Thread: Uncharted Rocks you've found

Default Uncharted Rocks you've found

I figured we could use a new thread so that the uncharted rocks members have found, could be added to our charts.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

From breausaw:

I hit an uncharted rock this weekend up Well Passage between Avery River and Golden, above the 10 fathom line;

These are the coordinates best I can figure from my track, they should be close enough were you’d give this area a wide birth.
    N60 59.630
    W147 59.388
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Since most of the charts have a notation on them that they have not been updated sice the quake of 64, I would figure on everything being up to 14 feet off.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

http://www.nauticalchartsonline.com/...ts-Alaska.html

Good charts, I've asked about the survay dates but I think since 1964 they did a new one, all the sound? I think NOAA finished in 2001

Chart 16700 has that area listed as Rks (rocks to the unwashed)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Got me to thinking, so I contacted NOAA and this is the email; one thing to remember is the scale of your chart, broad area is not as detailed as narrow area, 16700 is not near the detail as 16711 or 16712, if it's old the survay date and here is that answer.
    I'm sure given the very correct Lat/Log there is a place on NOAA (Notice to Mariner) to log a truely uncharted anything.
    OCS Inquiry: 16711

Original message: For the Prince Williams Sound in Alaska chart 16700 for example. I would like to know the survay date on a chart, or when was the last NOAA survay done for a area.
    Thanks Dan

OCS response: Thank you for contacting NOAA. It is difficult to assign one survey date to one chart because different areas of the chart have different times of survey. If you view chart 16700 on line at:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16700.shtml

Pan/zoom to the upper right hand portion of the chart and you will find a small panel titled "Source". This will show you the vintage of individual surveys. You will see that those areas labeled "A" have been surveyed during the year 1990-2004 with full bottom coverage techniques. This is the best method for survey we have (multibeam sonar).

If you are interested in viewing particular surveys, you can find them on line at www.ngdc.noaa.gov

Best Regards

I got a good rock; entrance of Hidden Bay, one rock is normally above water except at high tides. I mometarily parked my boat on top of it at 1:30 am. Rock not on Garmin charts !

Quote Originally Posted by M Gho View Post
    I got a good rock; entrance of Hidden Bay, one rock is normally above water except at high tides. I mometarily parked my boat on top of it at 1:30 am. Rock not on Garmin charts !
    And thats why I carry a paper chart that has been waterproofed! Along with the Garmin Chartplotter.
    My chart also has distances marked for certain areas. From Whittier to a certain spot outside Pt Cochrane is marked at so many miles, then another one near the Mouth of Culross Pasaage Then down by Main Bay, North point near Perry Island etc. That way if I decide to head somewhere new it is easy to calculate the miles to see if I have the reserve fuel to go or not.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Aren't the Garmin charts off satellite and the lastest bottom survey? What about the "blue" water they show which is shallow, is that up to date with the eastern PWS that rose up to 14 feet? Not all of PWS rose, it was my understanding that the western sound towards Whittier sunk about that much...

OK...here is an uncharted rock, sorry I don't have coordinates but it lies off Bidarka Point coming into Tatitlek Narrows from the south, it is about halfway between the shore and the Ferry route marked on my Garmin. Only at low tide is it partly visible, can be above water at minus tides. Not on chart, they show all rocks close to shore and this one is 150-200 yards from shore...

It's on a lake not open water, however, it's a hidden one. If you ever take your boat to Hidden lake, there is a very big rock about 100 yds past the first island. It lined up between the first and second islands. On calm days you might make out a ripple in the water, but just a small breeze hides ie.

Default Anyone know where "Browbaker" Rock is?

I was told about an uncharted rock near whittier that was hit by a CGA boat some time ago...anyone know it's location

Theres uncharted rocks all over Eshamy/Crafton area. Its so dangerous I'd stay away from the place entirely

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I was told about an uncharted rock near whittier that was hit by a CGA boat some time ago...anyone know it's location
    Those guys have a knack for hitting rocks. Charted rocks! Entertainment for Whittier berth holders for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Theres uncharted rocks all over Eshamy/Crafton area. Its so dangerous I'd stay away from the place entirely
    Those are commercial fisherman, not rocks. You are right though, they are dangerous! They are all over, and move in an erratic manner, watching their nets and not boats around them.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Those are commercial fisherman, not rocks. You are right though, they are dangerous! They are all over, and move in an erratic manner, watching their nets and not boats around them.
    In my experience, it's the puker boaters who are dangerous! I think fullbush is tactfully trying to keep the pukers away.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I figured we could use a new thread so that the uncharted rocks members have found, could be added to our charts.
    Look for the green-painted rocks; those are the unexpected rocks that I've found.

P.S. The color of my hull is green.

Beware of Pakenham reef up Port Wells. Reminds me of my very expensive shrimp opener last year. This time of year, it gets very shallow thru there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Uncharted rock or rocks in the manning rocks area...gave me a scare when we were trolling there..if I had known about this thread I would have gotten coordinates.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!