Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's using chipped trolling rigs?

Default Who's using chipped trolling rigs?

Anyone using E chips on their trolling rigs? I've heard mixed reviews, still wondering if it's all hype. Oh, and I might as well ask about black boxes while I'm at it, never used either.

I've caught fish on em, the green glow, wether it was the chip or not only the fish will know.

I'm considering a black box, but chips are hype, IMO

Charterboat Operator

The chiped flashers work GREAT, as long as you take the chip out!

They work about as good as a non-chipped flasher..(grin)

Ya, I don't buy the whole "chip" thing. But if I find clips dirt cheap, in the right colors, they get bought.

I've only seriously tested the chipped alternative to Apexes. Don't remember the name, but I've fished the same colors side by side and watched their action in the water. Basically, the chipped ones have a little narrower and faster wiggle than the Apex. Sometimes they work as well as Apex, mostly not quite as well or a lot worse. I've never had them outfish Apex. But I think the diff is due to the action and not the chip. Dunno about the flashers.

Tell me about those apex's! I've never used any, but this old dog likes a few new tricks!

Looks kinda like a real flat flatfish. 2 holes on it, one in the lip, one in the tail. Leader get thread through teh lip, then through the tail, then hok ties on. Normally comes with it pre rigged with a 6' leader. I like to chop that off and shorten it down to 2" for easy of storage. Or you can jst rig it straight on the mainline everytime. Works somewhat like a flatty as well, just wobbles tighter in the water and can troll it faster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Tell me about those apex's! I've never used any, but this old dog likes a few new tricks!
    Here they are: Hot Spot Apex

The chip folks make their version, but I've already commented on them. Basically, they're not as good as herring for kings, but darned close. Better when your herring is getting mobbed by cod or rockfish because the Apex are "re-usable" and you don't have to keep rerigging, much less run out. Trolling them alongside Coyotoes, they almost always win for me. Some folks like them and some don't. As always, folks have their favorite lures and Apex is tops for me.

My favorite for kings on overcast days or chop on the water is #83. Sunny days and calm water I go for #82. Best overall for silvers is #210, but with overcast #86 can be just as hot. Average king fishing I like the A4 or A5 size, but early in the season when big herring are around I have better luck with the A7. Silvers are mostly on A3 and A4. One-size-fits-all is probably the A4.

A couple of things I'll add. I don't like their hooks and leaders. I always rerig with a larger hook, better swivel and heavier leader. My go-to leader is 50# PLine copolymer, and if I could get 40# I'd use that instead. My favorite hook is the 7/0 Mustad #95170 siwash. I bet they only have 20# leader and 2/0 hooks in the package.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    A couple of things I'll add. I don't like their hooks and leaders. I always rerig with a larger hook, better swivel and heavier leader. My go-to leader is 50# PLine copolymer, and if I could get 40# I'd use that instead. My favorite hook is the 7/0 Mustad #95170 siwash. I bet they only have 20# leader and 2/0 hooks in the package.
    Apexes are popular down here in San Francisco. We usually re-rig with 40# and a 6/0 Mustad Siwash hook. Reaming out the holes the line goes through is a good idea too; there can be some sharp edges in there, particularly on the metallic colored ones. Watermelon is a popular color down here. I also see it occasionally around Elfin Cove. We often run them behind flashers on a 4' to 5' leader.

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    Apexes are popular down here in San Francisco. We usually re-rig with 40# and a 6/0 Mustad Siwash hook. Reaming out the holes the line goes through is a good idea too; there can be some sharp edges in there, particularly on the metallic colored ones. Watermelon is a popular color down here. I also see it occasionally around Elfin Cove. We often run them behind flashers on a 4' to 5' leader.
    Amen on the reaming. And we rig them pretty much the same behind a flasher. Never tried the watermelon, but I know where I can get some. Thanks for the heads up!

If I had one color to pick for salmon and trout, great lakes or west coast, it'd be Watermelon.

Switch to Brad's super cut plugs, and you will never go back to anything else ~ hootchies, herring cut plugs or whole herring, apex's, spoons and etc. Its the only thing I fish anymore for Salmon.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've only seriously tested the chipped alternative to Apexes. Don't remember the name, but I've fished the same colors side by side and watched their action in the water. Basically, the chipped ones have a little narrower and faster wiggle than the Apex. Sometimes they work as well as Apex, mostly not quite as well or a lot worse. I've never had them outfish Apex. But I think the diff is due to the action and not the chip. Dunno about the flashers.

Thats good to know. Funny thing is Walmart was selling a bunch of Apexs on sale this winter, probably to get rid of overstock for the year so I bought a few cause they looked good but they were unchipped. Sounds like I have something to add to the arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Switch to Brad's super cut plugs, and you will never go back to anything else ~ hootchies, herring cut plugs or whole herring, apex's, spoons and etc. Its the only thing I fish anymore for Salmon.
    I've got a pile of those things, and still haven't caught a king on them! Flash/hooch is hot this year! It'd be tough to beat o39r.

thanks! I'll give them a shot.

