Thread: Cheapy boat seats..

Default Cheapy boat seats..

Another question for you boat guys. Maybe someday I will be one too after I learn more.... How do I remove the plain cheapy plastic seats from my boat?? They both are all plastic, single, back folds forward and they seem to be on some type of lazy susan set up where they can spin 360 deg. If I peak in between the bottem of the seat and the lazy susan thingy I can see some big screws but no way to get to them. It almost looks like the seats should slide off the base somehow but I see no type release. HELP!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Another question for you boat guys. Maybe someday I will be one too after I learn more.... How do I remove the plain cheapy plastic seats from my boat?? They both are all plastic, single, back folds forward and they seem to be on some type of lazy susan set up where they can spin 360 deg. If I peak in between the bottem of the seat and the lazy susan thingy I can see some big screws but no way to get to them. It almost looks like the seats should slide off the base somehow but I see no type release. HELP!
    You have to turn the seat to a position to take those four screws out of the seat using a thin open-ended wrench. You will have to try several different positions to get enough access/clearance them out. It's a pain in the butt, but it's the only way without destroying the seat.

The "lazy susan" should be bolted down to a box that is secured to your boat floor. Remove the 4 bolts that secure the lazy susan to the box and then you will be able to access the screws that secure the seat to the lazy susan.
    It's usually a tight fit to get a wrench in there to hold the bolt heads and you are typically laying on your side on the boat floor to do this. Just takes a little time.
    BK

Hmmm, really? The screws looked like a big head and ROUND but I could be wrong. I kinda though they were self tappers or something because of where they are mounted. I don't see any way to get under them to remove a nut?? When I fold the seat forward it looks like the seat slides onto a track, but again I could be wrong. Thats why I thought there might be a secret release mecho. I would hate to have to break out the sawsall because I would like to put the seats in a different location in the boat....

bk- The guy who had the boat (jon boat) mounted a seat right in the middle on the very front of the boat and the other he mounted right in the middle on the rear cross over. Looks like he somehow attatched a piece of 3/4 plywood (8"x8") to the boat and then these seats are somehow attatched to the plywood. I'll get the head lamp out, rotate and look really good tonight to see about these "bolts" you guys are talking about. I was really hoping it was going to be an easy fix but as usual in my life...

Trail,
    Hmmmm, post a pic. Might help us resolve your issue.
    BK

This may not be helpful, but a possible fix for easy removal (that I used to install a lazy susan in a closet recently):

Figure out the bolt pattern diameter (bolt circle) and center of the mounting hardware that is inaccessible. Then drill a single hole thru the seat itself that will line up with one of the screws at a time. Then you can remove a screw, spin the seat until the next screw is visible, repeat.

May not work in this case, but its all I got

EXCELLENT idea dk!! I'll check into it!

If you don't want to save the seat just take a sawsall to it.
    Cut all the way around the swivel mount, toss seat and remove screws!!!!!

does the wood that the seat mounts to come out? I would almost guarantee those screws have nuts behind them...the problem is getting to the nuts.

If I am thinking of the right kind of seat/swivel, it would be almost impossible to self tap a screw in a low clearance area.

Pics?

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

I'm sure it varies with the brand, but the cheap seat on my boat have a "hidden" latch to release them from the pivot. On the bottom at back side of the seat, reach up with your fingers between the seat and pivot and press on the flat spot. In mine that's actually a flat latch, and pressing it up allows you to slide the seat forward and off the mount. After that, the hardware is in plain sight and plain easy.

BB- That sounds exactly what mine are like. I was to busy last night dealing with the kiddo's but plan on getting the seats out tonight. I'll post pics of my progress if it might help someone eles out in the future....

If you don't get them out, I will be heading back from the valley late Friday and can stop by and take a gander.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

BrownBear is the man! BB, you saved the death of two boat seats via sawsall!! Exactly as you said, lift the VERY HIDDEN flat lever and the seats slid right off the bases!! Thanks everyone!!!

Cool. Hard on the economy when you don't tear up stuff, but a guy's gotta do what he's gotta do.

ALways great to learn something new! Thanks BB!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm sure it varies with the brand, but the cheap seat on my boat have a "hidden" latch to release them from the pivot. On the bottom at back side of the seat, reach up with your fingers between the seat and pivot and press on the flat spot. In mine that's actually a flat latch, and pressing it up allows you to slide the seat forward and off the mount. After that, the hardware is in plain sight and plain easy.
    A couple of these mounts/seats came with my project boat and I couldn't figure them out..DOH!...THANK YOU!!