Thread: what does everybody use for hunting boots?

Default what does everybody use for hunting boots?

Ok, I'm tired of wet feet!!! What does everyone use for Moose/Caribou/Deer hunting? I have used rocky in the past, and they have doen well, until my dad melted the sole of my boot!!! It's not too waterproof now. I bought another pair of Rockies cause I had such good luck with them, they felt like very supportive slippers. Well they support well still, but are horrible when it comes to staying dry. They say they are gore-tex, I have checked all around the toungue and can't find any holes, but i instantly get wet with them when I get NEAR any water. I'm ready to buy a GOOD set of boots. If it were a perfect world I would wear a 12.5. But hardly anyone makes a 12.5 so I always go with a 13, which is fine, just put on bigger socks, but if they aren't broken in good......blisters. So what does everyone else use!?!?!?! I am one of those guys who really puts some miles on too, so lighter is better for me!!
    Thanks

Default no problems with these

when deer/moose hunting I use Browning® 800-Gram All-Leather Scrambler Boots. They don't even feel like a boot. They are breathable, flexible, and won't break the bank on price. Cabelas (online) has a tremendous sale on them right now if you have the right size foot. Read the reviews if you check them out.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...013&hasJS=true

For sheep/caribou I use my mountaineering boots. Rocks and tussocks can be hell on ankles, so i use a good stiff soles/stiff upper boot to prevent ankle roll. Makes a world of difference on the tundra.
    http://www.backpacker.com/gear/artic...3,5629,00.html
    I love these boots, pretty much a non-existent break-in period, breathable, durable, They won't break the bank on you either...unlike the majority of mountaineering boots.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Seal Socks.

If you really like the boots you have, try a pair of water proof seal socks. I used them on my sheep hunt and they worked well. Kept my feet dry and did not cause them to sweat too badly. Another trick is to use anti perspirant on your feet. Start using it a week or so before the hunt and continue thru the hunt. Helps keep your feet drier. I use 2 pairs so one can air out. Just a thought.

Steve

If there's climbing involved I use Lowa's. I had Danner's for a long time before that. If it's relatively flat, which usually means wet, I wear Xtra Tuffs.

Having worn Wolverine boots for years at work, I didn't hesitate to purchase these http://www.wolverinebootsandshoes.co...inch-Boot.aspx. They are extremely light and haven't gotten my feet wet.

For Moose or caribou hunting I use Danners, with 400 gram thinsulate, along with a gore-tex sock made by Rocky's, for Mountain hunting, I use the Lowa Banff boot, I like them a little better than the sheephunters, they don't leak at all, and I have worn them through some small glacial creeks, good stiff ankle support too,(sometimes the best hunting boots are the best hiking/packing boot) I still use the gore-tex socks with all my hunts, however they may get a little warm in hotter weather. I know they don't sell snake boots here, well I haven't seen them here, but I had a pair of Lacrosse snake boots and they were comfortable, and waterproofed almost to the knee, noe most snake boots don't normally come insulatted but I have seen them, not sure of the brand, maybe Schnees? But if you can get a hold of a pair of snake boots, they work really well walking in the Tundra and muskeg when hunting caribou and Moose, I have used hip waders and its hard to walk long distances with hip waders, do alot of bow hunting off the Haul road and as you know as soon as you step off of it, you are in some deep stuff, If they would make a lightweight, insulated snakeboot, that would be ideal for Alaska, and not nessecarily for snakes hehehe.......K

Default wet feet

L.L. Bean uninsulated shoe pacs. They have a rubber bottom and a leather top. Get them big enough for 2 pairs off socks and a innersole. They come in different heights and soles. "Schenees" also makes a similar boot that may be better. I have worn this style of boot for moose, caribou and bear hunting for over 30 years. I do not consider them a mountain boot.
    Last edited by .338 mag.; 03-09-2007 at 20:07. Reason: spelling

cabela's alaskan hunter, outfitter series 10" 600gram boots, xtratuffs, whites pacs. what are wet feet?

I'll second what highcountry said... I still wear the Seal Skinz as well, the key to those is not pulling them on too tight or your foot will cramp up BAD. If you leave a tiny amount of room, they'll be really comfortable and keep your foot dry.

I bought a pair of Lacrosses about 5 years ago and my feet still stay dry. Its time to buy new ones, only cuz they are just plum wore out. I had a set of vasques and to me they were the best. I also got them a little to hot near a fire and then my puppy finished them off, unfortunately I cant find them up here and I dont mail order boots.

You could also try Muck Boots. They make good water proof boots, and they also make rubber boots that are designed for hunting rather than brands like Xtra Tuff that are made for working and walking on a flat surfface. What boots work best is all going to depend on what kind of terrain you are dealing with in your hunt.

Default Much boots

Another vote for much boots if not doing alot of climbing. Their warm and dry.

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for all your responses!!! Keep them coming, I'm going to try all of these on a sometime or another, as everyones feet are different, and see which ones work the best!!!
    Thanks again!
    Tim