Thread: 240 sport jet

Default 240 sport jet

I have a 2002 Ali Craft 20' jet boat with a 240 mercury sport jet. I've been having problems with it cavitating. my ride plate and stomp grate took a pretty good beating in the skinny water down here in SW Colorado. I've replaced the stomp grate and ride plate, taken the nicks out of my hi-skeww impeller. it's way better but it still cavitates at around 4800-5000 rpms. if I go wot it really cavitates. seems to bite better turning left than right. any suggestions?

Any significant dents in front of the intake?

Sorry, I can't add anything to the cavitation, however how is your 240 on fuel and do you get significant smoke during cold start?

there was a torn spot in the uhmw but I repaired it, doesn't smoke alot, 7-8 gal per hr.

does anyone have any negative feedback on the hi-skew impeller?

Quote Originally Posted by dwclear View Post
    Sorry, I can't add anything to the cavitation, however how is your 240 on fuel and do you get significant smoke during cold start?
    My 240 loves fuel and from what I understand the smoke at start up is from the extra shot of oil to help against dry starts...

Quote Originally Posted by colorado jet boater View Post
    does anyone have any negative feedback on the hi-skew impeller?
    Look up Toshiro, {tjm}, Threads. Northway just posted a bit ago, that he liked the change.
    He did alot of testing of these impellers.I would start with the bottem and a straight edge
    As you are not getting clean water flow to that grate,I believe you will find some humps/or wollows in your hull taking the water away from the jet, mid section, on back because gets worse as go faster. the boat rises farther out of water.

Default 240 sportjet

my problem with slipping at w.o.t. ended up being a leaking ride plate seal. fixed it and the boat is running great again. thanks for your help. Mike.