Thread: Props..3 blade vers. 4

Default Props..3 blade vers. 4

Question for you boat guys. I have a mid 90's Yamaha 35 on a 1648 jon boat. My prop is a 3 blade but in bad shape. I have a buddy who has a prop exact same size and pitch but it's a 4 blade. He claims more power to get up on step with loads. True? Will it work for me? The boat never leaves the lake..

True. Especially if he has done it and it worked.
    You can also screw around with diameter and pitch to get more speed or load carrying capabilities.
    BK

True. I switched dor a number of years because I was hauling bear hunters around quite a bit with all the gear to a remote cabin. It did help me get on step faster.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Generally you will drop down 2'' of pitch when changing to a 4-blade. It will give you better hole shot, more stern lift, and often times better economy at cruise.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I tried one for a while, and all that's been said held true for me. But most of the time I'm running fairly light, and it cost me 6mph at the top end. I'd put it back on quick next time I was hauling a buncha company around, but when it's just my wife and I, the 3-blade gets the nod. Come to think of it, if a guy wasn't "overburdened" with horsepower it might be a good idea to have both and tune for the load of the day. Only takes a couple of minutes. Right now my 4 is in the locker as a spare anyway.

Thanks guys. I usually have the family of four and food and booze for the weekend along with a little spare gas so this might prove to work out great. My buddy wants $90.00 for it. Good deal? Havn't ever priced a prop before..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Thanks guys. I usually have the family of four and food and booze for the weekend along with a little spare gas so this might prove to work out great. My buddy wants $90.00 for it. Good deal? Havn't ever priced a prop before..
    That's a good price if it fits.. most aluminum props start at $100 + and go up from there...