camp like that. We have begun making reservations at our known stops and it's a good thing we did because the campgrounds are filling up fast. On a side not I recommend taking the Icefields Parkway West of Calgary. It's a beautiful drive. Also in B.C try to stay at Muncho Lake it's well worth it.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Default Milepost

Old John was right. We did the same thing from Michigan to AK and the Milepost is the best way to go. Camping, fishing holes, scenery...it is all in there and by the Mile! Have a great trip I envy you...

I do not know about Canada but once you reach Alaska we have what they call "Wild camping" You can tent anywhere as long as you are not causing harm to foliage and surroundings. In your Milepost it will have campgrounds and stuff listed for Canada. They have gorgeous campgrounds.

doug1980 those are great to know! We are wide open to any suggestions from "been there done thats" ! Well give that route a go and at least stop by Muncho lake if not stay there. If it takes a week - If it takes 10 days - if it takes 2 weeks to get there OK...