Thread: Donating Meat To Charity

Default Donating Meat To Charity

Anyone know if the soup kitchens in Anchorage take Black Bear meat? I am taking a friend on a hunt in a few days and I don't think he will be able to use all of the Black Bear meat.

A few years back I contacted F & G in Anchorage for donation of BB Meat and they hooked me up with a church charity group off of Diamond and Minnesota (the mobile home park). I gave them the meat in perfect condition and they were very grateful to get it. I wish I remembered the name of the group, but they have been doing it for years. Hopefully someone else can give you the Name of a group!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

There is a spot on the forums with info on donations of meat: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akpages/hunger.htm
    If you don't have pictures, it never happened

I would glady take some BB meat. Due to work schedules and an unexpected trip out of state it doesn't look too promising for a hunt till late fall.

This is wonderful. I think bartering/trading meat, fish, or anything is a wonderful use of a large group such as are on this forum. How great is that?????

Thank you for your good heart and lack of greed. It feels good to share.

FF
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Farmgirl View Post
    This is wonderful. I think bartering/trading meat, fish, or anything is a wonderful use of a large group such as are on this forum. How great is that?????

Thank you for your good heart and lack of greed. It feels good to share.

FF
    Sport Taken Fish and Game can only be given away...not traded nor bartered, just wanted to clear that up.
    Comm and Subsistence is different...it can be bought, sold and traded, in most cases..even then not always.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks for the head's up Akres!
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Thanks for the link. If we get a bear, I'll see what we can do to donate some of the meat.

Another option that has not been mentioned......
    Eat It.
    Chop it up and package it. Black Bear meat is great. Some Alaskans prefer it over moose and sheep.

I like mixing mine with ground up moose meat so friggen good
    If you don't have pictures, it never happened

I would donate some meat, but no to charity, typically I try to give out a couple packages of meat to some people who I know are poor and didn't get a moose or bear or caribou. Makes me feel good knowing I did something productive. But, my family (13 people there for a while, cause we do foster care, but usualy 9) seems to eat all the meat me and dad can bring home (like a 450 pound pig that I raised, a BIG bodied moose and a younger forkey) and we still didn't have enough to last till last hunting season. for that 2 weeks, I had to shoot alotta grouse and rabbits. This year, now that I have a little more freedom, I plan on donating a days hunting (mostly grouse, maybe a little rabbit and prokey) to a mission or something like that.

Anybody want to do that with me?

I'll donate all the meat from my black bear.

Knew a guy who claimed the value of the donated meat as a tax deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Another option that has not been mentioned......
    Eat It.
    Chop it up and package it. Black Bear meat is great. Some Alaskans prefer it over moose and sheep.
    I've eat'n a number or black bears, and they are good meat. I still have some mountain goat, and caribou in the freezer. Not to mention the halibut and salmon I am trying to eat down before I start fishing in ernest in a few weeks. IMO, it is very hard to beat the taste of moutain goat and dall sheep. Everyone has their preference.

Another option I seem to remember seeing on the news is the Anchorage Zoo. I seem to remember there were things they wanted and some they didn't. Seems it is best for meat that didn't make it out of the field well, got freezer burned, etc.

http://www.alaskazoo.org/

Probably better for charity (humans), but this might be a good back up.