Here they are: Hot Spot Apex

The chip folks make their version, but I've already commented on them. Basically, they're not as good as herring for kings, but darned close. Better when your herring is getting mobbed by cod or rockfish because the Apex are "re-usable" and you don't have to keep rerigging, much less run out. Trolling them alongside Coyotoes, they almost always win for me. Some folks like them and some don't. As always, folks have their favorite lures and Apex is tops for me.

My favorite for kings on overcast days or chop on the water is #83. Sunny days and calm water I go for #82. Best overall for silvers is #210, but with overcast #86 can be just as hot. Average king fishing I like the A4 or A5 size, but early in the season when big herring are around I have better luck with the A7. Silvers are mostly on A3 and A4. One-size-fits-all is probably the A4.

Flashers, they do indeed work. They are LED devices that strobe within the lure or attach outside of the bait presention to bring the curious fish to the hook.

No. I am not in the business. I sold that business. The current owner now advertises on this very directory. The product line continues to evlove and continues to improve, and yes, it is Chinese technology.

If you are an armchair skeptic, I don't mind, but I will tell you this: In control situations of same location with same bait, those that were presented with flasher inducement outcaught those without on a 3:1 margin. It was through the ice, and on fixed tip-ups. It doesn't get more controlled than that. These were not my measurements as the former owner. These were the measurements of a pleased consumer. This information is documented in photos and narrative, as well as other endorsements. Simply put, the industry is changing, and there is supportive truth of that change.

And please, don't harangue me about China. Unless you have been there, lived with the people and worked alongside the factory workers, spent money and have done international commerence with them, your opinion is armchair. Yet, it is still your entitlement to have an opinion, and you can take that into the Global Discussion Forum if you so wish.

Back to fishing and flashing; I mentioned the product line is improving and in perpetual development. I asked the new owner for samples to bring with me to test in Kodiak and that trip is now less than a month away. I'm not being paid to test, I have no vested interest, I am simpy curious to examine the results of my of my first trip to Beijing of July 2005 when I sweated out the intial development of the start of the product line. The new owner will have the results. For certain he'll post them on his website, and anyone can view them.

China offers vast opportunity in the fishing industry simply because they make many of the components used in it. I am returning to Beijing in less than eight months to investigate some of these posibilities first-hand. I'm flying First Class from Tampa to Chicago and Business Class Elite from Chicago to Beijing. Round trip, the cost of that ticket on American Airlines was $7,565.00. I did it with mile saver miles and only paid $40.00 in taxes for the flights. It's amazing how "full" life can be if you take the time to figure out how to fill it.

There is a world of fishing opportuniy out there that has decent application in Alaska. I am fortunate to have been on the discovery end of the line and am more than pleased to share what I learn to those who wish to cast with it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Huh? Florida dude say what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Flashers, they do indeed work. They are LED devices that strobe within the lure or attach outside of the bait presention to bring the curious fish to the hook.

No. I am not in the business. I sold that business. The current owner now advertises on this very directory. The product line continues to evlove and continues to improve, and yes, it is Chinese technology.

If you are an armchair skeptic, I don't mind, but I will tell you this: In control situations of same location with same bait, those that were presented with flasher inducement outcaught those without on a 3:1 margin. It was through the ice, and on fixed tip-ups. It doesn't get more controlled than that. These were not my measurements as the former owner. These were the measurements of a pleased consumer. This information is documented in photos and narrative, as well as other endorsements. Simply put, the industry is changing, and there is supportive truth of that change.

And please, don't harangue me about China. Unless you have been there, lived with the people and worked alongside the factory workers, spent money and have done international commerence with them, your opinion is armchair. Yet, it is still your entitlement to have an opinion, and you can take that into the Global Discussion Forum if you so wish.

Back to fishing and flashing; I mentioned the product line is improving and in perpetual development. I asked the new owner for samples to bring with me to test in Kodiak and that trip is now less than a month away. I'm not being paid to test, I have no vested interest, I am simpy curious to examine the results of my of my first trip to Beijing of July 2005 when I sweated out the intial development of the start of the product line. The new owner will have the results. For certain he'll post them on his website, and anyone can view them.

China offers vast opportunity in the fishing industry simply because they make many of the components used in it. I am returning to Beijing in less than eight months to investigate some of these posibilities first-hand. I'm flying First Class from Tampa to Chicago and Business Class Elite from Chicago to Beijing. Round trip, the cost of that ticket on American Airlines was $7,565.00. I did it with mile saver miles and only paid $40.00 in taxes for the flights. It's amazing how "full" life can be if you take the time to figure out how to fill it.

There is a world of fishing opportuniy out there that has decent application in Alaska. I am fortunate to have been on the discovery end of the line and am more than pleased to share what I learn to those who wish to cast with it...

Rosenberg/Florida

Who? what? Huh? How? Say? um? ya?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast