Thread: River hunt moose

Default River hunt moose

I am looking to venture out of the norm. This fall and try to get a jet boat and hunt moose. Anyone got any suggestions on rivers to get into some good moose territory.

Yukon is a good starting place.
    BK

You're setting yourself up for a lot of unwanted answers. If you're serious about getting a boat and moose hunting, grab an atlas and look at any river you want that works for you geographically. There's a lot of research that can be done at a basic level. Do plenty of forum searches as a lot of good areas have been discussed. Most of the rivers you can name by memory have populations of moose in huntable numbers, so like I said, pick an area and go from there.

Most people are willing to help but you've got to show you're willing to work for information... You won't get much help until you put forth some effort. Hope this helps!

Word of caution and advice, powerboating isn't as easy as it may appear, jetboating on shallower rivers especially. Start off on the easier major river systems, learn how the boat handles, what it will do in turns, how to use reverse in a jam, what it takes to spin it etc. Carry equipment to help get unstuck from bars. See how the boat runs loaded before you try to put a moose plus all your fuel and gear in it.

Just saying that it will take you a while to become proficient to safely navigate the faster shallower river systems. Things happen very fast going downstream. Check the powerboat forum, go through some threads there, good luck.

A few big guys in the boat is the way to learn. It simulates a heavy hunting load, unloads itself and makes recovery much easier!

I am not certain that "jet boat moose hunting" is out of the norm.
    But with some research there are many options.
    All of us dislike reading the archives of these forums. We ask questions and would prefer immediate (sewcret0 and private) results.
    But by spending a day in the archives you can extract a ton of info on the question you originally asked.
    I did.
    IBEX

What they said,

An empty boat and one with a buddy, a week's worth of gear and hopefully a moose are two completely different monsters. Even if you are on step, you will see more draft and different handling capabilities. Don't go cheap on power, you can rarely have too much. For example, if you are looking at a simple 18 ft sled, you can get on step with rods and a buddy with a 40 powerhead jet, but you will need miles of river to get on step with 500 pounds of meat in it. Simply bumping up to a 60 powerhead on mine makes it a super hauler, for less than one gallon per hour more burned. If you are thinking a larger boat, take into consideration the hull design, many are too heavy or have limited planing surface compared to weight and require a monster motor if you are going to be on step with any kind of load. There is a sweet spot to each kind of boat but there is lots of info on here about what works, what doesn't, and many things inbetween.

When you get your river boat remember there is" no replacement for displacement " don't go to narrow or you will not haul much and as catch it said you cant have to much motor good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 4outdoorjunkies View Post
    I am looking to venture out of the norm. This fall and try to get a jet boat and hunt moose. Anyone got any suggestions on rivers to get into some good moose territory.
    Look into some of the registration hunts on rivers on and just off the Yukon. Lots of hunters but lots of bull moose too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for all the good info everyone. And yes this would be out of the norm for myself and all of those hunting buddies of mine. We are all in the military and have never done a river hunt. Just trying to get away from the parade of hunters in the common areas we have been in the past and at the same time see a little more of what AK has to offer. I will check into the posts on the forum and see what I can dig up. Thanks again for all the responses.

You did'nt say what part of alaska you are in. A big state with differant kinds of rivers.

I think what people are trying to politely point out is:

1. The parade of trucks and 4 wheelers gives way to a parade of jet, surface drive and airboats on basically every navigable river on the road system.
    2. Navigating by jet boat in glacier fed (read abrasive) threaded rivers is an art which is learned with time and mistakes, no way around it.

Check out the surface drive engines that are getting quite popular, much better option when your running in water that simulates sand paper! Mud Buddy is the brand i've been around but there are a few others.

Not saying boat hunting is a bad idea, just don't want you to be disapointed or worse dead trying it!

Get that prop completely out of the water and it gets even easier....
    BK