Thread: Memorial weekend on the salt, where to go?

Default Memorial weekend on the salt, where to go?

All,

So I've done some shrimping out of Whittier, never been to Homer. Will have my boys and a friend. I have not done well out of Whittier for halibut, and understand it's more difficult fishing. I'd like kids to catch some fish and dunno where would be better. I know that out of Whittier we would be hanging out on the boat for a few days and maybe more wildlife. Are kings still available out of homer?

I just need some help or suggestions

Dan

With kids, go with the better weather. Watch the reportsall week and then decide where to go based on the best weather. Hopefully it will be nice everywhere and you will have choices to make. Both PWS and K bay can offer good kid fishing!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I agree with polardds about the weather.Especially with kids.
    There will be plenty of kings out of Homer on Memorial day plus rockfish and halibut as well.Seems to be a lot of cod this year but for kids that's a good thing.Just do it and make some memories.....

I am Homer bound to troll for Kings and catch some halibut/rockfish (and cod apparently). The draw to me is that if the water is too bumpy I can always go fish the rivers for Kings. Also I think there are more kid friendly activities in Homer if the weather is bad, have a fire on the beach and roast some hot dogs, go catch cod off the end of the spit or go play in a park etc.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I agree with earlier posts, let the good weather forcast dictate the boating/fishing. The time with the family will be rewarding regardless, I am sure.

Have a safe and fun trip !

You can catch cod at the end of the spit? What are you using to fish from the shore for cod? Is it overly crowded there?

You can use just about anything to catch a cod on the end of the spit... .a wet noodle would work. I just used a herring rig with half a herring on it and a 1 oz weight about 2 ft back. Bought everything I needed from the gear shed on the spit. You catch cod, flounder, starfish, ugliness of all types... if good fun for kids and the cod are supposedly good eating. Heck this time of year you could get lucky and pick up a king as well... you never know.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The end of the spit is good for kids, park next to Land's End in the dirt/gravel and walk on down. If you are wondering what to use, just watch the few folks down there reeling them in on every cast. Lot's of pollock, lemon sol, flounder, sculpin and other denzins of the deep. Every now and again someone will get a salmon or a small halibut. If the kids get bored or have to use the rest room Land's End is a big help. You can even buy an overpriced lunch there and get in out of the weather!
    I was just down at the lagoon yesterday and it was totally dead. If you are out on the water, go across the bay around Gull Island and in by the islands around Sadie Cove/Tutka Bay area and troll with herring or drift and jig off the bottom. I was getting frustrated pulling in Pollock and Irish Lords as opposed to rockfish and halibut. I guess I shouldn't complain as it was fishing.
    Have fun!

Mountaintrekker

You go to Whittier to float around in the boat and not catch anything unless your willing to get out there.

You go to Homer, pray for good weather, and consistently catch good halibut, rockfish and salmon.

Yes, Kings are available out of Homer. Should only get better.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Pike, The shrimp more than make up for the fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Pike, The shrimp more than make up for the fishing.
    And the crowded boat launch and crappy parking lot almost cancel out the good shrimping, I vote Homer
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I was voted into Homer fr the weekend. Well that, and the boat it already there. Given the choice, I still have to admit if my blood pressure would take the pains associated with PWS, I love that place and would be there this long weekend had the misses not temorarily cancelled my voting rights. Homer will still be fun, better fishing anyway--but is sure the heck is not as beautiful, not as calm, and not as much areas to explore as the PWS. I am still a PWS newbie and am just facinated with the place--oh, and the shrimping is a hoot too.

End of the day, as long as your with friends or family, Whittier, Seward, Homer, it really doesn't matter. All are great in their own ways, I just have PWS presently on the brain.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Well, I ended up in Homer. Tried to take the Super Leopard across the bay, with a plan to mess with the rockfish and maybe a halibut, but had motor trouble instead. Now it's Monday morning and I'm sitting in the parking lot of the Anchor River tractor launch company, waiting to take som pics of the tractor launch in operation. We need the pics for our saltwater fishing pages.

Was hoping to fish down here, but this trip looks like a bust.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

We went out of Homer as I got a line on a great chicken hole. Spent the night Saturday at Seldovia and then Sunday in Homer. Was lots of fun and the boys had a great time catching halibut.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    And the crowded boat launch and crappy parking lot almost cancel out the good shrimping, I vote Homer
    They've got a pretty good system worked out now, at least they did over the weekend. Dock attendants helped to launch, recover and generally kept things fairly organized on the docks. The Whittier PD kept things organized and moving at the top of the ramps, and the shuttle back and forth from the parking area helped speed things up a lot. The parking lot still sucks.

My simple approach to Whittier is on a holiday weekend, leave a day early, and come back either a day early, or a day late. We left Thursday night and came back Saturday night, no muss or fuss at the ramp or parking. I did get stuck waiting for the train to clear the tracks when parking on the way out, but other then that, a relatively stress free trip.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have never launched in Whitier in the middle of summer, I have only gone early or late in the year. I have watched the operation down there a few years ago in July, and it was an absolute mess, I was actually checking things out because I take just my son most of the time and he is 9, so I basically launch and retrieve by myself, and I decided it just wasn't doable for me because I don't want to be the guy holding everything up, but I agree that PWS is an awesome place and I love going there, I can't imagine the crowds there if the fishing was as good as Seward or Homer
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation