Thread: How late is too late?

Default How late is too late?

Life has been happening and continues.... Not sure when (or even if) I can get bait out this year. How late is too late?

I think it mostly depends on where you are at. Seems you FBX boys start to get hit earlier then me. I bait near Cantwell and don't even put bait out till Mem weekend. This is my 17th year at same location. Earliest I have been hit was 26th of May. I am getting slammed and dealing with more bears then I deserve by June 8th. And the hide thing... I don't pay much atten to it. I have shot bears in 70 deg weather in mid June with BEAUTIFULL hides and I have shot bears in cold weather in late May that have been rubbed. Just get out there when you can and good luck!

I agree,,,June is better. It takes about 7 to 10 days for a hit so see when season closes and go from there. You may have a few days to hunt. Just don't tie up much money in it if you don't have alot a time to hunt. If you use the same spot every year they only get better so keep baiting.

Mine's not out yet. Probably this weekend if I get lucky. I've wasted a TON of time with the early baiting thing and now don't worry until the leaves are out...and they are just starting to bud out around here.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

i just put mine out on the 14th then adding more bait the 21st and im not hunting it until the 27th

The past few springs have gotten very hot. Last year I had 90% of bears rubbed before May 31. This year has been more of a mild spring with temps dropping to freezing at night. I am usually done baiting by June 5th.

I know a couple guys that fly out to their spot and only use a honey burn and have great results. The two largest bears I seen last year was from this group and all they did was burn honey and molasses. So my thought is that it's never too late. When you have a chance set up a small station and have fun with it... Good Luck

Depending on your area, you may have to compete with moose calving to keep the bears around. But if bears are in the area, I don't think it much matters if you put bait out late. The hides might be rubbed, but maybe not. I shot one last year on June 9th and it only had one small thinning patch.
    You might try going heavier on the scents to try and bring them in quicker, similar to what bliss said.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Mine's not out yet. Probably this weekend if I get lucky. I've wasted a TON of time with the early baiting thing and now don't worry until the leaves are out...and they are just starting to bud out around here.
    Roger that, no need to worry it's too late - it's still too early

...a wise man once said 'better late than never'
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    ...a wise man once said 'better late than never'
    and another wise man said Take her easy... and if shes easy take her twice!

its still a little early in my area but should be hot with-in the next few days

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I'm usually done baiting by June 5th the hides tend to be on the rubbed out stage and i notice by the 15th the meat on some of these blackies get a tad bit more rank as they switch their diet from a vegitarian to carnivor. However, if your not near a salmon stream and its a spring like we are having this year you are probably good clear to the 30th when it closes.

Ran into a few at the Deshka Landing that were going out today to set baits for the season.. Meat is good until June 1st (generally) - either way.. take as many as you can. No matter what GMU your hunting, Mr. Moose will thank you.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.