Thread: Alcan Lately???

Default Alcan Lately???

Anyone ran it this spring so far??? I'm running it and gragging 10k lbs of baot with me from Michigan. Heading all the way to Homer. Any road reports??

Abel,

Yes, there is a lot to report on. I just made the run north from Pa. with my wife and critters, with about five ton in tow behind my F-250.

The road from Dawson Creek to Whitehorse is in outstanding condition. Please take care to use the pulloffs to check your trailer brakes and set them accordingly. I made the mistake of taking the hill at Taylor at night without setting my brakes for the grade (about a 9% grade for 3 miles) and took the hill a lot faster than was safe. I had to use the emergency pulloff to cool the transmition down (was holding about 3K rpm for about a mile and a half, not smart)and set the trailer brakes right. After that lesson everything was cake and pie until Whitehorse.

Be advised, from Whitehorse to Destruction bay the whoopdie-doos get pretty bad. But even that section cannot prepare you for what is to come...

From D-Bay to the border the road is pure hell. I have never seen the Alcan in this area in such poor condition. Every traveller we talked with at Border City agreed. Like ourselves, everone we talked with were Alcan veterans, and to a man, the concensus was unanimus. The roadside is going to be littered this year with trailers needing new axles and tongues. We had one trailer being towed by an Excursion pass us driving like a tailhole, his trailer is now missing its tongue and the trailer is sitting by the road.

It took us 5 hours to drive this section of road. I think once I managed to get my speed up to 45 mph for about a mile. Nothing I can say can really describe the misery you will experience on this section of road. The one good thing about going so slow was seeing all the wildlife. The five bear we saw were the highlight.

If you need more info let me know.

So basically, make really good time from Michigan to Whitehorse.........I was hoping for a nice ride. Guy I talked to on another forum said it wasn't bad at all.

How bad was price of go go juice? (diesel)