Thread: The end of crow creek rd????? (Girdwood)

Default The end of crow creek rd????? (Girdwood)

I drove up there the other day and it looked like awesome blackie country. I checked the regs and it says you can shoot 1 black bear. This is in GMU 14C. My plan was to walk a bit down the Crow pass trail and sit and watch for a good part of the day. Any one ever done this?? How'd it go???

Never shot a bear out there but I've run into many. Just glass the hillsides for the first three-four miles.

You say you drove out there the other day, how are the road conditions up to the parking area?

btw after May 31st it's closed for black bear till Labor Day.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

We have done it drive to the parking lot the start of the trailhead. Start hooting and glass the hill sides they are up there. But when you drop down to cross crow creek that hill is one steep mother. We broke ourselves off that was a hard hump it is steep! But some big bears up their! Probably have better luck in the fall when they are on the hills eating berries.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Never shot a bear out there but I've run into many. Just glass the hillsides for the first three-four miles.

You say you drove out there the other day, how are the road conditions up to the parking area?

btw after May 31st it's closed for black bear till Labor Day.

I may be wrong but isnt Crow Pass in "remainder of 14c", therefore, "no closed season"???? Just checking since I was planning on goin there as well.

Yes this is true. It is the remainder of 14C so the May 31st shutoff is not in rule. Ripnlip if you would like to come scout it out with me i would enjoy the company.

I thought CC pass was in the Chugach Forest which has that restriction.
    No time to look into that right now, am I wrong here? I wanna be wrong here!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I called Fish&Game, you are right. The trail from the Girdwood side is in remainder of 14c, and when you cross the pass you get into Eagle River Management areas. Thanks for the heads up

[QUOTE=tailwind;946882] You say you drove out there the other day, how are the road conditions up to the parking area?

I drove past the bridge and made it about 1/2 way to the parking lot but got stopped by a snow slide! Wish there would have been a sign that said "road closed" or something. Had to back up till i finally found a place wide enough to do a 5 point turn around. This was last saturday so it wont be long till you can drive to the end and hoof it from there. Never been up that road to see the crow creek community, interesting place to live.

I did the same thing about 3 hours ago. I'm gonna bring a snow shovel tommorow! It looked like there was room for small 4WD or a 4 wheeler, but that's it.
    Saw this guy on the drive, too close to house's or I woulda taken a crack at him. There is always tommorow
    Attached Images Attached Images

R you allowed to use atv's on the road there or even on the trail... Just curous

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    R you allowed to use atv's on the road there or even on the trail... Just curous
    On the road yes, on the trail no.

Well i drove up today and walked up to the first rige after the two switchbacks. VARY rough country. could be killer fall if taken. no bears. lots of snow on the hillsides. might try again in the next week. just hunt the mountain side the trail is on. crossing over would be a bad idea....