Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eklutna Tailrace

Default Eklutna Tailrace

Has anybody heard of them kings moving up the Knik into the tailrace yet? I jetted up there last week, the water is still too low to get in and no Kings yet. Just wondering what ya'll know..."fishon"

Still early. Early to mid june is my guess for those kings to start running through

I was out there a few days ago and that part of the river was still too low to cover the dorsal fin of a king. They won't move in until the water comes up at least another foot or two. Maybe mid June? I didn't even see any dollies looking for snacks and they usually move in a couple of weeks before the kings.

Catching kings in the tailrace is a myth, anyway. Odds are roughly the same as winning the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Catching kings in the tailrace is a myth, anyway. Odds are roughly the same as winning the lottery.
    Well said lol. It's almost as if it's own urban legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    water is still too low to get in and no Kings yet.
    sounds like you answered your own question
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    sounds like you answered your own question
    I think he meant that the water was too low for his boat...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Yes that is correct, there is plenty of water for the fish but I need at least 10 inches to come off step...ha! ha! ha!.."fishon"

Anyone here ever try the tailrace farther downstream? Like way down on the Knik? Know of a couple of guys that always head down there and get fish. They start picking up fish by Memorial day weekend. Water is too shallow in the tailrace so they fish it at the mouth, not by the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Anyone here ever try the tailrace farther downstream? Like way down on the Knik? Know of a couple of guys that always head down there and get fish. They start picking up fish by Memorial day weekend. Water is too shallow in the tailrace so they fish it at the mouth, not by the parking lot.
    I haven't, but I bet with a boat and some trial and error you could find some good holes downstream, especially when the reds and silvers start coming in. Half the fish I catch at the race are reds just staging for a bit. Last year in one limit of 3 fish I had three species: a red, a chum, and a silver. I know the red and chum were bound for somewhere else, so it's just a matter of finding some holes and seams downstream that the fish use.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I haven't, but I bet with a boat and some trial and error you could find some good holes downstream, especially when the reds and silvers start coming in. Half the fish I catch at the race are reds just staging for a bit. Last year in one limit of 3 fish I had three species: a red, a chum, and a silver. I know the red and chum were bound for somewhere else, so it's just a matter of finding some holes and seams downstream that the fish use.
    Be careful on how far you go:

Eklutna Tailrace, and all waters within a 1/2-mile radius of its confluence with the Knik River, and
    to an ADF&G marker located 2 miles downstream of the confluence is open to fishing for king salmon from Jan. 1–Dec. 31

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Be careful on how far you go:

Eklutna Tailrace, and all waters within a 1/2-mile radius of its confluence with the Knik River, and
    to an ADF&G marker located 2 miles downstream of the confluence is open to fishing for king salmon from Jan. 1–Dec. 31

That just applies to kings I think. I realize that's the topic, but I was thinking more generally, as I still don't really think Eklutna is going to ever be a viable king fishery. I wonder why F&G continue to waste fry by stocking it, as the return has never been significant and they don't bite anything once there.

Not a myth. I've seen a king pulled out. In 2007 a 10 ten year old boy next to me pulled out a 30lb'er. I havn't fished there for kings since

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Not a myth. I've seen a king pulled out. In 2007 a 10 ten year old boy next to me pulled out a 30lb'er. I havn't fished there for kings since
    I've tried fishing it every year for the last 8 or 9 years. In that time, I've seen one king legally caught. So yeah, I guess technically they do they do exist....lol.

I've seen lots of kings there...they just don't seem catchable for whatever reason. They get into the race and go all lockjaw. I've hooked a couple fishing at the mouth in the Knik itself, but they've taken off with the current and gotten away. I dunno, that's why I said I don't think it's ever going to be a viable fishery. There's a few caught, but not enough to justify the whole fishery IMO.

I have seen 2 caught and I landed anther one my self in the last 5 years. I know what you mean about the lock jaw............was lucky enough to line mine threw the mouth.

Does anyone known if there was anything proved in regards to the theory the returning kings going to eklutna river because there imprinted in eklutna lake's discharge water??? or other theories why this hatchery plant has never taken off?

I have caught two there so it is not impossible. It cant be Eklutna Lake/River because it is on the other side of Goat mt and Twin peaks from the Tailrace, the only thing the two places have similar is that they empty into Kink Arm. I have seen lots of fish there rolling but they are hard to catch i think it has to do with the Water level and temperature swinging so much.

The water (when discharging) from the tail-race is from Eklutna Lake the same source of Eklutna river. It was talked about a few years ago as a theory as why the tail race has not materialized into much; the theory being returning kings were hitting Eklutna river since there imprinted on the same water source. I wonder how much it was examined. I have only caught one king there; it was the first year with returning adults whatever year that was. My son (about seven or so) woke me up in the middle of the night and said let's go fishing...(cant beat that) we walked up and plunked some eggs with a spin n glo and within two minutes caught a nice bright 25ish lb hen. Everyone thought I new some trick as no one caught anything all day. It was all over this forum and AOJ. You would have thought the fishing was awesome by the posts....it was'nt I was just lucky that night. There is some reason for the kings not materializing there though.

Quote Originally Posted by leadworm View Post
    The water (when discharging) from the tail-race is from Eklutna Lake the same source of Eklutna river. It was talked about a few years ago as a theory as why the tail race has not materialized into much; the theory being returning kings were hitting Eklutna river since there imprinted on the same water source. .
    The kings are a bit of a mystery for sure... I'm betting the water temperature/fluctuation probably has something to do with it. The silver run to the Tailrace works just fine, in fact it's one of the better places to silver fish near anchorage when compared to Ship, Bird, and the other enhanced fisheries. Granted there may be a few Jim Creek silvers drifting into the hole but if it was all Jim Silvers then you would expect to see more Jim Reds Caught too and you don't.

I think the king runs to the north have just all been crap for the last several years. Even Ship has been shaky

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    The kings are a bit of a mystery for sure... I'm betting the water temperature/fluctuation probably has something to do with it. The silver run to the Tailrace works just fine, in fact it's one of the better places to silver fish near anchorage when compared to Ship, Bird, and the other enhanced fisheries. Granted there may be a few Jim Creek silvers drifting into the hole but if it was all Jim Silvers then you would expect to see more Jim Reds Caught too and you don't.

I think the king runs to the north have just all been crap for the last several years. Even Ship has been shaky
    I tend to fish more in the Knik than the race, and I probably catch at least as many reds as silvers....course I tend to do more of a flipping technique than most people out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast