Thread: Garmin 531s

Default Garmin 531s

Anyone have any experience with any of the garmin 5xxs series chartplotter/gps unit combos with the bluechart 2 chip for Alaska?

I found what I think is a pretty good deal if this package is a decent one. I would be using it for trips out of Valdez and Seward 3 to 4 times a year.
    Thanks for any help.
    Ron

I ran the 540S for 3 years with no problems to speak of. GPS signal loss issues that were corrected with a software update. Whatever you decide on check the Garmin website, download and install the latest update.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I have the 546S and this year bought the bluechart chip. It added a lot of detail and I think that the chip was worth it even though I feel like I am getting ripped off - - chip this chip that - cha ching goes garmin.

I found a site offering a $200 rebate when you buy the unit and the chip together. Both the chip and unit are about evenly priced to start with all the other sites I was looking at as well so it seems like a pretty good deal at this point if it's a decent unit.

I have the 545s in my boat with the g2 chip; have found it to be very useful. I really like the chip on fish eye mod to look for below surface structure. I would also agree that the chip is a bit overpriced but they have you over a barrel if you want it.

I would like the larger screen models but there again its about twice the price.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam