Thread: King's in Whittier

Default King's in Whittier

Does anyone know exactly where these fish were stocked, or where a good place would be to fish for them?

I talked to the Palmer fish and game, they can tell you were to fish for winter kings and how to locate them. They are deep under the fishballs. looks for birds feeding to find fish balls.

If you're referring to the kings that return to the harbor itself, I used to fish those over on the bank adjacent to the launch ramp and from the inside of the breakwater. That being said, now that the launch area has been changed, it's awfully tight over there and probably not a good place to fish unless you're there really early or really late when there aren't boats present. You can no longer snag inside the harbor (if I'm remembering correctly), but still, it's primarily a sight fishery. You can soak eggs or herring under a bobber, but I used to have good luck watching for the circling schools and casting out in front of them. They would come by every 10 minutes or so, so I'd just pace the bank and cast when they were there.

It should be interesting to see how this run comes back. It used to be a fun little (very little) fishery, so it would be great if they came back in fishable numbers now that they're stocking it again.

I show the following for F&G stockings. Is there another group stocking fish? I assume any spawners would be comprised of 3 or 4 Ocean fish. Maybe a few MASSIVE 6 ocean fish??? lol. Trying to get a feel for where Kings are possible. Big tides might keep me off Cook Inlet this week.

May 30, 2001 Whittier Harbor Chinook Salmon 95,823 4.1 Diploid
    Jun 11, 2002 Whittier Harbor Chinook Salmon 109,763 4.1 Diploid
    Jun 13, 2003 Whittier Harbor Chinook Salmon 109,700 4.2 Diploid
    Jun 09, 2004 Whittier Chinook Salmon 107,705 4.3 Diploid
    Jun 09, 2004 Whittier Chinook Salmon 20,906 4.4 Diploid
    Jun 09, 2005 Whittier Chinook Salmon 118,059 4.0 Diploid
    Jun 08, 2010 Whittier Chinook Salmon 108,881 3.7 Diploid

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I show the following for F&G stockings. Is there another group stocking fish? I assume any spawners would be comprised of 3 or 4 Ocean fish. Maybe a few MASSIVE 6 ocean fish??? lol. Trying to get a feel for where Kings are possible. Big tides might keep me off Cook Inlet this week.

May 30, 2001 Whittier Harbor Chinook Salmon 95,823 4.1 Diploid
    Jun 11, 2002 Whittier Harbor Chinook Salmon 109,763 4.1 Diploid
    Jun 13, 2003 Whittier Harbor Chinook Salmon 109,700 4.2 Diploid
    Jun 09, 2004 Whittier Chinook Salmon 107,705 4.3 Diploid
    Jun 09, 2004 Whittier Chinook Salmon 20,906 4.4 Diploid
    Jun 09, 2005 Whittier Chinook Salmon 118,059 4.0 Diploid
    Jun 08, 2010 Whittier Chinook Salmon 108,881 3.7 Diploid
    This is exactly what i was refering to kardinal, this year its just Whittier, not the harbor... but I have no idea where to start...

If I'm reading that right, there shouldn't be many fish returning this year because they've only been in the ocean for a year?

I caught one, just kind of by accident, 3 or 4 years ago. I was down there for something else, and there was one lone king swimming around the harbor. I had some gear and bait with me, so I put a herring on, casted out in front of the circling salmon, and it just hammered it...I think it had been swimming around in circles for a while and was hungry.

That's how I read it. Few if any fish 5 ocean monsters or one year jacks. But if they are catching them, I suppose that is the best proof. Are they catching or is this the one off fish?

I know there are private hatcheries but the aren't going to do for a terminal sport fishery I wouldn't think.

Same deal in Seward.... Guess it's cook inlet if I want kings.

4 years ago I caught a 38 lb king in Piggot Bay. We also caught 2 others 12 & 16 Lb. One was a white King. The Bay was full of needle fish & herring. we were trolling slow and the downriggers were set at 90 feet
    good luck
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON