Thread: Juneau Boat Question

Default Juneau Boat Question

I'm still actively looking to move to AK in the next year or so. Been trying for the past 15 months with no luck-but it's going to happen. I'm ready for a new boat in lower 48 but I don't want to get something that just will not work in Alaska. Been searching a lot of the ocean aluminum boats. I'm not going to go over 18k-and I don't want anything too big. I simply want something that's not going to get me killed, can tote a few crab pots, and get me from point A to B without me having to worry so much about a few waves.
    Ideal boat would be something in the 16-21 ft range with a 4 stroke or inboard diesel.
    1. What make should i look for?
    2. Is diesel popular in AK? (want the diesel b/c the off road diesel price plus I prefer the diesel durability)
    3. Do 4 strokes work well in AK?

This will be my 4th boat so I'm starting to understand what I like/don't like. That said-never bought an aluminum boat for the salt. I'm not planning to go off shore -ever again- so anything over 21 is over kill.
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

4 stroke will be fine,as well as diesel. I went with fiberglass, I honestly hate the AL boats, think they ride like crap and all the vibrations, they don't clean up all that well either. But I come from an east coast fishery and love the look a clean white boat and the ride of a deeper vee. Fiberglass is harder to maintain as it nics and dings much easier, so if you plan on loading 4 wheelers n such, I'd go AL. Size range is right for where you'll be, jsut get on a few and see what you like. When you test run, make sure you see how it rides at idle in a chop as well as anchored. Don't test run a dead calm day, any boat will ride nice then. I also went diesel, I don't like working around outboards or engine boxes. If you do go with a gasser inboard or I/O, check for water ingestion. All the newer inboard blocks are prone to it. Older pre 1999 era and carbed motors don;t have the issue.

Don't think I'm going to do the 4 wheeler thing, but it would be nice to be able to load a deer. What is off road diesel running in AK right now? I've had 3 boats and this will be my 4th but my family has had more than a dozen. Everything from skiffs to yatchs. The yatch sunk in a tournament BTW and I was with a bud that layed over his 27 ft Carolina Classic a few years ago. Not a big fan of the off shore bite but realize you can get in trouble a few hundred feet from the doc. Just want to get something I can fish now and wait till the job outlook improves. Also-where do AK people get their exposure suits. (as you can see the safety thing is a huge deal for me)

Don't knw about diesel yet, but will when I return in June. Where you at now? Must esae coast since you mention teh Carolina CLassic. That's what I just picked up. If you would like to be able to beach the boat, especially for hunts, go AL. I put my 17' Mako on teh beach, but had a keel guard and had to be real careful where. I plan on using a small inflatable for beach going. Last my buds in Kodaik said, gas on the island was 4.65 diesel was 4.95, on the road. How many hours do you plan on putting on it a month? For me that was a big factor going diesel as well, no outoboard will push what I have as well as a diesel, and no way will it get anywhere close to to fuel efficiency or longevity.

Abel-my dad bought a diesel Carolina Classic last year. It's the familie's first diesel. We fish North Carolina/Virginia btw. I'm doing absolutely everything possible to move to the Pacific northern coast. Funny you mentioned the Mako-we had one. Great boat, but rode too rough for my dad's back. I think you're spot on with the AL. I'm not much for the clean waxed look and despise going fishing with my dad for that reason. We end up spending more time cleaning and waxing than we do fishing. Would I be right in thinking the diesel keeps better. My 4 stroke will not run on old gas. By old, if it is 10 days old, I don't run it in the boat. I've heard that old fuel will still work in a diesel. Here-they put a dye in the off road diesel and it is cheaper that gas. Last week it was $3. 55/gal. you mention $4.95 being road price-does AK have off-road diesel available most places?

Most fuel docks should carry off road (red) diesel. it's red due to not being taxed. They dye it red so they can tell if you paid road tax on the fuel you have in the tank. On the road in a normal rig, not farm or a boat, and it's red, you're probably in trouble. I actually just sold my Mako, ran it for 3 yrs in AK before moving back stateside last summer. MOving to Kodiak next week. Drove all the way to Miami from N. Michigan to get my Carolina.

Yeah, my dad's Carolina Classic is nice. I'm sure you're going to enjoy yours. He has a World Cat that he's planning to sale. He hasn't even advertised it yet, but he jumped all over the Carolina Classic and parked the Cat last year. A very nice cat BTW. He's not rich, he's just decided that he can't take it with him and I think he's trying to spend any inheritance that would be coming my way. lol. Good for him. I'm glad-I'd probably blow it on another divorce any way. When you get to Kodiak-you'll have to give a report. I've applied to a few jobs in Juneau and Anchorage. I'm a bit concerned about the SADD some people get in AK-but I'm willing to give it a shot just to enjoy AK. I think you understand where I'm going with this thread. I'm planning my next purchase with the 100% intent on it being used for AK salt. Keep me posted if you see a specific AL boat make that you think meets my needs.