Thread: Gulkana info please

Default Gulkana info please

Hello all. I've been occasionally following AOD for about a year now (primarily hunting), and I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge that the contributors possess and share. AOD is an awesome forum! I'm looking for some info on the Gulkana River. In late June, and under normal conditions, is the stretch between Sourdough and the Richardson Hwy navigable in a 16' jon boat with a prop? How about between The Richardson Hwy and the Copper River? Thanks

I'm not sure if a prop is got or not, but ALL the guides I've ever seen on the river use jet units.

Quote Originally Posted by Sightseer View Post
    Hello all. I've been occasionally following AOD for about a year now (primarily hunting), and I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge that the contributors possess and share. AOD is an awesome forum! I'm looking for some info on the Gulkana River. In late June, and under normal conditions, is the stretch between Sourdough and the Richardson Hwy navigable in a 16' jon boat with a prop? How about between The Richardson Hwy and the Copper River? Thanks
    The quick answer is no. Many parts of the river are too low and the prop will get destroyed. We see some jet boats down there but mostly rafts. It is a very nice 2 day raft trip and it offers some of the best KIng fishing out there. Far fewer fisherman because of the difficulty in getting to the river so a Raft is you best bet is reaching all of those special holes.

Drop me a PM if you need any additional info.

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www,gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-822-4290
    mile 127.5 of the Richardson

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like my boat is out. Gulkana Rafting - I'll be sure to contact you for a rental if we decide to go!