Thread: SPOT CONNECT - Iphone Compatable

Default SPOT CONNECT - Iphone Compatable

Anyone seen/used the new SPOT CONNECT. Same as other SPOT (Emergency SatComm alerting etc), but has bluetooth connection to iPhone, IPod touch or Smartphone. You can apparently use the SPOT GPS to give more accurate GPS on your iPhone and use the SPOT Satcomm to send (not receive) text and emails (using the phone as keypad etc), updating your trip/hunt etc.
    Looks real interesting. I personally use my IPhone as my back-up navaid with Topo and marine mapping on it, so this SPOT CONNECT has me interested as emergency comms (although only to get messages out).

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Anyone seen/used the new SPOT CONNECT. Same as other SPOT (Emergency SatComm alerting etc), but has bluetooth connection to iPhone, IPod touch or Smartphone. You can apparently use the SPOT GPS to give more accurate GPS on your iPhone and use the SPOT Satcomm to send (not receive) text and emails (using the phone as keypad etc), updating your trip/hunt etc.
    Looks real interesting. I personally use my IPhone as my back-up navaid with Topo and marine mapping on it, so this SPOT CONNECT has me interested as emergency comms (although only to get messages out).
    I am ready to buy but waiting to hear about the reliability.Not much coming out about it.

I am curious about this as well. Also, for those who use the Iphone, what is the best way you have found to charge it while backpacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcam View Post
    I am ready to buy but waiting to hear about the reliability.Not much coming out about it.
    Yeah, the main thing I am hearing is that the SPOT works well, but the iPhone app is a bit iffy; keeps dropping bluetooth connection. I am now gonna wait for the App to become stable before dropping the $$ on this.
    I do find the iphone awesome as a GPS though; with Topo maps, MotionX and Navionics, it is a good system.

Emergency/back-up charging for the iPhone is something I am really looking into now. A good AA battery back-up is what I need to get.

Anyone looking for a waterproof case for iPhone, check out SEAL LINE.

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/p...e-case/product

I picked up one a while ago. Great waterproofing, fits iPhone 3GS with an Otter communter case and has loops for a lanyard. Takes up no more space than the iPhone itself.

I bought one at the Airmans Show, and like it so far. The app could use a bit of tweaking, but once you get used to the interface, and whats actually happening it isnt bad at all. I think its just like the original SPOT units, where people had trouble getting used to what all the different button/light combinations meant, etc...

It sure is nice having several pre-written messages to send, along with the capability of sending custom texts from the field.

So far, so good!

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Yeah, the main thing I am hearing is that the SPOT works well, but the iPhone app is a bit iffy; keeps dropping bluetooth connection. I am now gonna wait for the App to become stable before dropping the $$ on this.
    I do find the iphone awesome as a GPS though; with Topo maps, MotionX and Navionics, it is a good system.

Emergency/back-up charging for the iPhone is something I am really looking into now. A good AA battery back-up is what I need to get.

Anyone looking for a waterproof case for iPhone, check out SEAL LINE.

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/p...e-case/product

I picked up one a while ago. Great waterproofing, fits iPhone 3GS with an Otter communter case and has loops for a lanyard. Takes up no more space than the iPhone itself.
    I have heard you can get three full charges with this.

http://www.rei.com/product/800240/br...e-power-device